From Dish - Upcoming 811 P285 Release Notes

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
The folloing comes passed along from Jason at DBSTalk.COM

Software release P285 is scheduled to hit the birds in partial release (Phase 1) February 15th.

This release will include:

• Addition of QAM (Multiplexed) capability for the ATSC tuner. This would support installations in Multi Dwelling Units (MDU) applications such as apartments and hotels where they use DISH Network service converted to QAM. At this time the QAM format released will not support "Open" architecture which is the type used single family residential systems.
  • Expanded capacity favorites list
  • A new search feature for the EPG similar to that on a PVR. (This feature works in RAM and not a Hard Disk cache so it will be slower than it's NBS PVR cousin.)
  • SPDIF Header improvements for Dolby Digital 5.1. (Compatibility improvements which changes the way a validity bit is set. This improves performance and solves some of the compatibility issues. One more patch is expected for DD5.1 in P286)
  • Enhancement for boot recovery
  • Extension of guide to 3 day
  • Enhancement for MPEG restarts (BSOD, Inverted BSOD corrections)

A new shiny search function and a nifty new 3 day guide. Wow... that's... swell! :D

I don't have a DVR yet so that will assist me with my vcr recordings. Very nice.

Big Blue

well it's febuary 15th and no update yet. has anyone recieved anu word from dish that this isn't just a rumor?
also is anyone haveing trouble with the instant weather channel locking up reciever?

You've probably noticed they are going to remove the Ch. 9500 access to that app, and only make it available in the Ch. 100 menu. I don't recall seeing a specific date listed, so maybe that date is today and it's partially gone, confusing your receiver...

jeffdan said:
well it's febuary 15th and no update yet. has anyone recieved anu word from dish that this isn't just a rumor?
also is anyone haveing trouble with the instant weather channel locking up reciever?
Jason at dbstalk posted yesterday that the P2.85 release has been pushed back to 2/22/2005.

mdonnelly said:
Jason at dbstalk posted yesterday that the P2.85 release has been pushed back to 2/22/2005.
Of course it has, that way they wont have to hear about the new bugs it creates during the tech chat.

n0qcu said:
Of course it has, that way they wont have to hear about the new bugs it creates during the tech chat.
They won't hear about those bugs from me anyway. I'm happy with P2.84, and I'm not accepting any 811 downloads for the forseeable future. :)

jeffdan said:

Yes, but it don't just happen with the weather channel for me. It also does it when I am in Dish Home. I've found that if I cancel before Dish Home loads it goes dark and the only way to fix it is to pull the plug. The reason why I cancel is because it had been over five minutes and Dish Home had not come up.

thanks tony for the info. i also had the same problems with dish home. i did disconnect the reciever and rebooted and everything is working for now. when i pulled the plug i still couldn't get weather ch. 9500 working until i disconnected everything and reinstalled. i did notice line installer was using was that cheap rg-59 crap. so i replaced the sat line with rg-6 and the ota line with rg-11 which boosted my ota percent from low 80's to low to mid 90's. rg-11 isn't that much thicker then rg-6 so i thought i would try it.

jeffdan said:
i did notice line installer was using was that cheap rg-59 crap. so i replaced the sat line with rg-6 and the ota line with rg-11 which boosted my ota percent from low 80's to low to mid 90's. rg-11 isn't that much thicker then rg-6 so i thought i would try it.
As I remember RG-11 has solid polyethelene dieletric and thus a higher high frequency loss the RG-6 foam. RG-11 is better for DC because it is larger in scale.

---

I have been unhappy with the "instant weather" on 9500 (says it's going away) or the interactive app on my 811. (It does not exist on the 921.) It just takes too long--long to load. You wait and wait. It would have been faster to go to the web. It has not been improved.
-Ken

tonyp56 said:
Yes, but it don't just happen with the weather channel for me. It also does it when I am in Dish Home. I've found that if I cancel before Dish Home loads it goes dark and the only way to fix it is to pull the plug. The reason why I cancel is because it had been over five minutes and Dish Home had not come up.
Here's what happened to my 811 when I tried to pull up 9500 the other day:

Attachments

• 811-iWthr-Bug.jpg
    811-iWthr-Bug.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 437
Foxbat said:
Here's what happened to my 811 when I tried to pull up 9500 the other day:

Ditto! Though mine has done it on both channel 9500 and 100. It looks very similar either way! Though I should state, I really never found out why it locks up while it is trying to load Dish Home or the Instant Weather. But once you cancel it, it does the described.

I watched the Tech Chat tonight and I didn't hear anything about the new release. Will we really see it tomorrow?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts