Friday Night Lights on The 101 requiring HDCP

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
We've known for a while that D* was working on HDCP requirmenets via HDMI for copy protection, as the 200 PPV Preview channel has long been setup as a test for HDCP.

Tonight, the Friday Night Lights on 101 is giving me the HDCP error. I'm hopeful this is an error, since I was able to view it previuos weeks.

I will be very unhappy if I have to disconnect my HDMI cable (hooked to one TV) and view the program only via my componenet cables (hooked to a different TV).

So will I. I am recording for later viewing. Have not been home to check yet. This is one of the best shows on and am glad we get it 1st on D*.

Perhaps an unannounced part of the 0290 update? You had to know this was going to happen with the way the deal between D* and NBC was set up.

I'v got an odd signal problem on the 101 for friday night lights hd. The screen flickers every few seconds. The other channels don't do this. It's very odd. I don't know if this is also related to the issue of the original poster or not. I am now downloading a previous episode onto my dvr and it plays fine. I have a 37 inch toshiba lcd tv. I think it is an 06 model with 1 hdmi port.

I don't think it is software update related.

We've had HDCP requirements on channel 200 for months. It was kinda considered the HDCP test location.

THis is the first I've seen it on an actual program.
I'd been using that CE cycle for 13 weeks now, and there was nothing changed about HDCP in the software, at least that they told us.

To me, it looks like the turned on the HDCP flag for that program. Why?

I know and accept that my TV does not support HDCP.

My concern is that for months the HDCP has just been a test on channel 200.

Now, today, it is actually blocking programming for the first time.

I am not going to rip apart the wire mess in the back of my HR20s every time I want to watch FNL. In fact, we're what - 3 episodes into the season, and this is the first time it had an HDCP requirement.

I'm asking why they turned on the HDCP flag for channel 101. It's prety sad, I guess I was just hoping HDCP was a far away thing they'd use for PPV. Never though it would affect basic programming.

I know and accept that my TV does not support HDCP.

My concern is that for months the HDCP has just been a test on channel 200.

Now, today, it is actually blocking programming for the first time.

I am not going to rip apart the wire mess in the back of my HR20s every time I want to watch FNL. In fact, we're what - 3 episodes into the season, and this is the first time it had an HDCP requirement.

I'm asking why they turned on the HDCP flag for channel 101. It's prety sad, I guess I was just hoping HDCP was a far away thing they'd use for PPV. Never though it would affect basic programming.
Maybe because of the arrangement with NBC to show FNL early next year they want to do whatever they can to cut down on copying the show. A number of people have said forget waiting, they'll just download copies of it from the net and watch it that way.

I thought if they turned on HDCP that Component cables wouldn't pass through the show either?

If I try to up convert a normal DVD over Component cables I get an HDCP error; this forces me to use HDMI or settle for 480P.

I only mention this because of the number of HD receivers I've seen that are hooked up via Component cables. I always thought the moment DTV started enforcing HDCP there would be thousands of calls to CSR's.

It blocks the component cables until you unplug the non-hdcp TV from the HDMI, then the component cables work.

Their concept is that if you have an non-HDCP TV, they want to require you to use the componenet cables for viewing.

My problem is that I have two non-HDCP TVs, one hooked via HDMI and one via component.

I don't mind if they want to secure their PPV movies, but this is basic programming, seems extreme to me.

They showed a Starz movie on channel 101. I turned to it and said "only can view through component". This was several weeks ago. I don't think it is the same thing because my tv is HDCP compliant.

I recorded last nights show but have not checked it out. I will when I get home.

I got home. Checked my listings and the program was there. I clicked on it to watch it and my receiver re-booted. After the re-boot, last nights Friday Night Lights was gone.

Samsung tells me my tv in HDCP compliant and so does my Dish receiver with the same tv. I do believe this is a bug Direct needs to address.

BTW. Last nights program will air again on channel 101 Friday at 9 pm eastern.

It probably is a bug due to early testing. On my oldest TV with only one DVI port (HDCP) I use a HDMI hub (also HDCP) & everything seems to be working. Sometimes when I switch ports the handshake fails & I have to cycle through the ports to correct.

This is the TV I am having the problem with...
TV:[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Philips-19PFL5422D-19-Inch-LCD-HDTV/dp/B000NV9NX6"]Amazon.com: Philips 19PFL5422D 19-Inch LCD HDTV: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41sqrSHV6QL.@@AMEPARAM@@41sqrSHV6QL[/ame]
Receiver: H20-600

I dvrd it tonight and everything is well. I hope Direct did get this problem fixed.

Well, I tried again tonight, and FNL still requires HDCP.

I also tried several other programs / times on the 101, and all got the HDCP message.

So it is not program related, rather they've set the whole channel to require HDCP.

I have to think this is an error of some sorts, seems like a bad decision to require it on the 101 channel.

I still get the error message, briefly when I tune to channel 101. It does go away about one or two seconds after tuning to the channel. I am able to view and record through hdmi. Like I have said before, my tv is suppose to be HDCP compliant. It is on my Dish receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)