From Dish: Future 811 software updates

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
It has been happening on certain channels (18-1, 23-1, 30-1) from the start. If I wait long enough, an average of 2 to 3 minutes the channel usually comes in with a signal well over 90 percent. It will stay there until I change channels, so it prevents me from doing much channel surfing. If I try to return to that channel I have to go through the same thing again.

mikew said:
WeeJava...do you know if the improvements on the MPEG Decode will fix the occasional jerk in the picture? It is especially noticeable when reading scrolls on the bottom of the screen and during sporting events.

That jerk is also in the originator software. Yes, maybe Dish jerks sometimes, but as a broadcaster, we see those "tickers" jerk, sometimes , every day we use them locally or have them on some feed we use. And that includes CNN and FOX along with 2 of the major networks.

Mark, not sure what your bitching about, but go whine in your own hole. I gave credit where credit was due above the message and thats all I am required to do.

I do thank you for the info, it is very interesting especially if Open QAM is put in, as I mentioned at DBSTalk I have a TV with a QAM tuner and I can see all the unscrabled Digital Cable Channels, High Definition Channels and many peoples video on demand orders, I think it would be cooll to have a 811 and the ability to watch QAM cable channels as well.

Reply to: lsh1885

You have a multi-path problem. Yes, there are other ATSC receivers that might do a better job with your signal, but there isn't anything Dish can/will do that will help you. What you need to do is try some adjustments on your OTA antenna. Higher, lower, left, right, or move the location of the whole thing. Also, some OTA antennas are better than others at dealing with multi-path issues. Consider an antenna with a narrower beamwidth and higher front-to-back ratio.

Reply to: WeeJavaDude
The release notes "also ran" mention of BSOD doesn't give me any confidence that a BSOD fix will get much attention in the next software rev. It look to me like this is mainly a features upgrade rev, which probably means more bugs.

Carl B said:
Reply to: WeeJavaDude
The release notes "also ran" mention of BSOD doesn't give me any confidence that a BSOD fix will get much attention in the next software rev. It look to me like this is mainly a features upgrade rev, which probably means more bugs.

"Also Ran" == Huh?

My understanding is the next release of 811 software will be on the big side. I believe Jason mentioned this a while back and also mentioned that 2.84 includes the big BSOD fix with fixes for the remaining issues in 2.85 and 2.86. This is what is planned and is always subject to change.

As for more bugs, well whenever you introduce new features there is always the risk of new bugs. The question that usually gets asked right before a release is, Are there any showstoppers and if not is this release better than what the customers have.

If you are nervous about 2.85, turn off automatic updates and await reports from the field. My 811 is purring along with 2.84, but I will keep automatic updates enabled for obvious reasons.

From Dish - Upcoming 811 P285 Release Notes
------------------------------------------------------------------------
The folloing comes passed along from Jason at DBSTalk.COM

Quote:
Software release P285 is scheduled to hit the birds in partial release (Phase 1) February 15th.

This release will include:

* Addition of QAM (Multiplexed) capability for the ATSC tuner. This would support installations in Multi Dwelling Units (MDU) applications such as apartments and hotels where they use DISH Network service converted to QAM. At this time the QAM format released will not support "Open" architecture which is the type used single family residential systems.
* Expanded capacity favorites list
* A new search feature for the EPG similar to that on a PVR. (This feature works in RAM and not a Hard Disk cache so it will be slower than it's NBS PVR cousin.)
* SPDIF Header improvements for Dolby Digital 5.1. (Compatibility improvements which changes the way a validity bit is set. This improves performance and solves some of the compatibility issues. One more patch is expected for DD5.1 in P286)
* Enhancement for boot recovery
* Extension of guide to 3 day
* Enhancement for MPEG restarts (BSOD, Inverted BSOD corrections)

Also ran, as in parenthesis at the end of the last bullet. Based on this, which is all I have to go by, I don't see BSOD fixes as a major focus of this revision.

Carl B said:
Also ran, as in parenthesis at the end of the last bullet. Based on this, which is all I have to go by, I don't see BSOD fixes as a major focus of this revision.

Well you can read it as that. My understanding is that BSOD issues has three scenarios. First one was fixed, this one was the cause for most of the pain customers were feeling. The second is included in 2.85 and third is planned for 2.86.

The assumption that the list is in some priority or level of work required should not be made. I would agree that BSOD fix is not a major focus of this release it is just an evolutionary step in addressing this issue and is included in this build.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts