Fried Flat Cable

ZandarKoad

Amish Satellite Technician
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 13, 2005
Nashville, TN
I thought you guys might get a kick out of this. It was on a SD Dishnetwork install. I got a trouble call on my job, and found this. The customer said that he lost signal one day, then noticed it sparking constantly. It had discolored the door frame SLIGHTLY, and burned itself completely through. My supervisor told me these cables were only rated to 1.0 GHz, while the supplier who sold them said they were 2.25 GHz. Any opionions? Or anyone know of any 3.0 GHz flat cables for sale? :confused:

Umm yeah I don't think I'd ever use those flat cables.

What's the hamr with just making a wall puncture right there next to the door

Those look just like the ones I was using when I first setup my coolsat.

I don't think the Ghz rating had anything to do with it. They need to drill a hole or put a screw in the window so they stop opening and closing that window :).

My guess is one too many window closing shorted the cable :shocked

When I had mine it it was pretty obvious to me that those things are not made to go in an active window.

Looking at the pics better, that looks like an arcadia door...

You should always try to put flat cables on the fixed door of the sliding door assembly. That is, put the cables through the window that is always stationary and not the other window that opens and closes. Otherwise, you're bound to get shorted and frayed flat cables. They're not for entry doors. They're more for bedroom or permanent windows.

Right. I'd love to install flat cables through stationary doors that don't open... but they don't open. True, they weren't made for opening/closing repeatedly. I would have loved to go through a window, but the tenant/landlord said it was a no-go. Same with the hole right next to the door.

Hopefully the customer will get sick of having their cables on fire, and put enough pressure on the landlord to allow a window entry or a single hole. :rolleyes:

Those things should be outlawed, Ive seen that same problem happen and dish does not support theyr use and has pulled them out of service about 2 years ago. I opened one up and the center conductor inside makes the one in rg59 look like a pencil.

I dont install it then, its not worth it to me to put one of those things in and have to come back and replace it or replace equipment thats been shorted out.

What if you ran the flat cables along the vertical part of the door? That way the sliding part wouldnt be rolling over it, just smooshing it when the door was closed. I figured that be less wear than having it on the bottom of the door...

If your referring to the part where the two door halfs come together to seal then its still a gamble, and those things are repeat trouble call makers for lost signal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)