From HR-21 to Laptop?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sancho

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
Is it possible to use the SATA port on the back of my HR-21 to transfer saved programs to my laptop with a SATA to USB cable? If not, is there any way to get those saved shows to my laptop harddrive for viewing on the road?

Sorry, I have not heard of any possibilities yet. Best and most techie option would be to set up a VPN on your home network and use the Direct2PC software they have in Beta.

FYI: I have not tried this yet. I know of a co-worker of mine that does this for his slingbox. Quality will definitely be degraded some since you are limited to your upstream bandwidth from your ISP.

Sorry, I have not heard of any possibilities yet. Best and most techie option would be to set up a VPN on your home network and use the Direct2PC software they have in Beta.

FYI: I have not tried this yet. I know of a co-worker of mine that does this for his slingbox. Quality will definitely be degraded some since you are limited to your upstream bandwidth from your ISP.

You don't have to have a VPN for slingbox. And I am assuming that the OP wanted the content for offline (no Internet connection) viewing on the laptop. If that is the case, slingbox would not work and Direct2PC would not either.

Actually, while browsing software at Sam's Club today I came across some software titled "VCR to DVD 3.0" that uses a variety of inputs to make DVDs. It included a device that allows me to make DVDs on my laptop from my DVR using the S Video output. I can then view those DVDs anywhere.

It works great so far. The only problem, and it is a nit-picky problem at that, is that I can only get the DVDs in 4:3 aspect ratio, so the content that I have that is HD and widescreen is basically letterboxed on DVD replay. But, for $50, I can't complain and I'm finally able to get some of the saved content off of my DVR and free up some additional space.

you could do the same thing with a DVI cable and a RCA to Mono cord and plug it into your Mic. Some Vid cards/laptops now have an HDMI connection you could do a direct burn from and get 16:9, but the legality of discussing this on this forum is another story.

The DVI would give you 16:9 but the sound would sacrafice unless you have other audio inputs on your laptop.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts