Frequency Translation Module (one wire solution?)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Proc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
Motown
I noticed in the D* plan that they mention something called a "Frequency Translation Module" to enable a single wire solution from the dish back.

Will this be something that might be launched with the upcoming "Slimline" 5LNB dish? Or is it in the further off future? A one wire solution would be pretty cool.

Ok...so no one noticed the D* presentation (PDF) that mentioned the one wire solution?

this is funny,

Those of us doing the multiple dwelling installs (Condos and apartments) have had this capability for about a year. the drawback, large, large, large cost up front, availability of parts, trained installers that understand the technology. My suggestion, wait a couple of years to let the pricing come down to a reasonable level, currently for 1 house 4 recievers its around 1100.00 just for the switches, master stacker and the subscriber unit. That cost is not retail, thats a preferred wholesaller cost, retail is over 2g.

woodybeetle said:
this is funny,

Those of us doing the multiple dwelling installs (Condos and apartments) have had this capability for about a year. the drawback, large, large, large cost up front, availability of parts, trained installers that understand the technology. My suggestion, wait a couple of years to let the pricing come down to a reasonable level, currently for 1 house 4 recievers its around 1100.00 just for the switches, master stacker and the subscriber unit. That cost is not retail, thats a preferred wholesaller cost, retail is over 2g.

This topic is mainly for residential installation. I like Dragon have heard about the 1 wire solution for around 2 years now.

woodybeetle said:
this is funny,

I don't think cost is a big issue. The reason the current hardware is so expensive probably has more to do with it being a very niche product that is built in small quantities. If D* were to integrate all the electronics and build 500,000 units a month for the next 36 months (18 million overall to handle upgrades and new customers), I bet the cost would plummet and approach the cost of a current 5x8 multiswitch.

As a matter of fact, E* already has such a switch, the Dish Pro Plus 44, which currently sells for around $200 retail.

Haha, lol, thanks "The Tate". There was no message in your reply except you hit a guy in the head while playing golf and it was more satisfying for you. All kidding to the side, I was just currious why Direct didn't have the one wire thing before Dish. They had the birds up first, claim they are better than Dish, have more customers, etc. etc and the list goes on and on. You would think Direct would of been first. I realize some folks think it is no big deal but there is bunches that do. That is nice just to need one wire to dual tuners for installers and customers too.

kinda of the subject but say a video today about new slimline and other stuff including on demand but the also mentioned a single line DVR. that would be nice.

charlesrshell said:
Haha, lol, thanks "The Tate". There was no message in your reply except you hit a guy in the head while playing golf and it was more satisfying for you. All kidding to the side, I was just currious why Direct didn't have the one wire thing before Dish. They had the birds up first, claim they are better than Dish, have more customers, etc. etc and the list goes on and on. You would think Direct would of been first. I realize some folks think it is no big deal but there is bunches that do. That is nice just to need one wire to dual tuners for installers and customers too.
WHy do they have worse HD PQ? Less HD channels? No mpeg4 HD DVR? You are right. IF D* is so much bigger and better then where's the beef?

charlesrshell said:
Wonder why Direct did not come out with the one wire system before Dish!
Dish has always been first when it comes to advanced equipment. Dish was also the first to use the switch in the lnb ala dish 500 legacy lnb. They were also first using more than 1 satellite to your home, again dish 500. D* came out with thier version later aka paratodos. So what you read is true , it will be here because dish already has it.

Last edited:
stevo/65 said:
Check this out Vurb, i think you will like an honest evaluation. http://reviews.cnet.com/Dish_Network_ViP622/4505-6474_7-31778299-2.html?tag=sub

But how do you know it even works for mpeg4. Is not Dish just sending out Mpeg2 with mpeg4 headers so that older recievers cannot get the new channels? I for one am not going to jump on the mpeg4 bandwagon until I see proof that it looks better. IMO using twice the compression for anything is never a good idea. I think people should be careful about what they wish for. It may not be what they think its going to be.

Last edited:
vurbano said:
But how do you know it even works for mpeg4. Is not Dish just sending out Mpeg2 with mpeg4 headers so that older recievers cannot get the new channels? I for one am not going to jump on the mpeg4 bandwagon until I see proof that it looks better. IMO using twice the compression for anything is never a good idea. I think people should be careful about what they wish for. It may not be what they think its going to be.
Using twice the compression, Bandwidth is an issue with the satellite industry, having to provide every locall channel when available. From my understanding. I hope with D* mpeg 4 move is not just to provide all markets going HD as well as SD. That is alot of bandwidth to cover all markets both SD and HD. I give D* credit for finally going that route. Also D* coming out with the first HDVR? That is new to me, Knowing D* And E** usualy E* is first, and as far coming out with advance equipment. And yes right now they have more HD channels and right now they have the DPplus that allows for bandstacking only using one line.:D

Last edited:
E*s one wire solution is simply frequency stacking right from the LNB if I’m not mistaken. D* has much more to deal with if you consider the AT9 LNB probably covers more band width in just one polarity than E* does with their whole system.
Rick

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts