Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
It appears that the 942 rollout is just around the corner and new details are coming out about the 942 including some exact specs, and new features!

One of the most exciting new features that is mentioned in the information below is the addition of "Active Antenna Support" which according to the quick tips sheet below allows the 942 to work with future Echostar approved active antennas, which can electronicly steer an antenna without actually phisically move the antenna.

The 942 will be available in the DHA package for a $250 Upgrade fee
The HD Pak is required
Customer may have only one 942 receiver per account but may have two multi-tuner receivers (322/942, 522/942)
The 942 receivers will be shipped to the customers at the beginning of the promotion following the same procedures for the 921 receiver

The 942 will also be available on the "Free For All" plan.

New Customers that sign up for "Free For All" can get a 942 for $749 (MSRP).

Customers who purchase a 1 receiver system will receive $5/mo. credit for 30 months ($150).
Customers who purchase a one receiver system and stand alone will receive $5/mo. credit for 40 months ($200).

Below are some Quick Tips Sheets which tell you more about the 942, like whats features it will have, whats new, whats included and more!

Enjoy!

Attachments

• quicktips1.jpg
    quicktips1.jpg
    386.9 KB · Views: 2,650
  • quicktips2.jpg
    quicktips2.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 2,376
  • quicktips3.jpg
    quicktips3.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 1,633
  • quicktips4.jpg
    quicktips4.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 1,363
USB 2.0 can be used with the new portable Dish Pod portable DVR's. They demoed this on a 942 at CES. You can download shows from your 942 to the Dish Pod units for viewing on the road.

Actually cool technology. :D

So you pay $250 then have to lease this. No way! How much a month? Then what happens when they switch to MPEG 4? Has Dish awnsered this yet?

That is pretty cool. So, if I am an existing customer and want the 942, I have to pay $749 as I understand it. Then, how much is the Dish pod portable dvr? The kids would love this. We do a lot of traveling in the summer and being able to record a bunch of cartoons and movies would be cool.

Any idea if the HDMI/DVI AND components can be active at the same time, therefore sending the same HD signal to 2 different sets? I don't see any S-Video...

Sergio

Scott,

I'm fairly sure that the answer to this question is no, but it's still worth asking.

25 Hours of HDTV record time isn't really that much to store on a DVR. What are the odds that external storage could be attached to the 942 via USB2.0 for increased capacity? I wouldn't even care if the data was encrypted and not transferrable, but 25 Hours is fairly limited. Even if you were to edit down a years worth of episodes of an HDTV show (about 24) you'd only have about 7 hours left for other shows.

Cheers,

The only way to offload shows is to a portable DVR. No word on any other way to backup recorded shows.

Scott,

Will the portable DVR be reasonably priced, have reasonable capacity and capable of archiving HD shows? That would be great if it's the case.

Cheers,

I expect the portable DVR to be around $300.

The units shown at CES were just prototype units made by ARCHOS. No word on final capacity. And also I believe you can not transfer reocrdings back to the 942 after it has been downloaded to the portable DVR.

Does this thing have a HDMI output or DVI output? My HDTV has an HDMI input.

The article said, "Compatible with HDMI-equipped televisions."

I remember seeing a photo of one of the 942s (a beta version perhaps) on this forum. I don't remember seeing a HDMI output...only DVI.

As far as paying $250 upfront for it...I would probably jump on this. My wife said "NO" to paying $550 or so for the 921...so I am stuck with the 522 SD DVR right now. I might wait though until August since I mainly want the HDTV for football.

My brother in-law has the 822 HD receiver on a 60" Pioneer plasma. He has that Zenith indoor antenna and is getting a 93% reception on his locals. We watched the playoff games yesterday. I was blown away with the picture quality. My 34" Toshiba HD really needs the HD receiver.

Scott Greczkowski said:
It has HDMI (No DVI) a HDMI to DVI adapter cable is included as well.

That is good news for me. I now get to use my HDMI spot on the TV. I'm using S-Video right now on my SD DVR. Picture quality on SD with S-Video for me is pretty decent. HDMI should make it even cleaner.

Three words, No F***ing way! There is no way I'm dropping another cent on E* equipment until they demonstrate a clear and comprehensive commitment to HD and back it up with real world actions. For now I'm free of commitments and evaluating my provider options on a month to month basis.

NightRyder

So in English what it exactly mean for an existing customer who subscrime to Everything Package + HD Package? Do I still nedd to buy the receiver? Or can I leas it and send back my 6000, which I have purchased about a year and a half ago. Scott please shade some lights...

So in English what it exactly mean for an existing customer who subscribe to Everything Package + HD Package? Do I still need to buy the receiver? Or can I lease it and send back my 6000, which I have purchased about a year and a half ago. Scott please shade some lights...

This is not good news!?!?!?!

$249 for the right to lease an HD DVR?!?!?!

Whoever does this is completly insane. This box is old tech right from the start. Plus if it works the way the 921 does :no

How does this compete with cable that offer two tuner HD DVR's for 9.95 per month no upfront fees?

Plus E*'s lack of effort on the HD channels provided make this another miserable "effort" from this co.

First off they should give the 942 to all 921 owners as a replacment for the misery we have all had to put up with. Then if they really wanted to compete with cable they would offer the box for 9.95 per month just like them.

Did you notice that the remotes can be configured to operate another E* receiver via UHF in AUX mode? This was one of my complaints about a year ago. They saw the light on one item, 259 to go :)

NightRyder said:
Three words, No F***ing way! There is no way I'm dropping another cent on E* equipment until they demonstrate a clear and comprehensive commitment to HD and back it up with real world actions. For now I'm free of commitments and evaluating my provider options on a month to month basis.

NightRyder

Huge Ditto !

You can record from all three tuners, 1 OTA and 2 SAT, simultaneously. That's nice. It will record three programs at once.

You an also view two recorded programs while recording three different programs.

PIP works for any combination of HD/SD in the windows.

Name based recording.

These all differentiate the 942 from the 921. Leasing it for a $250 price may be cheaper than owning a 921 for $550. It would take 5 years to make the 942 more expensive than the 921.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)