From E* to D*?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cwbuckley

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
EL Paso
I currently have E*, I am using a 211 and a 622 receivers. I really don't have any complaints. Especially enjoy all the hd programming that are offering. However since I work for Circuit City, I can get a $20 voucher each month to be applied to my Directv bill if I were to change. Like I said I don't have any problems with E* but $20 is $20. What I would like to know is how do the two HD DVR receivers compare? I have had Directv in the past, and I didn't have any problems with them either. The only reason that I left them was for the HD programming that E* offered. Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.

I think the HR 20 is much easier to use then the 622. One touch record,you can't beat that. The 622 with is TV1 TV2,BS along with all the other things you have to chose when you want to record on the 622. One button Done ,On the HR 20. 622 channel surfs faster ,thats about the only thing I noticed. HR-20 IMO is a much more advanced receiver then the Vip 622. Just D* hasn't figured it all out yet. But when they do LOOK OUT!

I currently have E*, I am using a 211 and a 622 receivers. I really don't have any complaints. Especially enjoy all the hd programming that are offering. However since I work for Circuit City, I can get a $20 voucher each month to be applied to my Directv bill if I were to change. Like I said I don't have any problems with E* but $20 is $20. What I would like to know is how do the two HD DVR receivers compare? I have had Directv in the past, and I didn't have any problems with them either. The only reason that I left them was for the HD programming that E* offered. Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.
Circuit City should have a demo HR20, play with it and see how you like the operating system. That is going to be the major difference between the 622 and HR20. They both will do the same things just different ways of doing it.:)

The HR20 also has a Media Share feature that allows you to listen to MP3's and view JPG's from a network attached PC. At this time you need three coax runs (2 DBS/1 OTA) but that could change in the next month or so with the release of the SWM switch that would allow for a single coax to do the same. If you use OTA the program guide includes all the over the air ATSC channels along with any subchannels. Rumored to be coming in the next couple months is a Video On Demand function where using your broadband internet connection you can request content to be downloaded to the HR20. An unconfirmed rumor is that you would be able to watch programming recorded on one HR20 on another HR20 that's connected to your homes internal ethernet network.

Why don't you offer some of the features of the HR20 rather than a d* fan boy response??

Have at it Juan...
Generally speaking the info is all over this site, I and others have listed the differences between the 2 HR20's D* has at least twice just this weekend.

Jimbo

Last edited:
IMO the 622 is a better piece of equipment right now. Maybe it is because I don't know where everything on the HR20 is right now. I also really like the ability to have PIP with the 622. The HR20 does seem to be a nice piece of equipment but I was able to get around the 622 faster from the start.

IMO the 622 is a better piece of equipment right now. Maybe it is because I don't know where everything on the HR20 is right now. I also really like the ability to have PIP with the 622. The HR20 does seem to be a nice piece of equipment but I was able to get around the 622 faster from the start.

I would like the PIP too, but I do have it with my Sony so I set it up to have OTA on one and Sat on the other.

Jimbo

I wanted to thank everybody that responded to my question. I really appreciate it. One more question. What kind of deal can I expect to get with a HR20 and a HD Receiver?

I have both the 622 and the HR20. The 622 is by far the better machine as it stands today. Responds better, has DLB's and a 30 second skip rather than "slip". I would think that going from the 622 to the HR20 will feel like a downgrade to most.

I wanted to thank everybody that responded to my question. I really appreciate it. One more question. What kind of deal can I expect to get with a HR20 and a HD Receiver?

The only way to find out is to call D* and ask. Tell them you want to switch to D* but have a problem paying $299 for a HR20 when both E* and the local cable company don't have an upfront charge, and see what they say.

And I am surprised that no one has chimed in about this little nugget: the 622 has triple recording functionality IIRC. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to recall one of the E* DVR's has that, which is something the HR20's do not now have, and likely will not have any time soon, if ever. That being said, I have the HR20 and am quite pleased. Is it the best thing since sliced bread? No, but it does what it is supposed to do.

I have both the 622 and the HR20. The 622 is by far the better machine as it stands today. Responds better, has DLB's and a 30 second skip rather than "slip". I would think that going from the 622 to the HR20 will feel like a downgrade to most.

IMO the dual buffers is over rated. I know I will get flamed for this comment but in all the time I had E*, I never once used it.

The other plus I can see for the 622 is that you can have the external storage while still using the internal storage. You don't have to have one or the other like the HR20.

The other plus I can see for the 622 is that you can have the external storage while still using the internal storage. You don't have to have one or the other like the HR20.

That would be nice, I expect D* to do that eventually ...

Jimbo

Like I said I don't have any problems with E* but $20 is $20.
If the programming prices are apples to apples, then the voucher would be the difference. As it is, DIRECTV programming, on average, costs more. This may eat into your benefit.

You need to establish what programming you want and compare the pricing between the two services. You may also find that one service offers programming important to you that the other does not.

There are many subscribers out there that claim to only need a couple of HD RSNs while others desire a more balanced slate of programming. Which way you lean may determine the suitability of either service.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)