Frustrating Signal Loss

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SnockZilla

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 14, 2004
Good Morning All, I'm new to this FTA game but learning quickly. I got to get this one problem figured out and need your help. I am aimed at T6. I pick up between 22 and 32 TP's on every scan. Some transponders have a good strong signal. Of course those are the ones that are broadcasting nothing. One channel, Blomberg is my strongest with a level of 80% Quality 85%. Most other transponders that are broadcasting news feeds and the like are poor. The level is at 78% however the quality bounces from 45% to 0% about every second causing my picture to be jumbled and the audio falling in and out. I tried tweaking the dish, elevation and azimuth and skewing the lnb and also moving the lnb back and forward. nothing seems to keep the signal locked. My setup is a Pansat 2500 with a Horizon 75cm dish. The lnb is a FSS Digital KU LNBF 11.7-12.2. Somebody PLEASE help. This is so frustrating. Thanks in advance for any advise.

the one thing to remember is that some news feeds broadcast at a lower power (if they're only 20 miles from the station). A bigger dish might clear this up.

On my setup, IA6 (T6) I get Bloomberg around 85 quality, but ABC News Now around 60, and the CBS feed around 45...When I do a scan, I get about the same (25-30), but alot of them either don't register as any programs or are pretty low (or scrambled)

A bigger dish (90 cm or 1 meter) might help

Fluctuating Signal

Iceberg said:
the one thing to remember is that some news feeds broadcast at a lower power (if they're only 20 miles from the station). A bigger dish might clear this up.

Iceberg, I tried lining up to different Sat's and am still having the same problem. Signal in most transponders are between 40 and 50%. Signal stays locked for only about 5 seconds then drips to 0 then back to 40 or 50 again and back and forth. Very Frustrating! Called my local Sat guy. He told me it could be a multitude of things including voltage. I don't think it is the dish size because the same thing is happening on all the Sat's that I get a signal on. I even took the switch that i had in-line out thinking that might have been the problem. That didn't work. If it is voltages, how would find that out and how do I control it. I need help. I have been screwing with this thing for days. Again my setup is Pansat 2500 with 75cm dish set on standard lnb, freq 10750, 22kHz set to off. I tweaked the Elevation, Azimuth, and skewed the lnb. I don't have any idea where to go from here. Hope somebody can point me to in the right direction. Thanks SN

SnockZilla said:
Iceberg, I tried lining up to different Sat's and am still having the same problem. Signal in most transponders are between 40 and 50%. Signal stays locked for only about 5 seconds then drips to 0 then back to 40 or 50 again and back and forth. Very Frustrating! Called my local Sat guy. He told me it could be a multitude of things including voltage. I don't think it is the dish size because the same thing is happening on all the Sat's that I get a signal on. I even took the switch that i had in-line out thinking that might have been the problem. That didn't work. If it is voltages, how would find that out and how do I control it. I need help. I have been screwing with this thing for days. Again my setup is Pansat 2500 with 75cm dish set on standard lnb, freq 10750, 22kHz set to off. I tweaked the Elevation, Azimuth, and skewed the lnb. I don't have any idea where to go from here. Hope somebody can point me to in the right direction. Thanks SN

make sure your cable is good RG6 recommended for frequencies up to 2200...the old RG59 won't cut it :)
Go to Radio Shack, Home Depot, Lowes, Menards and get some good RG6 if you don't have it..make sure it says for satellite or for up to 2200 MHZ:)

Properly grounding the system may just help also, If it is not been done already!

Iceberg said:
make sure your cable is good RG6 recommended for frequencies up to 2200...the old RG59 won't cut it :)
I'm using the RG6 already. I forgot to mention that in my last post. Hey thanks for the quick response. Keep your thinking cap on. I will try anything. I appreciate the help.

Not grounded yet. Whoops!

PSB said:
Properly grounding the system may just help also, If it is not been done already!

My system is not grounded. Could that be the problem. I hope it could only be that simple. What is the proper way to ground the system. No water lines close by. Will a steel spike in the ground be sufficient with a copper wire between the dish and the spike?

-Make sure LNB is straight (think 12-6 oclock) when you start
-LNB is as far away from the dish
-make sure dish isnt bent (if you tightened the screws too tight...never know)
-have you tried a different piece of cable?

You are right Tony, I just did a Hotdish install, last thing you want to do is over tighten the reflector, it pulls it way out of whack, just slightly over hand tight is all you need, I also found the focal point of the LNB had to be moved, the LNB had to be moved closer to the dish, then skewed, hope this helps.

That's how I remembered that part..you had said that

I had the same issue with my Hotdish (wait...that's what we call casseroles in MN.,...hot dish) :) and had to bend it back out.

Yep! you want to squeeze every ounce of signal out from it.

Attachments

• Pict0009.JPG
    Pict0009.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 195
Position of LNB

mkm4 said:
The problem might also be due to a bad lnb.

My LNB does not have any markings on it. How should it be placed in its holder to be set at 0 so that I will know where my starting point is. Also, I have seen LNB's that have a lower db of 0.4 mine is .06db. Will the 0.4db give me better reception. Is there a big difference between the two?

The LNB should be straight up and down for the zero skew position, then you can rotate it L or R to get a bit more signal as the skew sets the lnb to the same position the satellites are in the sky, from your location. There are better, lower noise LNB available costing more, are they worth it? Well they help, but not as much as a BIGGER dish, but its always a good idea to have two or three LNB as you never know when you will need a spare, or a replacement to confirm the one you have is working OK.

Question:

Is there a better type of cable to use other than RG6U? In other words, is there a cable which will result in lower amounts of signal resistance (loss?)?

Just curious if we could squeeze another couple of % quality out of system.

greyskies

There is RG11 much thicker and only used over L O N G distances, new cable will not help much over a short distance, a bigger dish is always the first thing people want to upgrade to, or the better LNB. I think a 1 meter dish is perfect for this hobby.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)