Frustrated newbie... help please!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Lak7, thanks a ton for the help and patience. Just wanted to make sure I understand... it sounds like you want me to look at a tv picture while searching but I don't have an option for that (to my knowledge). I can select an option where the signal and quality meters are displayed to help me fine-tune, but I can't see a picture while in search mode - it just shows the menu.

Just have the Manual Scan menu on the TV, with the 11800 showing at the Freq.
The Quality meter only reacts when you hit a Sat with that exact TP, not just any Sat signal.

I don't have a Coolsat 6100, but I have a few 5000's. If the Menu's are the same, with your remote, you need to press:
Menu, and with
Installation highlighted, press
OK, and with
Dish Setting highlighted, press
OK
now you should set the screen like this:
Satellite .......... Galaxy 19 ku, or Galaxy 25 ku, or whatever you call it
LNB Power .......... ON
LNB Type ......... Universal
LNB Freq ......... 9750/10600
22KHz ................ AUTO
DiSEqC Switch ... OFF

hope this helps!

Ok, we are speaking the same lingo... that's what I have been doing all day. Voom voom, I have all the settings you suggest but there is not a 22KHz option. I'm about to throw this thing out. Any chance it is equipment and not operator?

Any chance it is equipment and not operator?

You said that there was an old DishNet, not DirecTV, still on the house, you can try this.
If the LNB is still on it, connect the receiver, setup the Sat:
Echostar XXX @ 110
LNB Power .......... ON
LNB Type ......... Standard
LNB Freq ......... 11250
22KHz ................ AUTO
DiSEqC Switch ... OFF

Then go to the Manual Scan Menu and flip thru the different Freqs see if the Q Meter lights up.

Ok, I'll try again tomorrow - raining very hard right now so I'm done for the day. I did try the DishNet antenna earlier. The antenna is functional and was used up until August. I connected to it, powered on the receiver and let it do an auto-detect... it came up with nothing. That's kind of why I'm wondering if it's equipment. I figured the DishNet antenna would be a guranteed hit for a signal.
Do you think the 22KHz has anything to do with it? I don't have that option at all.

Well, when the Coolsat is first powered on, it has you select language and time, then asks if you want it to auto-detect. I pushed "ok" and it did a blind scan for anything out there... came back with nothing. Tomorrow I'll do a specific set-up as you described - but I'm thinking the blind scan from initial set-up today would have reported any signals.

FTA is the farthest thing from Plug-N-Play.
You have to enter the Info for the Equipment You have, the receiver is not smart enough to figure it out for it self.
Tomorrow is another day.

Make sure your mount is vertical (check with level on east/west and north/south points on post). Set the azimuth using a compass. The elevation is set using a scale on the mount, HOWEVER, most of the scales are sort of almost close, so don't make that adjustment "law". Instead, use the elevation scale as a guide. Aim the dish with these listed adjustments, then "sweep" the dish VERY SLIGHTLY right and left. If you don't get a quality signal (the strength only indicates that you have a good connection/communication between receiver and lnb), then raise the dish VERY SLIGHTLY (maybe 1/16 inch from where it sits on the scale) and sweep again. Have a TV and receiver out near the dish with you, as suggested, and work rather slowly - give the receiver time to respond when getting a signal. When you get a signal (QUALITY) rock back and forth, up and down VERY SLIGHTLY to get the strongest QUALITY signal you can. Tighten the bolts a little at a time to prevent moving the dish (monitor with the receiver) and you should then be able to blind scan for all the available channels. THIS TAKES PATIENCE! It WILL work, and then you'll know what to do from there on other satellites/systems.............good luck....:up

You said that there was an old DishNet, not DirecTV, still on the house, you can try this.
If the LNB is still on it, connect the receiver, setup the Sat:
Echostar XXX @ 110
LNB Power .......... ON
LNB Type ......... Standard Single
LNB Freq ......... 11250
22KHz ................ AUTO OFF
DiSEqC Switch ... OFF

Then go to the Manual Scan Menu and flip thru the different Freqs see if the Q Meter lights up.
Actually, on my Coolsat 5000 it will say Single for the LNB Type
and you will need to change the LNB Freq with the right arrow to read the 11250
and if the 22KHz was available it would need to read OFF
the rest is right though and Lak is correct, it's moot about the 22KHz, because you don't need it.

I notice some receivers have card readers. What are the card readers used for?
In other parts of the World, the Subscription Provider can just supply a Card, you use your own equip.
You should start your own topic for more / better answers.

The reason you don't have access to 22k is your LNB is universal, and with that setting, 22k is auto (universal LNBs require the 22k tone to switch from Ku low to Ku high)...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)