Freezups On Youtube on Premium Plus

Radar, Satellite Internet was always the slowest, but great for folks where no cables were available or installed. A few years ago Satellite Internet Speed was very dependent on the type / quality of modem used, but if you are getting decent good internet connections with Wild Blue, that is a bonus.

That is where I am. Satellite internet, LOS RF or cellular connection are my only possibilities. Had all three here over time and the Wild Blue seems to be the better overall. The cellular connection was nice because it was portable. Each one had advantages and disadvantages. None seemed very well suited for streaming video.

Also agree with Diamond Jim and others that previously when just Satellite Receiving I would get AzBox Lockups wiith Premium Plus but as you mentioned the Firmware updates seem to have helped. One other annoying item with AzBox was the changing at Random of the listings from channel listings by Numbers to Alphabetical, then having to press the Yellow Button (I think) to get back to channel listings by Number - has this ever been adressed by AzBox?

I don't recall ever having that happen with the channel listing order. Mine always woke up in numerical order (scanned order) and I could change it to alphabetic, but it returned to numeric if I changed sats or left the TV mode and then returned. It was always the same response so I could count on it. I would rather have it remain in alphabetical order.

RADAR

OK, but how are you switching between the AZBox and the QualiTV? Are they each connected to their own dish/motor system and you just switch the receiver output feed to the TV or PC? Or are you somehow switching the input (IF in signal) from the same dish system to one or the other (AZBox or QualiTV)?

The dish is switched from satellite to satellite by the same motor. The receviers are switched from one to the other by usng the TV inputs. The AZ is on HDMI4 and the the Quali is on componant1. I switch back to the receivers using the TV inputs. When I leave the Quali and then come back it has a dark screen and says no signal. After a few seconds the signal will pop on. When I leave the AZ and then come back the image that I left is froze on the video. That's when I either have to change channels or reboot.

I now have the Quali TV back in operation so I don't have to use the AZ Box unless I have to. Say I am wtching ME TV on SES2 on the AZ. I decide to go over to G17 and watch a ballgame on the Quali. I leave the AZ Box on and still tuned to ME TV. When I go back to ME on SES2 the video image that was left on the AZ is froze. As I said, sometimes changing the channel will unfeeze it and other times I have to reboot to unfreeze it. I agree that using the the remote power button is better than using the power off on the back. I was just wondering if there a any ill effects by doing this?

Hi Diamond Jim. I read your post and I think I know why your are experiencing these problems. Without seeing an equipment list in your signature I'll guess you have one C-band satellite dish connected to two receivers (the Quali and AZ) by a switch of some sort. If you only have one dish and motor you can only watch one satellite at a time. If you turn on the AZ and set it to Me TV on SES2 then it tells the dish to go to SES2 and tune to channel Me TV. Then when you turn on the Quali and set it to a ball game (unless the ballgame is on SES2) on AMC 6 for example then it will tell the motor to move to the other satellite AMC 6 and tune into the game. Since you didn't turn off the AZ it is still set on SES2 and Me TV but there is no signal since the dish is on AMC6. Resetting the AZ or changing channels makes it tell the dish to go back to SES2. Hope this helps,

Kevin

Kevin, what you say makes sense, but it doesn't apply here because the Motorola 922 runs the dish motor. The AZ and Quali have nothing to do with the operation of the dish.

Also, for some reason since I brought this up it does not seem to be doing it now. When I go back to the origonal channel, yes it is stuck, but pops on in a second or two. I have done nothing to try and correct this. This AZ Box is one wackey receiver.

The dish is switched from satellite to satellite by the same motor. The receviers are switched from one to the other by usng the TV inputs. The AZ is on HDMI4 and the the Quali is on componant1. I switch back to the receivers using the TV inputs. When I leave the Quali and then come back it has a dark screen and says no signal. After a few seconds the signal will pop on. When I leave the AZ and then come back the image that I left is froze on the video. That's when I either have to change channels or reboot.

Kevin, what you say makes sense, but it doesn't apply here because the Motorola 922 runs the dish motor. The AZ and Quali have nothing to do with the operation of the dish.

Also, for some reason since I brought this up it does not seem to be doing it now. When I go back to the origonal channel, yes it is stuck, but pops on in a second or two. I have done nothing to try and correct this. This AZ Box is one wackey receiver.

Jim,

Ok, this all makes sense to me now. The 922 decides what sat the dish is aimed at by controlling the motor and the AZBox and the Quali-TV receivers are just going along for a joy ride. But, one or the other or both are going to drop the connection with the last channel they were tuned to because the dish moved while they were aimed at the previous satellite. The dish is no longer aimed there, so they drop signal until you switch satellites and channels on those receivers to match where the dish has been relocated to.

At least it is something close to that, you might have a few personalized specifics in how you have routed your IF input cables from the LNA/LNB to the receiver, but the effect is virtually the same all around.

I can duplicate this action with my AZBox. If the actual signal from the sat is lost, it will either display a frozen "last image" of the channel it was last looking at or it may display the "no signal" message. That seems to depend upon the firmware (image version) installed.

Sometimes the channel will "pop" back in if you return the dish to the original location, sometimes it requires a nudge by channelling up or down and back.

The Quali-TV might zap right back in, almost immediately, but it is an entirely different animal than the AZBox. There is nothing wrong with the AZBox here, it is acting just as it "typically" does. I would have stated that it is acting "normally" but "normally" for an AZBox is not the same as "normally" for any other receiver. I am sure that you comprehend that statement.

Now, I cannot explain WHY it does so, but it just works that way. If I were to theorize the reason why, I would say that the AZBox scans the signal periodically. If the signal is lost, it will still scan for it, but it only repeats its scan on a much slower basis. So, every so often, it rechecks the signal. You notice the great delay in between when it doesn't regain its composure and display the original LIVE signal once again.

Try duplicating this "freeze up" and then just walk away for an hour or more or whatever it takes and come back and check it. I am curious if after a while it doesn't eventually pop back in. I never tried that, I never thought about it before because my AZBox controls the dish. It's only when I drop signal for a long time or when the LNBF gets disconnected somehow from the AZBox input IF line.

RADAR

As I said Radar, it has been working fine the last few days. When I return to the AZ channel, yes there is the froze image and if going back to the same channel it will pop in on a few sconds. If I change to a different channel on the AZ the old image goes away and the new one will pop right on. This was not happening. I had to force a reboot by holding down the remote button. Now it is working normal, if there is such a thing as normal for an AZ Box :rolleyes:.

The Quali was never affected by this. It, like the AZ Box it has a mind of it's own and does screwy things :doh:, but we won't go there now. I have had it long enough to know what to look for and how to correct it.

As I said Radar, it has been working fine the last few days. When I return to the AZ channel, yes there is the froze image and if going back to the same channel it will pop in on a few sconds. If I change to a different channel on the AZ the old image goes away and the new one will pop right on. This was not happening. I had to force a reboot by holding down the remote button. Now it is working normal, if there is such a thing as normal for an AZ Box :rolleyes:.

The Quali was never affected by this. It, like the AZ Box it has a mind of it's own and does screwy things :doh:, but we won't go there now. I have had it long enough to know what to look for and how to correct it.

Jim,

We won't GO there now? LOL. A slight "snicker" erupts in me at this point as I seem to recall a song that was written just for us and the AZBox and possibly the QualiTV, too.

Welcome to the "Hotel California".... You can check out anytime you like, but you can.... NEVER LEAVE! LOL! :)

Okay, it's not quite like that, I am just being goofy with the notion. A little bit too long of a day for me to be too serious at this moment. But, we do learn what items we must live with (at least for now) and we learn what items we can remedy with certain tricks and backdoors. I wouldn't continue to dabble and try with my AZBox if I didn't think that it was worth it. It is worth it, for all of its shortcomings, it still beats most of the other receivers I have played with in many other categories, so I just keep trying (and hoping). Well, you know what I mean.

RADAR

I tried the youtube thing yesterday and again this morning just for fun, both times crashed the system and rebooted. The crash occurs as the video begins to load. Had good network bandwidth, especially in the morning. Everything else works normally on the Ultra. Maybe an issue with the version of flash (flash emulation) that won't get along with the data coming in from the youtube server, or just takes too much processor or memory.
-C.

I tried the youtube thing yesterday and again this morning just for fun, both times crashed the system and rebooted. The crash occurs as the video begins to load. Had good network bandwidth, especially in the morning. Everything else works normally on the Ultra. Maybe an issue with the version of flash (flash emulation) that won't get along with the data coming in from the youtube server, or just takes too much processor or memory.
-C.

Youtube plays fine with E2

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts