Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Got this from one of my contacts at Dish.

New and Existing customers choosing to upgrade to ViP series receivers (411, ViP211 and ViP622 DVR) must either choose to subscribe to a DishHD programming package with packages starting at $49.99 or pay a $6 HD Enabling Fee. Beginning on March 16th, customers who do not subscribe to a DishHD programming package will no longer have the option to disable the HD functionality on their ViP series equipment and pay no additional fees.

Makes you wonder if there is not going to be a cheap satellite only MPEG-4 DVR and a cheap MPEG-4 2 tuner box coming out soon.

Dish could save some $$ on the box if it did not have an OTA HD tuner. Maybe they are about to follow DIRECTV's lead on this.

They wouldn't save a whole lot of money at this point. Manufacturing the same systemboard without the OTA tuner might save them $25-$40. Maybe a bit more as they would not need the antenna input.

There is some logic to doing this, as so many HDTVs have or will have integrated OTA HD tuners. And with E* offering HD LiLs, they could still record locals.

But many of us really like the ability to record OTA channels, so I hope they continue to offer this option for a long time.

These guys are way too greedy! Why did they even put in code to disable the tuners then??

I take it that becuase it is a DishHD pack, the stand alone HD pack isnt' qualified.

They are blasted hypocrites! They call it the HD enabling fee, and they waive it if you subscribe to SD and HD programming! It is a double fee, they charge it twice! They charge you an "access fee" if you don't subscribe to "qualified programming", and they charge you "access fee 2" if you don't subscribe to HD and SD! Hypocrites! They can't even get the fee's name correct because they are afraid it would expose them for what it is, a double fee for the same stuff.

Even with the fee, there will be some for whom the option of using a 211 to get AT60 or AT120 or whatever and picking up all of their HD locals via OTA for $6/month will be a good solution.

The worse "double charge" is that they only charge $20 for HD in a metallic pack, but charge $30 for the HD standalone. Then they hit you for the $6 enabling fee on top of it. So they are adding $16/month to the cost of the HD pack if you don't sub to AT60.

Tom Bombadil said:
The worse "double charge" is that they only charge $20 for HD in a metallic pack, but charge $30 for the HD standalone. Then they hit you for the $6 enabling fee on top of it. So they are adding $16/month to the cost of the HD pack if you don't sub to AT60.

It is worse than that. They charge you $20 for the HD Pack if you subscribe to a precious metal. They charge you $30 for Stand Alone HD. Then they charge you $6 for the enabling fee for stand alone, then they charge you $6 for the access fee.

The difference is $24 in fees and padding!

They want all their customers to sub to the highest programming pack : Plat hd. With this pack their are no dvr fees , hd enabeling fees etc. Which makes me wonder how much Charlie really wants ala carte. My guess is that their will be a new fee to go along with all the other existing fees; the new "Ala carte" fee . God only knows what it will be but with all these fees I'm sure that the savings will be little to none for Dish ala carte.

So basically you either pay for the $49.99 package or you pay the $6 HD Enabling fee whether or not you want HD on that receiver or not.

I wonder if this is how it is going to be in the future when everybody gets switched from the MPEG-2 receiver to the MPEG-4 receiver. Maybe they will call it a lease fee that they will charge you on the first box and that it is waived if you purchase the HD package.

Good question Stargazer. I thought the whole point was to move everyone to these new MPEG4 receivers.

juan said:
I thought the vip211 was also supposed to be installed in place of the 311?? I guess not any more
Nope..digital recievers are still the norm..The 211 is just the base model HD reciever...In effect it is the replacement for the 811...
Just to give you an idea of how things are going with HD.. I ahaven't installed an HD recievrr in three weeks..I think subs are a bit taken aback at the price of the packages..My parents were going to get a 622..Forget it...The base is 50 bucks a month for the HD bronze plus the HD fee, the DVR fee and the lease fee and that doesn't give all the channels that they want..It's just too much $$..They're looking at $60 bucks plus per month..It's just not worth it....In 2009 when all analog sigs come down, the pay tv world is going ot go thru an upheaval.....I think there may be a coorection in the number of satellite and cable subs..
Those on low or fixed budgets that may be sat subs now will not be able to afford the much higher prices for HD..Those people may be shut out of the market entirely..
JMHO

Stargazer, I agree. For almost everyone with a 211/622, it will come down to paying for a metallic pack or just going with the simple $6 fee to get OTA.

And if one has multiple 211s/622s then you are pushed to go all the way up to the platinum tier. For example if one had three 622s with HD Bronze and say the HBO/Starz value pack, the jump to Platinum isn't very far.

Why do you need a VIP 622 or 211 if you are not going to get HD? Since their is a limited supply of 622s, E* wants to discourage people from getting these receivers unless you need one for HD. If all you want to do is get local channels ota just get a HDTV with a built in tuner or buy a standalone ota STB.

No matter what Charlie says he does NOT want Ala Carte. His revenues would drop and his costs for channels would rise.

Hell if Ala Carte was put into place I dont think I could pick 25 channels I wanted to keep.

Chris Freeland said:
Why do you need a VIP 622 or 211 if you are not going to get HD? Since their is a limited supply of 622s, E* wants to discourage people from getting these receivers unless you need one for HD. If all you want to do is get local channels ota just get a HDTV with a built in tuner or buy a standalone ota STB.

Even after they have enough of a suply do you think they are going to drop this enabling fee?

I think not.

wow that's harsh. So now folks can no longer disable the functionality eh... either pay the fee or get Dish HD.
One thing some users have been asking is if the Stand alone HD pack waives the fee, and I've been telling them I assume it does...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts