From D to E, 4 months in.

coinmaster32

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
USA
Here are my thoughts after being with Dish for about 4 months. I was a Directv subscriber for over 2 years.

1. I like the fact that Dish has live chat. Directv used to have it, but got rid of it shortly after I was a sub. It usually only takes a a few seconds for an agent to appear.

2. While the hopper does have 3 tuners, and the Directv equivalent has 5, I like being able to record one extra channel vs the 2 I had with my old HD DVR.

3. While the Directv remote is easier to use, the Dish remote has a few more buttons, allowing me to do a few more things. The Directv remote is white and shows dirt and food easier.

4. I found no difference in how fast a tech can come out. Both D and E were installed by contractors, so I cannot comment there.

5. I was always loosing locals during a heavy rain with Directv. This is due to D using the Ka band for locals. With dish, I do not have that issue.

6. The hopper has a much larger footprint that the D HD DVR did. The hopper also runs much hotter.

7. Dish has free games built into the receiver, with Directv you had to pay. (Unless it has changed since dropping D).

8. I miss the "mix channels" that Directv had.

9. Dish has a 2TB hard drive. Directv only has a 1.

10. Dish has PTAT with auto hop, Directv does not have this feature.

11. I miss the cool blue led touch screen panel Directv had on their latest receivers.

12. I like the guide on dish better.

That's all I can think of for now. I miss some things with D, but like things with E as well.

KA will go out quicker than KU, it's the nature of the beast.

I personally think they're both good services, I also think both are way over priced.

Are you jumping ship?

KA will go out quicker than KU, it's the nature of the beast.

I personally think they're both good services, I also think both are way over priced.

Are you jumping ship?

No. While I miss a few things Directv had, there is just a couple more things I like with Dish, so I do like them more.

Both overpriced? I think Dish is the only provider with the clear cost advantage, while all the other competitors are par for the course. Overpriced is only in comparison to Dish. I know of some people who think that paying for TV is for fools and all pay TV is "overpriced."

Both overpriced? I think Dish is the only provider with the clear cost advantage, while all the other competitors are par for the course. Overpriced is only in comparison to Dish. I know of some people who think that paying for TV is for fools and all pay TV is "overpriced."

With the recent Dish increases and the announced Direct increases, the difference in cost between the two drops to almost zilch, especially at the high end.

Example of my setup:
Dish :
AEP = 119.99
Sports Pack = 9.00
BB@Home=10.00
DVR = 10.00
Lease = 7.00

Total : $155.99

Direct to match:
Premier = 124.99
HD Extra = 6.00
Adv Receiver= 23.00
Lease = 6.00

Total = $159.99

Edit: So yeah, Dish has an advantage, but it is so small I wouldn't think many would consider it a big deal.

Note the above prices are accurate after both of the increases I think, feel free to correct me! :) And those prices are retail and don't reflect any discounts that an individual may get along the line.

With the recent Dish increases and the announced Direct increases, the difference in cost between the two drops to almost zilch, especially at the high end.

Example of my setup:
Dish :
AEP = 119.99
Sports Pack = 9.00
BB@Home=10.00
DVR = 10.00
Lease = 7.00

Direct to match:
Premier = 124.99
HD Extra = 6.00
Adv Receiver= 23.00
Lease = 6.00

Total = $159.99

Edit: So yeah, Dish has an advantage, but it is so small I wouldn't think many would consider it a big deal.

Note the above prices are accurate after both of the increases I think, feel free to correct me! :) And those prices are retail and don't reflect any discounts that an individual may get along the line.

You are missing the Sports Pack on Directv, which will be $12 more.

...Example of my setup:
Dish :
AEP = 119.99
Sports Pack = 9.00
BB@Home=10.00
DVR = 10.00
Lease = 7.00

...Note the above prices are accurate after both of the increases I think, feel free to correct me! :) And those prices are retail and don't reflect any discounts that an individual may get along the line.

They may be retail but the $119 AEP for current subscribers has a $10 credit for the next 18 months.

and direct gievs a credit for hd, 24 months or life
so the $23 should be less

So far, 'life' with D* has been for the life of the contract, IOW 24 months. Yes, you can call and maybe get it a bit longer or they might use a different way to get that $10 off, but not all get that so it isn't valid in doing a comparison.

Look guys, we can all come up with various discounts and such that come along, but in most cases they do not apply to everyone and maybe not even to a majority. They are the gravy we get if we happen to fall into some grouping they made, or we called and negotiated. But none of them are permanent, nor can they be counted on. Hence the use of retail pricing when comparing becomes the only really valid way to look at it imo.

also the HD extra pack on D* (if you dont feel like doing the 3 month trick to get it for free) is $5 not $6
But I've been getting that pack for free for 25 months now ;)

That was the one price I wasn't sure of as I always got it free too.

But again, you can't count free because not everyone gets that or knows how. I suspect that anyone that doesn't come here or one of the other discussion boards doesn't even know they can get it free.

In general, Dish Network is at least a little cheaper than Directv when it comes to programming costs. Dish beats Directv by a long shot when it comes to the total availability of cheaper or "value" packages. Directv becomes more competitive with equipment costs after the first receiver. Both have very good equipment. The overall value of which one subscribes to differs from person to person depending on their needs. Dish is by far way cheaper for me than Directv, based on the channels I get. For a sports fan in NY, Dish can't hold a pointy stick towards Directv.

In both cases, Dish and Directv typically blow cable and Fiber Optic out of the water price wise.

also the HD extra pack on D* (if you dont feel like doing the 3 month trick to get it for free) is $5 not $6
But I've been getting that pack for free for 25 months now ;)
This discount has been around for a while and is fairly well known. Do you think that this is just a website glitch, or is it being done on purpose just to give people in the know an extra reason to stay and not switch providers? I can't believe that nobody at DirecTV corporate doesn't know about this by now.

In general, Dish Network is at least a little cheaper than Directv when it comes to programming costs.

unless I'm looking at something else the pricing is pretty much the same now
Dish has AT120 for 49.99--Directv's Entertainment is 54.99 and has more channels in it
Dish has AT200 for 64.99--Directv Choice is same price 64.99
Dish has AT250 for 74.99--Directv has Choice Xtra for 70.99 and Ultimate for 77.99 depending on what "extras" you want with Ultimate (has 6 channels + Encore not in Choice)

What I see on the dish site that (IMO) is a ripoff is AT120+ for 59.99? ($10 more for a RSN?) Why not pay $5 more and get AT200 as you get your RSN in AT200?

I've been with Dish about the same amount of time. I left Direct too. I love my Hoppers!. My wife is in love with PTAT and the storage space. One thing I love is the fact that when you hit the DVR button your the tiles will let you know if its a new show or not. Plus it will only record the new ones!!!!

My old Direct DVR would record repeats all the time. I always had it set to new only. That did not matter. The fact that when you add a EHD it adds to the storage space and does not just take it's place. The Sling adapter is wonderful!! It sure beats the hell out of DirecTV everywhere. Yes I know you can get a sling box for Direct. With Dish its either built in the new Hopper or its $50 for an adapter. You don't have to pay over $100 for a Sling Box and then $30 for the Android app to watch it.

I am very happy with Dish. Having DIRT here is always a huge plus. Direct should look into something like that.

I guess the one thing I don't like is the AEP increase by $15 and they didn't add anything to it. They should at least added the sports pack or Blockbuster pack. Hell I would take more HD for the premiums. Especially the Showtimes like Beyond and Extreme. I know prices go up but $15 and nothing new added??? Premier with Direct is $5 more has their sports pack added and it has more HD premiums. Come on Dish....you can do better.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)