From The DISH Network CES Press Event Live

WWW = World-Wide* Web

* Excluding the Las Vegas Convention Center Jan 9-13...

I wouldn't expect any fees to be announced until they have a release date set. Generally Dish will have a release date set and business rules along with other info about the product sent out to retailers. Usually the first we hear of it is during a retailer chat which there is one tomorrow and next Wednesday. The new promotions start Feb. 1st so they will be talking about what changes are coming up during these chats. It's possible they will have more details about the Hopper during these chats but won't know until I watch them.

The more I think about it, it could be a little while before they release the Hopper since they will have to have training for installers on how it works and how to install it. Could be after Team Summit.

So, I just had a epiphany ... moving to Hopper/Joey ... I would lose my TV2 home distribution network that I have with my 722. Moving to a Hopper/Joey would force me to have Joey at every TV. I do gain the benefit of HD at each TV and each TV being able to view its own channel or recording ... but again ... I would lose the ability to watch "TV2" where ever.

This really comes down to costs here for me.

I suspect they are going to price the Hopper the same as the 922; that is, with a premium over the 722. I am willing to take that bite if it means latest/greatest technology. I get free TV2 now ... if I have to pay for TV2, TV3, etc with Joey ... that does not excite me.

If the features of the Hopper do not benefit you then of course it would not make sense to get it. It's not going to benefit everyone but it is answering everyone's gripes about having a whole home DVR solution.

If the features of the Hopper do not benefit you then of course it would not make sense to get it. It's not going to benefit everyone but it is answering everyone's gripes about having a whole home DVR solution.

Of course ...

Either way I am going to have to pay if I want HD on a second TV. Either with a 222 (or the like) ... or swapping to a Hopper/Joey setup.

I just have to figure out what I am willing to pay ;)

Let's think this over a bit. It seems Dish wants this to become the standard install in the future. If that is the case, don't you think it has been designed with low manufacturing, maintenance and install costs? Would that not lead them to price it equally with current offerings, at least for a two TV setup? It would make no sense to make it a higher cost option if they want to make it the most common setup.

A question for those much more knowledgeable than I...Is this Hopper/Joey thing a new name for the Xip813. If not, how does this differ from the 813 other than the primetime recording feature. Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)