From Dish to Direct?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Unless something has changed recently, D* will not activate 2 Genies on the same account no matter how you get them.

Sorry. Mis stated. 1 Gene. and a second DVR. I assumed it was a Gene. Not familiar with all of Directs equipment. Either way second box is 199. and no HR44 in my area.

No problem.

If/when I switch to D* again, it will have to be an HR44 plus another HR24 or whatever is the latest. I don't buy into old tech any more than I have to.

But it will be harder to make the switch back since the upfront cost is higher Dish to Direct than it is from Direct to Dish. Or at least in my case it is.

No problem.

If/when I switch to D* again, it will have to be an HR44 plus another HR24 or whatever is the latest. I don't buy into old tech any more than I have to.

But it will be harder to make the switch back since the upfront cost is higher Dish to Direct than it is from Direct to Dish. Or at least in my case it is.

I am not loaded but I also want the latest tech. and 199 is not bad to make it right. I would need a second DVR because my daughter uses a lot of timers. So free with problems or 199. Not sure when the HR44 will be here but I can keep checking. Even ask a truck when out and about. :)

I understand your situation. My adult son lives with me and likes to record lots of things too. So when I switched I got 2 Hoppers and no Joeys because the dumb clients just weren't going to cut it.

If I were to switch to D*, I'd be doing it the same way you are. I can and would use up all the tuners on the Genie on many occasions.

Picture quality & the tablet app for my D* HR44 is the most outstanding features over my Hopper experience with Dish. Oh, can't forget Direct's sports coverage. Thought it was overrated when I was with Dish but now that I'm experiencing it I now get it. For example, EPL soccer games all carried & NBA LP games all carried in HD & choice of home or away channels. Don't even mention Sunday Ticket, Golf & Tennis Mix Channels. Only wish I didn't have to pay extra for Cricket (the game, not the channel lol)

Don't forget that Dish doesn't even offer EI and RSNs in full time HD

Sent from my Jailbroken iPhone 5 using SatelliteGuys

Don't forget that Dish doesn't even offer EI and RSNs in full time HD

Sent from my Jailbroken iPhone 5 using SatelliteGuys

Good point, forgot about that.

Budda, may not be necessary in your case, but while waiting for the HR44 to come in your area you might get lucky if the wireless clients become available at the same time as well. I was thinking of sticking it out with Dish till the wireless clients became available but since the HR44 was i just decided to switch & pay for the upgrade if I still need a wireless client, which it's looking right now that I don't.

Did a little checking found a list of city's were HR44 have been reported to be installed. Milwaukee WI was one which is 30 miles from me? Has been suggested setup install. When the tech calls ask if he has the 44 on the truck if he does not reschedule or cancel. That may work. Not sure if I need the wireless client. cool feature but my house is pretty wired. Also I have a dual band router. I could turn off 5gz
. I read the wireless is on that band would avoid conflicts.

You realize that only the 3 hour guide window is still there on the Hopper/Joey, don't you?

assuming this was to me.. well dang, that stinks.. I guess my only consolation would be that IF they removed having options, at least they would be forcing me to the option I prefer (ie. 3 hours vs. 1.5 hours)

there is NO good techincal reason all providers shouldn't be able to offer their customers several options on the guide layout/density. No single option is ever going to make all of the customers happy. This is stupid-easy to implement.. I was writing code to scale graphics when I was a co-op... (a very very long time ago), hey at least it was Pascal and not Fortran or cobol :)

assuming this was to me.. well dang, that stinks.. I guess my only consolation would be that IF they removed having options, at least they would be forcing me to the option I prefer (ie. 3 hours vs. 1.5 hours)

there is NO good techincal reason all providers shouldn't be able to offer their customers several options on the guide layout/density. No single option is ever going to make all of the customers happy. This is stupid-easy to implement.. I was writing code to scale graphics when I was a co-op... (a very very long time ago), hey at least it was Pascal and not Fortran or cobol :)

Ya know what ...
I see 1.5 hrs on mine and if I want to see another 1.5hrs, I simply push the right arrow, takes about a quarter of a second ...
I can also move ahead 6 hours at a time and ya know what, if I want to go 24 hrs, I push the button again, another quarter of a second.
I really think this 1.5 vs 3.0 hours thing is way over blown.

Ya know what ...
I see 1.5 hrs on mine and if I want to see another 1.5hrs, I simply push the right arrow, takes about a quarter of a second ...
I can also move ahead 6 hours at a time and ya know what, if I want to go 24 hrs, I push the button again, another quarter of a second.

your preferences have nothing to do with mine, and vise-versa. I have stated (and other ex-Dish subs have stated) that they prefer the 3-hour wide display. If you are claiming our opinion is invalid, then oh well, we have nothing to discuss. If you prefer DTV's GUI, I'm truly happy for you.. in a perfect world we'd all get a GUI suited to our taste. If you think the issue is overblown, stop egging the discussion on.

EDIT: to put it in a different way.. I have plenty of co-workers who have better/worse vision than mine.. the OS we use allow each of us to set our monitors to different resolution, different font sizes, etc. best suited to each user. There is no reason a guide shouldn't support something along these lines. Me, I can read the @#%% copyright line at the bottom of the eyechart.. I'd probably configure my guide to show 6 hours if it would support it... but DTV only gives me one choice 1.5 hours wide... quite possibly the LEAST amt of hours of ANY provider. Dish used to give me options (on the 622), but apparently now also forces a single solution on it's users.. 3 hours... not as much as I'd like, but certainly closer than DTV allows.

Last edited:
just my 2 cents
a 3 hour guide is nice, but if you mainly watch dvr'd content it does not matter
a 1.5 is fine for most use, not many people plan their tv watching 3 hours in advance
with a decent search feature you can find anything

just my 2 cents
a 3 hour guide is nice, but if you mainly watch dvr'd content it does not matter
a 1.5 is fine for most use, not many people plan their tv watching 3 hours in advance
with a decent search feature you can find anything

Yep, that's me! I've had both Dish & Direct and never noticed there was a difference in time. But yeah, the only thing I watch live is some sports, news & the talking heads (when I'm in the mood). Most of what I watch is dvr'd as I can't stand commercials. I think I pay these tv providers enough and don't like being a part of their "double dipping". Plus Directv charges us hefty dvr fees so might as well use it.

Ya know what ...

My mistake, I can go 12 hours ahead at a time, not 6.

There actually is a reason the don't allow it ... probably has to do with having things standard so when people call in and need help, those helping KNOW what your looking at.

That said, Yes, it would be nice to have those options, but I'm sure if they were there, others would want something that ISN'T offered.

your preferences have nothing to do with mine, and vise-versa. I have stated (and other ex-Dish subs have stated) that they prefer the 3-hour wide display. If you are claiming our opinion is invalid, then oh well, we have nothing to discuss. If you prefer DTV's GUI, I'm truly happy for you.. in a perfect world we'd all get a GUI suited to our taste. If you think the issue is overblown, stop egging the discussion on.

EDIT: to put it in a different way.. I have plenty of co-workers who have better/worse vision than mine.. the OS we use allow each of us to set our monitors to different resolution, different font sizes, etc. best suited to each user. There is no reason a guide shouldn't support something along these lines. Me, I can read the @#%% copyright line at the bottom of the eyechart.. I'd probably configure my guide to show 6 hours if it would support it... but DTV only gives me one choice 1.5 hours wide... quite possibly the LEAST amt of hours of ANY provider. Dish used to give me options (on the 622), but apparently now also forces a single solution on it's users.. 3 hours... not as much as I'd like, but certainly closer than DTV allows.

I found an EASY SOLUTION for you ....

Go back to DISH. you obviously feel it's what you desire.

I get that it would be nice to have more guide data available at one time, but I don't get why it's important enough to worry about. It's way down on my want list. Way down.

I get that it would be nice to have more guide data available at one time, but I don't get why it's important enough to worry about. It's way down on my want list. Way down.

The unfortunate thing about online forums is how people can't understand that their list is not everyone else's list of what is important to *them*, or what they find frustrating. You don't have to "get" why it bothers me.. and I don't have to "get" why it doesn't bother you. I'm ok that it doesn't bother you.. for forums to work and be productive you have to do the same in return.

And yes, I probably will be going back to Dish (2 year contract is up in ~6 months).. so everyone can feel secure that someone won't be disparaging the never-less-than-perfect DTV :) Anytime I've made a post on the DTV-side of SatGuys which makes any slightly negative comment about DTV, I can almost set a clock by knowing there will be a can't-be-true reply from Jimbo to quickly follow. I at least have had both services and can make my comments based on 1st hand experience. I try to limit those comments to Dish subs who post here asking about switching (I've got better things to do than rant to DTV subs about the service they are already happy with). I think it's important a potential switcher from Dish have the viewpoint of someone else who has done the same. If the things I mention are of low importance to them (as they appear to be to Chip), then by all means they should switch and feel they they'll be happy, and I'm perfectly happy for them. I'm not here to bash DTV, I'm not here to plug Dish. I'm here to add a viewpoint for forum members deciding to switch to DTV. I'm not sure why so many DTV member here get so easily rankled when someone suggests DTV isn't perfect at everything. Fact is that most services are imperfect (gasp, even Dish), we should be able to discuss that honestly.

The unfortunate thing about online forums is how people can't understand that their list is not everyone else's list of what is important to *them*, or what they find frustrating. You don't have to "get" why it bothers me.. and I don't have to "get" why it doesn't bother you. I'm ok that it doesn't bother you.. for forums to work and be productive you have to do the same in return.

And yes, I probably will be going back to Dish (2 year contract is up in ~6 months).. so everyone can feel secure that someone won't be disparaging the never-less-than-perfect DTV :) Anytime I've made a post on the DTV-side of SatGuys which makes any slightly negative comment about DTV, I can almost set a clock by knowing there will be a can't-be-true reply from Jimbo to quickly follow. I at least have had both services and can make my comments based on 1st hand experience. I try to limit those comments to Dish subs who post here asking about switching (I've got better things to do than rant to DTV subs about the service they are already happy with). I think it's important a potential switcher from Dish have the viewpoint of someone else who has done the same. If the things I mention are of low importance to them (as they appear to be to Chip), then by all means they should switch and feel they they'll be happy, and I'm perfectly happy for them. I'm not here to bash DTV, I'm not here to plug Dish. I'm here to add a viewpoint for forum members deciding to switch to DTV. I'm not sure why so many DTV member here get so easily rankled when someone suggests DTV isn't perfect at everything. Fact is that most services are imperfect (gasp, even Dish), we should be able to discuss that honestly.

I get the same replys when I post on dish forums to inform people about switching from directv.
it goes both ways
neither service is perfect, one just fits your needs better then the other

True dat...... I've tried both & Direct is definitely the one for me. Not in love with the guide or the general UI but for me they do the things I regard as important better than Dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)