From an H10 to an HR21 I have Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mrt2o

Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
From an R10 to an HR21 I have Questions

I have a Tivo/DirecTV R10??? and I have been in love with it since the first day. I recently upgraded to HD and purchased an HR21 and what a huge disapointment the reciever is. There is no way to change my mind, I have read the entire manual and the features are not there. I asked the upgrade guy about getting an older Tivo/DirectV HD/DVR and he told me that the Tivo/DirectV HD/DVR (HR10???) would not recieve all the HD channels and that I was stuck with this piece of ____. Is this true...? Or can I simply go and buy a Tivo/DirectV HD/DVR on ebay and start living the high life again? Please Help!

Last edited:
I have a Tivo/DirecTV R10??? and I have been in love with it since the first day. I recently upgraded to HD and purchased an HR21 and what a huge disapointment the reciever is. There is no way to change my mind, I have read the entire manual and the features are not there. I asked the upgrade guy about getting an older Tivo/DirectV HD/DVR and he told me that the Tivo/DirectV HD/DVR (HR10???) would not recieve all the HD channels and that I was stuck with this piece of ____. Is this true...? Or can I simply go and buy a Tivo/DirectV HD/DVR on ebay and start living the high life again? Please Help!

All the new MPEG 4 HD channels REQUIRE D*'s new Hr20/21/H-20 receivers.

Your beloved TIVO will only be good for SD soon. But yes, you CAN buy one on Ebay to use, but it will only be good for SD.(and HD OTA)

Lack of a TIVO (or a DVR that came anywhere NEAR a TIVO's functionallty), is what drove me from D*.
Don't bother complaing to D* either, its plain to anyone who is paying attention that they do not give a DAMN about what subscribers want, just their bottom line. :confused:

Sad for a company that a lot of us used to hold in very high esteem has fallen so far so quickly. :( They have thrown good equipment to the curb to concentrate on content, which they have done, I must admit, but a decent box to display that content is not available, IMO. A lot of folks LIKE the HR20/21 for sure, but it isn't the solution for all of us.

Oh, and if you decide to cancel it will be VERY painful to your wallet, they made sure of that to try and keep you. But if you decide to leave MAKE SURE you tell them that is D*'s abandonment of TIVO that is causing you to leave.:up

Well seeing you are dead set that you will not like this unit even if you came here for advice, why did you post ?

To answer you question, YES you can get a old TIVO off of ebay and hook it up.... you will only get about 10 HD channels instead of the 80-100 that D* currently has.
TIVO is not available for D* in the current mpeg4 level receivers, if you are dead set on TIVO, there are plenty of peopel here that have had TIVO and some still do and are migrating over to the new units, many like the new stuff better once they get use to it.

Those here would be happy to help you get aquianted with the new mpeg2/4 HR21 rec. but you don't want it ....
How can we help you....
Now, what kind of problems are you having and what can we help you with.

Jimbo

Directv has purchased "Replay" so with the patents they aquired and the engineering we may see more functionality in future DVRs. No they won't be TiVos and they won't infringe on TiVo's patents.
Why don't you post your dissappointments with the HR21 and you may get some suggestions or work arounds because there really isn't any alternative except leaving D*.

I had to delete my last post... I took the reply personal and I am sorry for that. I do not want to raise anybody's ire, its just that I expected the HR21 to be better than an R10. I do not need help using the HR21, I need help with compatability and I got it. Thank you all for your reply.

Last edited:
(correction)
Yes, my old unit it is a standard def Tivo D* DVR. R10 not H10 sorry about that.

(judgment)
After my first week with the HR21 I can say for certain it is no match for the TIVO. I don't understand why D* would drop Tivo. It is very plain to see that the Tivo unit was superior 5 years ago, as far as fuctionality, to what D* has to offer now. Just pay the man and get it over with.

(politic)
I did call D* to complain about the lost features and at first got what sounded like someone oversea's. I said that I would to talk with someone who knew the meaning of "Pause on one tuner and jump to the other tuner." I got to speak to a very nice lady with a southern accent. She did inform me that Tivo has the rights to the swapping tuner deal. That D* had "come along way" and would continue to make progress with fuctionality. This is all good.

(RANT!)
I may be repeating what has been said a thousand times but, years ago D* had so many tuners to choose from that if you could not find something you liked, well... shame on you. I felt sorry for the Dish people because there stuff was stinky compared to my Sony D* unit. I had functionality they couldn't even dream of. I would say to them like "man, you really need to switch to D*, I mean that guide is terrible."
Then little by little the choices went away and so did my reason for staying. By this time they were about the same as Dish. Then along comes a tuner that I can live with again and its the Tivo DVR. Now fast forward 5 years, I "Upgrade" to HD, using the term upgrade real loose like, to find out they jumped back in the gutter. Whats worse is that the Dish people at work are bragging to me about their Dish HD DVR's. The shame of it all!

(pondering)
Does anybody know what they are thinking?

(fini)
Ok, I am done.

What are they thinking? PROFIT if they don't have to pay for a license to use the technology your costs are lower.

Dual live buffers probably is a patented TiVo technology.

When D* went to inhouse designs instead of Sony/Phillips/Uniden/Hughes ETC all making different models with different operating systems it simplified servicing and CSRs could easily direct customers over the phone. It no longer make any difference if the customer has a D10 or a H20 the CSR can tell the customer to push menu then select settings, then select setup,etc. The CSR dosen't have to determine that the customer has a RCA 4530 receiver then have to search for the correct menu system for that brand and model before they can even start guiding the customer to a solution. You may not like changes but they usually do make things better.

I have 3 TiVos and one R15 I am not crazy about the R15 compared to the TiVo it has some benefits and some draw backs but it still works most of the time to DVR programming.

You may not like changes but they usually do make things better.

That's my main problem. Its NOT better. Just CHEAPER. And not cheaper for US, cheaper for THEM. Every D* receiver I got from 1996 to 2006 got BETTER as they went along. Faster, more features, cheaper to acquire. I expected a logical improvement from the HD Tivo to the HR20, just as before. Silly me.

They fixed something that wasn't broken. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts