Friday Fun Poll 10/10

How many bolts, washers, or nuts have you lost while working on the dish farm?

• 0..never lost one yet

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • 1-5

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • 6-10

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • 11-20

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • 21-30

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • 31-40

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40-49

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I cant count that high

Votes: 11 26.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Another week...another Friday Free to Air Fun Poll. This one from a member. When I read it I laughed pretty hard as I am so guilty of this

This weeks question.....

While installing or doing maintenance on your dish, how many bolts, washers, or nuts do you estimate you have lost and have had to replace when a bolt, nut or washer slipped out of your hands, banged off your dish, and became lost where you couldn't locate it?

0..never lost one yet
1-5
6-10
11-20
21-30
31-40
40-49
I cant count that high

No bolts, nuts or washers yet, but the SG2100 motor has disappeared.......

The wife thinks she may have put it in a box that went to the dump when she cleaned the porch. I haven't been able to find it anywhere. :mad:

honestly I cant count that high...and it has to do with one thing

SNOW

lost too many bolts, nuts, washers, wrenches in the snow and had to wait until spring. I guess when I shovel off the deck and have a 8 foot snowdrift there, dropping a nut or wrench in it when working on the dish farm isnt the best thing :D

I voted for 11 - 20. Same as Iceberg, usually happens when there is snow on the ground. Usually find them again in the spring, or later! Some, however, are gone forever. I also found that if you didn't have a replacement, its chances of being dropped increased substantially, causing endless minutes of fun using a bare hand to try and find it in the snow. After I bought a box of the washers and nuts I use, it didn't seem like I lost as many!

Had a new twist of the above on Tuesday when I was building a wooden structure up the side of the wall to raise my AMC21 dish up above the roof (interference from the house next door which would have increased dramatically when there would be snow on his roof). I was using a drill bit that kept wanting to stay in the screws I was using when I was finished screwing them in. Twice, it dropped out of the screw before I could grab it, and fell to the ground, but was able to follow its path and retrieve it. Naturally, the third time it fell I didn't see its path, but did hear it bounce around like a ping pong ball on the side of the house, the ladder, etc. Still haven't found it. Now I did have a backup, but it was worn, which meant it wanted to strip the screw head if at all possible, making the job longer, and caused me to use the full range of my expletive vocabulary!

I'm like Tron since I have a flat roof, they don't get lost that often and I don't go up when there is a lot of snow. :)

I have lost some though. Like Keith says, they bounce around and off the mast, support arms or what ever and end up in the concrete blocks and hide underneath.

It is just easier to have spares than spend 15 minutes trying to find a wayward bolt, washer, or nut. :)

Just yesterday I had to fish out a nut from the porch roof gutters.

My least favorite screws are on the LNB holder , I usually motor my dish to the extreme East or West so that I can reach it and I still have to stretch , for some reason I hate those tiny screws ..... I just wish the holder had a locking latch

I would say about 11-20.. Same reason as others have mentioned above. Snow.. It is always much more fun to be installing a dish in minus 20 degree weather, isn't it?

I broke more than I lost. The el-cheapo hardware supplied with "most" metal dishes doesn't hold up to many alignments.

I selected the 6-10 option, but don't really know. (probably selected too low) The percentage of the ones I find when I drop them in the lawn are fairly low. Usually just easier to go get another one.

I never wash my dish.

I do :)

neighbor guy thinks I'm nuts when the C-Band dish is outside the garage and I wash the truck then spray the big dish, soap it up, and spray it off. He looks at me and says "washing dishes huh?"
Usually my response is "well at least I can say I washed dishes today" :D

I voted 11-20. I'm not sure how many actually but thats probably close for dish farm stuff. Overall in all areas it must be in the thousands but most of that is while at work as a mechanic. It get annoying when you don't happen to have a spare and must waste 15 minutes looking for the piece you dropped.:(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts