Status
Please reply by conversation.

red hazard

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 13, 2003
St Louis Metro East (Illinois)
One or collectively both of my HR24s are calling DirecTV 8005315602 at least a dozen times a day (my VOIP service logs all calls). I figured I would run a System Test on both HR24s to determine if there was a phone line connection problem. Both receivers passed BUT apparently System Test does not check the phone line as the two tests did not show in the VOIP call history log. If I manually call the 800 number, it does appear in the log however. According to the DirecTV site, System Test is suppose to check the phone line. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over?

Disconnect your phone lines to the RX's . You don't need them unless you want caller ID.

I do like the OSD CID on both HDTVs. As of 0810 hrs today, 4 calls originated to 8005315602. This could be a problem if I had POTS which in IL is billed by measured service. I guess I can disconnect the phone line from 1 receiver at a time for determining which one has the problem (if its only one), and then complain to DTV though I doubt they would do anything positive. Update: I disconnected the HR24/500, ran System Test and it apparently only "looks" for dial tone as that was the error message given.

Last edited:
If the receiver(s) attempts to call in and cant complete the call it will repeat until it can complete it.
My guess is that with VOIP, since the receivers are essentially using a modem, the call cant complete due to "interference". I just did a quick google and using a modem over VOIP is "iffy" at best.
Since your receivers are connected to the internet you don't need the phone line connection. The call-ins and PPV ordering are handled through the internet connection.

If the receiver(s) attempts to call in and cant complete the call it will repeat until it can complete it.
My guess is that with VOIP, since the receivers are essentially using a modem, the call cant complete due to "interference". I just did a quick google and using a modem over VOIP is "iffy" at best.
Since your receivers are connected to the internet you don't need the phone line connection. The call-ins and PPV ordering are handled through the internet connection.

The STBs are not connected to the internet; I never said they were. Caller ID works fine via its modems as I inferred. My VOIP service uses G.711 codec which is the same as the PSTN (PCM mu-law).

My VOIP service uses G.711 codec which is the same as the PSTN (PCM mu-law).
That does NOT guarantee that your modem communications will be successful. My VOIP service uses G.711 as well and modems generally don't work.

The VOIP carriers have been pretty successful at setting things up so that you need to subscribe to an extra-cost facsimile service for modems to be reliable.

OK here's an update. I disconnected the phone line to the HR24-100 and the repeated DTV home calls stopped. Since the HR24-500 was not initiating calls, I purchased a PPV. Finally after about a week the 500 made one single DTV call home Saturday and apparently reported the purchase as the length of the call was 2+ mins. Since I had not experienced difficulty with DTV home calls for 1.5 years, I did not expect a failed call from the HR24-500.

So now either the HR24-100 is defective or there is a problem between it and my phone hub/patch panel (though the caller ID works fine). My phone lines are all home run (star) configuration w/Cat5E using 3 pairs to each RJ25 jack. Though the line to the HR24-100 sounds good, I'll plug in a 3 line telephone splitter and switch pairs to the 100 to see if that helps. BTW, beware of those with their microcosm experience applying it to everyone else. About 1.5 years ago I came to this forum asking participants using VOIP if they had any trouble supporting DTV dial-up data service. The general consensus was that it does support it without issues. My VOIP using G.711 always tests to MOS 4.2, zero packet loss, and jitter < .5 ms - - that's about as good as it gets on a channel almost half way across CONUS and it will easily support the low speed FSK data stream. Other VOIP codecs using compression algorithms may have issues. I was a Technical Controller for 15 years and did extensive voice-grade channel QC tests. There is a limit to the voice-grade modem speeds via VOIP, as compared to T1 derived PCM channels, predominately due to the phase jitter.

Just hook the boxes to network and be done with it.

1. Did you not read the part about OSD Caller ID which I want to keep?
2. Most ISPs have caps including mine and I don't want DTV downloading all those VOD's to the HR24(s) - - particularly since I use Netflix and Amazon Instant Video and come close to ex$eeding my cap.

1. Did you not read the part about OSD Caller ID which I want to keep?
2. Most ISPs have caps including mine and I don't want DTV downloading all those VOD's to the HR24(s) - - particularly since I use Netflix and Amazon Instant Video and come close to ex$eeding my cap.

It does not auto down VOD over the net and you still get CALLER ID with the network.

This past Thursday I put the problem receiver (HR24-100) on my Google Voice line (same Cat 5E cable run..different pair) but now going into an Ohihai ATA also using a G.711 codec with VOIP and after 2 data calls home, the issue was solved. I have not had any DTV calls initiated since then from the HR24-100. I was just about to use one of my 2 Ethernet connections to the entertainment area for the HR24 as was suggested and then block incoming data from DTV with my router. Anyway, I still have the Ethernet LAN connected to my smart TV and Roku which I prefer. I don't know why the HR24-500 works fine with my VOIPo Grandstream ATA and the 100 doesn't.

This past Thursday I put the problem receiver (HR24-100) on my Google Voice line (same Cat 5E cable run..different pair) but now going into an Ohihai ATA also using a G.711 codec with VOIP and after 2 data calls home, the issue was solved. I have not had any DTV calls initiated since then from the HR24-100. I was just about to use one of my 2 Ethernet connections to the entertainment area for the HR24 as was suggested and then block incoming data from DTV with my router. Anyway, I still have the Ethernet LAN connected to my smart TV and Roku which I prefer. I don't know why the HR24-500 works fine with my VOIPo Grandstream ATA and the 100 doesn't.

Well, they are different manufactures ... ya just never know.

The STBs are not connected to the internet; I never said they were. Caller ID works fine via its modems as I inferred. My VOIP service uses G.711 codec which is the same as the PSTN (PCM mu-law).

But PSTN's internal digital voice uses a lot better internal (fiber) connections with much lower ping and jitter compared to a home internet connection.

Status
Please reply by conversation.