Frustrated Future Customer

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

fideauxdon

Original poster
Jul 17, 2019
Florida
In 3 weeks, my 2 year commitment to ATT&T / DirecTV will expire.I know what my new contract with them will cost, and it's not good. I'm considering Dish Network + Internet + Phone service, but unlike DirecTV and Spectrum, my only other choices in zip code 32174, Dish Network doesn't have such a convenience. I've tried calling to talk to an Agent, but in each case, they know what they want to sell me and they don't want to listen to my questions.

My Bill for next month with DirecTV will be $170. My Bill this month was $127. That's for TV plus Internet plus Phone. I don't want to increase my current $127 bill.
Is there ANY WAY to get an estimate from Dish Network?

Time is running short. If I can't get a reliable quote from Dish Network I'll probably book Internet plus Phone service with Spectrum and stream what I want to see with HuLu and my trusty Roku Express. I know that I can save money that way.

This would be best posted in the Dish Support area.

However, the only Internet arrangement Dish has today is via a satellite connection. Slow, expensive and capped. You don’t want it if you have any other choice.

You could get the Spectrum for Internet and maybe land line. Cell phone wherever.

Then Dish would be a separate bill. The total may well be more than the DTV upcoming bill.

Cutting the cord may well work for you. Maybe Dish Sling TV would be a good choice.

Best of luck. You might stick around and see what we do here.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys App. For now.

Spectrum probably has bundles just like Comcast. May be worth a shot to ask them.

I use Comcast for internet only, OTA for local digital TV and Dish for national TV networks. I went with Dish over DirectTV due to better bundling of programming.

I don't recommend getting an Internet and phone service bundle unless it's a significant savings over Internet alone, as unlikely as that is. There are several VOIP services available that range from free to just a few dollars a month after one time adapter costs.that start at about $40. For our Adirondack cottage we have Spectrum Internet with an Obi Hai 202 phone adapter that uses our standard corded and cordless phones. For service, we use Phone Power at $35/year, with the free Google Voice service as a second line.

Do NOT get satellite internet service if you don't have to. I could post 10 paragraphs as to why you shouldn't, but my internet would go down several times in the amount of time it would take to do so. I can't even get a screenshot to upload on any site right now to show you how much of the day my satellite is down or severely crippled.

Reactions: navychop
...There are several VOIP services available that range from free to just a few dollars a month after one time adapter costs.that start at about $40.....

Agreed. I have used Ooma for my home phone for years now. It costs only the adapter (times two - was taken out by lightning), and the monthly state taxes (about $5). The quality is every bit as good as the old AT&T line that it replaced. I ported my original phone number to it.

Reactions: NYDutch
Spectrum probably has bundles just like Comcast. May be worth a shot to ask them.

I use Comcast for internet only, OTA for local digital TV and Dish for national TV networks. I went with Dish over DirectTV due to better bundling of programming.

All those companies could of taught Al Capone or John Gotti a few extorsion lessons. We have Armstrong who are the only game in town. Buy the 3 way bundle and its more or less unlimited on the internet package. Drop the TV and phone keeping the same internet plan, and they charge you an additional amount for going over some imposed bandwidth limit you did not have prior. They hold all the cards in our location.

Dish is NOT an internet provider.

Consider spectrum for your internet.

If you don’t like your contract, if you get a triple play through spectrum they will pay all cancellation fees up to $500 and not require a contract through them

Reactions: ncted
1. We use Ooma (Basic costs taxes only; incredible high-end features for just an additional $10 per month; additional numbers can be added for just $5 per month) VoIP. NOBODY offers features and great voice quality (apps for phone/tablet, as well) for its really low price. We get Text Notices if someone leaves a message AND we also use the feature that sends the message left at home sent to our mobile email address. And yes, you can even FORWARD calls at home to another phone--and if the internet goes out, you can set it to forward all calls to your smart phone until internet is restored. Far cheaper than a bundle. The hardest part is PORTING your number because the phone co. or cable co. DON'T want you to change. Just keep at it and they will relinquish it to Ooma.

2. We have Spectrum (Charter) for Internet ONLY (100 Mbps downstream).

3. Dish Hopper 3 for TV.

Price all that out for yourself. See what your monthly cost would be. Ooma does have a one time-cost for the unit, but that will pay for itself pretty quickly. I've seen the Ooma Telo selling for less than $100. I think they still sell them at Costco. The amount of $$ we have saved is tremendous. For us the three separate services listed above is significantly LESS than ANY bundle offered by DTV or Charter or anyone. And for MORE savings here is a 4th service:

4. Use an MVNO--NOT ANY of the big wireless carriers. Our MVNO (3rd party cell/smart phone service using a big wireless network) has saved us MOUNDS of money and with NO EXTRA charges--Ever! A predictable monthly low cost bill. If we need more data (which we never do under our plan), then we can buy it and any unused additional data is ROLLED OVER for future use when you need it for as long as you are a customer. And all with NO compromise by being an MVNO customer as opposed to direct big wireless company. Even the big carriers ALSO own and operate MVNO's.

One thing to consider when finding an MVNO, is WHOSE network is used, if that matters to you. I have always used MVNO's using VERIZON's network with its far better coverage than any other. Then it is a matter of pricing how many phones/numbers, single vs. multiple users vs. value of data provided. I can tell you that my brother who is a Verizon direct customer was bumped down to 3G, while at the same time my phone (and the other user of our MVNO who was with us) were still 4G on Verizon's network. This has happened more than a few times when we were with other Verizon or other big wireless direct customers. He gets pay "fool's price" for being a Verizon direct customer. We were big wireless customers for a while, so we KNOW that we have never had a diminished experience using our past and present MVNO using Verizon's network.

You can go to a Wikipedia page that lists all the MVNO's and whose network they use. You do need to research a bit. For example, for ONE phone, Page Plus may be best, but it is a BAD value for 2 or more, while Total Wireless is the much better value for multiple phones. But research all that yourself.

And next time, DO NOT buy a phone from ANY wireless carrier or MVNO. Get yourself a good UNLOCKED phone that can work on ANY of the big wireless carries network and enjoy further savings. Really, does a grown-up need a phone any better than the affordable and very capable Moto G7 (HIGHLY RATED by even APPLE and SAMSUNG users--watch the YouTube video reviews)? But if one is an Apple snob or puts their personal self-esteem into a Samsung $900 phone, then there is no help or savings for them.

Break out the numbers/costs for yourself. For us, it resulted in quite a lot more money falling into our pockets every month by not bundling, but by selecting separate services and phones and creating our own "bundle" . And, of course, there is always eating on Norm's :). Better, more reliably tender steak than Black Angus and with soup AND salad AND dessert included. He, he. Just some fun on the Norm's recommendation :).

See if all of that can work for your. YOU will save money and afford a Hopper 3.

Last edited:
All those companies could of taught Al Capone or John Gotti a few extorsion lessons. We have Armstrong who are the only game in town. Buy the 3 way bundle and its more or less unlimited on the internet package. Drop the TV and phone keeping the same internet plan, and they charge you an additional amount for going over some imposed bandwidth limit you did not have prior. They hold all the cards in our location.
Yeah, I hear you. It really is abominable. Just drop one of their 3, and they HOSE you!

In 3 weeks, my 2 year commitment to ATT&T / DirecTV will expire.I know what my new contract with them will cost, and it's not good. I'm considering Dish Network + Internet + Phone service, but unlike DirecTV and Spectrum, my only other choices in zip code 32174, Dish Network doesn't have such a convenience. I've tried calling to talk to an Agent, but in each case, they know what they want to sell me and they don't want to listen to my questions.

My Bill for next month with DirecTV will be $170. My Bill this month was $127. That's for TV plus Internet plus Phone. I don't want to increase my current $127 bill.
Is there ANY WAY to get an estimate from Dish Network?

Time is running short. If I can't get a reliable quote from Dish Network I'll probably book Internet plus Phone service with Spectrum and stream what I want to see with HuLu and my trusty Roku Express. I know that I can save money that way.

I have Spectrum for internet/phone and Dish separately. As mentioned, Dish only has satellite internet. Not a good choice, unless that is your only choice. I would rather go with Verizon or some other cel internet if i had to go that way, plus 5G is on the way. In the future there will be more internet choices for less money.

Reactions: NYDutch and HipKat
Dish is NOT an internet provider.

Consider spectrum for your internet.

If you don’t like your contract, if you get a triple play through spectrum they will pay all cancellation fees up to $500 and not require a contract through them
Internet, and now Cell Phone service provider...

Reactions: HipKat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)