From Dish to Direct?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
The unfortunate thing about online forums is how people can't understand that their list is not everyone else's list of what is important to *them*, or what they find frustrating. You don't have to "get" why it bothers me.. and I don't have to "get" why it doesn't bother you. I'm ok that it doesn't bother you.. for forums to work and be productive you have to do the same in return.

And yes, I probably will be going back to Dish (2 year contract is up in ~6 months).. so everyone can feel secure that someone won't be disparaging the never-less-than-perfect DTV :) Anytime I've made a post on the DTV-side of SatGuys which makes any slightly negative comment about DTV, I can almost set a clock by knowing there will be a can't-be-true reply from Jimbo to quickly follow. I at least have had both services and can make my comments based on 1st hand experience. I try to limit those comments to Dish subs who post here asking about switching (I've got better things to do than rant to DTV subs about the service they are already happy with). I think it's important a potential switcher from Dish have the viewpoint of someone else who has done the same. If the things I mention are of low importance to them (as they appear to be to Chip), then by all means they should switch and feel they they'll be happy, and I'm perfectly happy for them. I'm not here to bash DTV, I'm not here to plug Dish. I'm here to add a viewpoint for forum members deciding to switch to DTV. I'm not sure why so many DTV member here get so easily rankled when someone suggests DTV isn't perfect at everything. Fact is that most services are imperfect (gasp, even Dish), we should be able to discuss that honestly.

Are you saying then that it's important to have three or more hours available on the guide? Like I said, it would be nice to have more information available at once, but I care more about 1) the programming, and 2) picture quality.

Are you saying then that it's important to have three or more hours available on the guide? Like I said, it would be nice to have more information available at once, but I care more about 1) the programming, and 2) picture quality.

To *ME* more guide info is important.. and obviously more important to me than others (but I'm not the only former Dish sub to mention it) :) for channel surfing, sure 1.5 hours is probably fine (ie. what will I watch now/next)... but (chicken/egg) for finding material to DVR (crap.. what night was that on.. I know it's primetime.. but what timeslot?!?!).. I would find 3 (or more) hrs much more useful.

And for you PQ is important... for me, I truly don't remember noticing any difference as I moved from Dish to DTV... I've had the same 47" 1080p LCD for ~4 years... perhaps if/when I switch back, maybe I'd notice something.. I dunno. I'm not sure what is supposedly "better"... ie. does DTV actually send a higher bitrate? Or they have better encoders, or just happen to deliver a picture with a color temp, contrast, etc, that ppl seem to like better? I suppose that is a topic unto itself.

As for programming, the wife's one gotta-have is Bravo, and DTV offers that in the lowest tier(s), vs. Dish forcing you to a mid-level tier... so DTV has the edge there. Other than that, I'm cheap enough that there wasn't any other programming that made a difference (to us) at our lower tier levels (1-2 ESPN channels is enough to satisfy our sports needs... the more die-hard sports offerings aren't relevant to us, but I realize they do make a difference for many others).. Alas, the little that I've looked also suggests that (if forced to the middle tier) Dish won't have the pricing edge that it used to. (I'm cheap, I admit it... I like having a cheaper alternative, even if that requires trade-offs)

The other thing that _might_ keep me with DTV (I can hear the screams now :) ) would be the wireless clients... that has a certain appeal, at least at the detail-free level.. would need to find out more specifics, and no idea if Dish does/will have anything comparable, and/or how many issues the DTV wireless clients have (or wireless clients in general)

Really tho (to get back on topic).. IMO, it isn't whether you, me, or any other current DTV sub *likes* anything... ie. we are here to help a "switcher" make an informed decision and ultimately be happy (or as happy as possible) whichever way they go. The switcher is the only who needs to "get" what we each like or dislike. They can choose the things that resonate with their personal lists of what is/not important to them.

It sounds like you are much better off with Dish. Being a Yankee fan, Dish wouldn't work since they don't carry the YES network. Since programming is number one on my list, it's an easy decision.

Well earler in the thread I stated I would wait for the HR44. I saw a DTV van and installer while driving. He was setting up so I stopped to talk to him. After I explained my concern he showed me inside his truck and he had like 25 HR44's and said that's all they carry. Not sure why the rep told me no go? Got his emplee number I am going to request him if possible. Still checking on somethings.

Well earler in the thread I stated I would wait for the HR44. I saw a DTV van and installer while driving. He was setting up so I stopped to talk to him. After I explained my concern he showed me inside his truck and he had like 25 HR44's and said that's all they carry. Not sure why the rep told me no go? Got his emplee number I am going to request him if possible. Still checking on somethings.

best of luck and hope you enjoy it (truly). If I stay with DTV, I will try to see if I can't get upgraded to a 44 (and the clients.. I know some prefer the DVR-as-clients, but it's not as important to us)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)