Friend TRICKED Directtv into getting HD Locals!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

insomniahead

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
Put his billing address of his rent house on the form. In my town Directtv doesn't offer any locals. He put his billing zip of a town 45 mnins away that does offer locals. Now his box at home gets the locals! How is this possible? Will this really work! WOW!

Yeah, it works but if they find out he will immediately lose them AND possibly lose his service with D* all together! Not worth the risk! Just buy and antenna until they become available in your area!

Put his billing address of his rent house on the form. In my town Directtv doesn't offer any locals. He put his billing zip of a town 45 mnins away that does offer locals. Now his box at home gets the locals! How is this possible? Will this really work! WOW!

Yep, nothing new here.

Spot beams that over lap from one DMA into another; AND he illegally falsified documents to say the service is located somewhere it really isn't. As stated above, if they are only 45 mins away, just install the dang OTA. You will want it anyway.

Why should directv care as long as they are getting paid? I did it. I live 75 miles from Boston and want NESN and locals in HD. If Directv catches me and wants to cancel then I'll go back to Comcast. i really dont feel like putting an antennae from the 1960's on my rooftop

Why should directv care as long as they are getting paid? I did it. I live 75 miles from Boston and want NESN and locals in HD. If Directv catches me and wants to cancel then I'll go back to Comcast. i really dont feel like putting an antennae from the 1960's on my rooftop

You might be able to put it in the attic like I did. I live 80 miles from my local stations towers. I get all but one station OTA. D* recently turned on my locals HD but I still enjoy OTA. Sub channels are nice especially 24hr live weather radar. It's storming right now and rain fade occurs during heavy storms. I still can watch some TV. You might also need a signal booster in the attic install. Just a suggestion. I agree with you about the 1960 comment. If I couldnt get it in the attic I would not have any OTA. I refuse to roof or pole mount a huge eye sore. The dish is bad enough to look at.

They care because the FCC (aka the GOVT) has laws set governing (telling) them what they can & can't do; thank your local affiliates , the cable industry and the good old NAB for this MESS!

And too many violations of the laws will get stuff taken away. Ask the Dish folks. It also will create some deaf ears if DirecTV ever needs to get approval for changes down the road.

You might be able to put it in the attic like I did. I live 80 miles from my local stations towers. I get all but one station OTA. D* recently turned on my locals HD but I still enjoy OTA. Sub channels are nice especially 24hr live weather radar. It's storming right now and rain fade occurs during heavy storms. I still can watch some TV. You might also need a signal booster in the attic install. Just a suggestion. I agree with you about the 1960 comment. If I couldnt get it in the attic I would not have any OTA. I refuse to roof or pole mount a huge eye sore. The dish is bad enough to look at.
Which antenna are you using?

I got it at Radio shack. It is the next to largest they sell. It's less than 80 inches. I think it's a 20 element UHF/VHF outdoor antenna. I paid about $55 I think. The booster cost just as much.

So NAB and WWLP Channel 22 of Springfield MA will do what to me for watching NESN in HD?

nevermind. You don't get it. Just because we don't like rules doesn't mean they don't exist and companies don't have to follow them. Look at what happened to Dish and the distant networks they had. Directv would LOVE to sell you every channel they can.

As for "moving" yeah, lots of people do it and some get caught and usually just get a warning and the "illegal" channels turned off.

Guys how does this work? I mean don't you schedule an installer? Won't he know that he isn't in the correct town that you listed? Can you do self installs with Dish if you have never had them?

My closest local station is 45 miles my farthest is 85 miles so they gave me the 3 channels that were over 60 miles, I think that is the distance they use for determining if you are allowed to get the locals.

Guys how does this work? I mean don't you schedule an installer? Won't he know that he isn't in the correct town that you listed? Can you do self installs with Dish if you have never had them?

You can do self-installs with either provider, as long as you can get the equipment somehow, OR you can "move" your address AFTER the installer comes out to your "real" address to install.

If you want the details on how moving works, do a search on here & you'll find plenty of info & opinions on doing this. Some people here treat it as if you murdered someone, while others (like me :D ) treat it like jaywalking & enjoy our "booty" & think nothing of it. You (& your friend) have to decide for yourself if you want to do it or not - maybe your friend figured it out from this very board... ;) :D

My closest local station is 45 miles my farthest is 85 miles so they gave me the 3 channels that were over 60 miles, I think that is the distance they use for determining if you are allowed to get the locals.

Is is all zip code based and pre-determined by your claimed market area. DBS only enforces what they are told. We have a few users that I know are just yards out of one zip that is "allowed" and actually closer than those users in the allowed zip code.

You can do self-installs with either provider, as long as you can get the equipment somehow, OR you can "move" your address AFTER the installer comes out to your "real" address to install.

If you want the details on how moving works, do a search on here & you'll find plenty of info & opinions on doing this. Some people here treat it as if you murdered someone, while others (like me :D ) treat it like jaywalking & enjoy our "booty" & think nothing of it. You (& your friend) have to decide for yourself if you want to do it or not - maybe your friend figured it out from this very board... ;) :D

I am defintenly going to do it, I am 75 miles away from any locals and I have to watch my sooners! I just need a good plan of attack. Can I roll into bestbuy and get the equipment? Or off Ebay. I don't really want to by a 300 hundered dollard dish on Ebay, is there any other way of doing this? Thanks Jake

Can I roll into bestbuy and get the equipment? Or off Ebay.

You can get any of the receivers at BB, but they no longer sell the dishes, as the installer normally brings them out. But yes, E-bay is a good source for dishes - just make sure you research & get the right dish for your area. (or whatever your friend got ;) )

If you are planning on doing HD, do understand the new HD dish is NOT exactly the simplest one to install & requires more skill than the other D* dishes. Again, make sure you know what you're getting yourself into. ;)

The whole argument seems kind of silly to me: why would ANY TV station not want every person with eyes , ears, and money to spend on their sponsors, to NOT watch their station, whether it be via OTA or SAT? In the early days, when test cards were common, it was neat to be able to watch the west coast network programs in case you missed them earlier. I think ALL channels should be opened up to everyone who can receive them. Just can't see whom that would hurt.

The whole argument seems kind of silly to me: why would ANY TV station not want every person with eyes , ears, and money to spend on their sponsors, to NOT watch their station, whether it be via OTA or SAT? In the early days, when test cards were common, it was neat to be able to watch the west coast network programs in case you missed them earlier. I think ALL channels should be opened up to everyone who can receive them. Just can't see whom that would hurt.

The NAB seemed to believe that the local stations were losing advertising money due to DNS feeds. Who's going to wait to watch a show in your own market if you can receive the NY feeds and watch it from 2-3 hours earlier? Their argument to the FCC was based upon the $$$, albeit not our money, but the money of those that they represent (broadcast stations).

I personally don't have a problem with it. Some rules are just messed up. I would have it installed professionally, wait two weeks and "move" just takes a phone call. Heck, what could they possibly do send you to E*? Wait a second, that really would suck!:D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts