Friday Fun Poll Extra 5-16

How many of us here are Hams (Amateur Radio Operators)?

• Yes I am

Votes: 18 43.9%
  • No I am not

Votes: 22 53.7%
  • I once was

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Getting my license

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I was thinking another forum!!! hi hi. Bu this is the Shack so... The fun poll, as a poll, probably will expire. I think it might be fun to get a net on 15 or 20 meters -- or packet even although I can not remember filter settings - and I am sure things have changed since I was on packet. (been 12-14 years, although I have a 220 mhz rig and another Kantronics modem and have room for a good 220 vertical or beam. Might try to hit Portland, Yakima or tri cities (Pasco etc) from here!

Coming up on 20 years for me. But as others have said, with the cell phone, internet, and the like...I kinda let it slide to the background. At least I still have equipment for disaster or emergency events for communications of last resort.

Dang, how did I ever miss this thread?? Mr Moderator, at your discretion, merge this:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-shack/135821-how-many-hams-here.html here or delete it...or not. Not sure there is a need to have two of these nearly identical ham threads.

I've been a ham for about 12 years. Back then in Canada there were basic licenses which gave two meter and 440 priviledges, if you got your 5wpm morse, then you also got priviledges on 80 meters. The second year I got my advanced ticket= all bands + 12wpm endorsement. I'm sure there have been licensing changes since then but I haven't kept up. Someone else mentioned ham license plates, I have them also on my truck, VE9WTH.
I'm an occasional listener on 2 meters, and also hf, when I was active, I was on hf in the cw bands.
BTW, up here once you get your license it doesn't run out, so the "once was a ham" choice doesn't apply .....of course if you are a real lid on the air then I suppose you could have your ticket taken away.:D

Got my 1st call, a WB5 in '75 or '76. Let it expire due to new wife/ kid on the way, no time for hobbies. Retested later and got a KA5 call whch I kept when I passed my 20 wpm for my Extra in 1988. Custom (vanity etc) call signs kind of defeats the call asignment cronological heirarchy. I wish the FCC had left it as it was.
No HF gear set up anymore. I have a Kenwood dualbander in the mobile and a Yaesu dualbander HH, but don't get on there much anymore either.
I too have Texas Radio Operator plates, nearly from the beginning.
mel
EDIT - Actually, now that I think about it, the HH is a tri-bander. I always forget about 6M, we have a local ch2 tv here, at least until Feb '09.

Last edited:
Hello fellow hams & FTA guys.....

I only have a few moments before the local VHF/UHF net, but wanted to say that I was surprised at the number of hams in FTA. I have been Extra class since 1989 (got there in a year after I started working on a ticket) nad have been CVE here for SEERAL years. It's a great hobby, though I'm not extremely active -- subject to change.

I'm now new at FTA an this is my first day as a member -- very enjoyable.

Bill N5LRL

I only have a few moments before the local VHF/UHF net, but wanted to say that I was surprised at the number of hams in FTA. I have been Extra class since 1989 (got there in a year after I started working on a ticket) nad have been CVE here for SEERAL years. It's a great hobby, though I'm not extremely active -- subject to change.

I'm now new at FTA an this is my first day as a member -- very enjoyable.

Bill N5LRL

:welcome

Glad to have you here Bill, fta is a lot of fun

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)