frustration... please help

davidmn999

Original poster
Oct 5, 2005
I ussed to be a directv installer until last week. Now changing to dish network, I've been finding diferent situations that hopefully I've been able to resolve by my self... but the only one that is really taking me out of patience is the issue with the phone connection on the new dp plus receivers. Every time I get to finish an install and the customer does not have a phone line in their house, that means an extra 30 minutes or more talking with the ineficient people from customer service and the tech support trying to bypass that option. Sometimes, they do it in 5 minutes... sometimes. Today, after I talk with 4 different people (customer service/tech support) the last one toldme that because a problem on their systems, the customer had to wait up to 24 hours until that pop up goes away... just imagine how nice I had to be with the customer to avoid a cancellation on the service. Anyway, is there anything I can do to avoid this problem???? any ideas will be REALLY apretiated.... and thanks for your time

The best way I've found is to simply do your software download/phone line check from your office or warehouse. All you have to do is an updated checkswitch at the customer's home when you install the receiver.

webbydude said:
The best way I've found is to simply do your software download/phone line check from your office or warehouse. All you have to do is an updated checkswitch at the customer's home when you install the receiver.

I though about that but wasn't sure if it was gonna fix the problem for ever, I'm just afraid that someday that pop up comes back and then I'll have a service call... Is that gonna happend?

With dual tuner receivers, the $4.99 popup will come out any time the line is disconnected but was previously connected. In those cases, without a phone line the customer pays $5 more per dual tuner receiver than they would if it wasn't hooked up to a phone line.

I Had To Buy A Dial Tone Prodcer.. Cant Remember Exactly What It Was Named But It Was A Little Box That Produces A Dial Tone And It Gets Rid Of That Box Real Quick.. What your looking for is a dial tone emulator.. the boxes are from 200 to 400. I got mine from ebay at a good price.

Here you go this is right up your ally.. Way cheeper than the pbx switch i payed for.. for 25 bucks you cant go wrong

ebay item number 5815419415

and it saves alot of heartbreak Oh btw Welcome to satelliteguys :) I hope that you make satelliteguys your New internet home :)

goaliebob99 said:
I Had To Buy A Dial Tone Prodcer.. Cant Remember Exactly What It Was Named But It Was A Little Box That Produces A Dial Tone And It Gets Rid Of That Box Real Quick.. What your looking for is a dial tone emulator.. the boxes are from 200 to 400. I got mine from ebay at a good price.

won't they still have to pay the five dollar fee if not connected? dish really needs to find a better solution than this.

webbydude said:

Yea this is a good idea, only problem is is that after 24 hours the customer will start getting this little pop up message saying that if they want to avoid the $4.99 monthly fee to reatach the phone line.

When you get to the point that you have to call a csr to deal with this issue just tell them you need to have a phone line bypass code put on the account for how ever many dual tuners on the account dont have a phone jack that you can connect to. Only the dual tuners require a phone line at all times, any other dish pro reciever doesnt though dish does want a phone line connected to all receivers.

korsjs said:
won't they still have to pay the five dollar fee if not connected? dish really needs to find a better solution than this.

yea but it gets the installer out of there... after that its the coustomers problem but when I did that I allwaysed avised the coustomer of the 5 dollar fee. It comes in handy when you call in to activate the reciver and bypass the phone line test because you allready have done it insence.. your letting the csr know to attach that fee. and you dont have to wait for the screen to go bye bye (it can take up to 45 min in some cases but usally its 5 to 10 min) and by that time the installer is trying to get out of there quick.

Biggest thing you really should do is plan your install acording to where the phone jack is at, if there is no phone jack in the living room and the customer has a nice entertainment set up there but a cheapo kmart special in the bed room you obviously want to put the dual tuner unit with the living room but you first have to explain to the customer about the phone jack issue before hand specialy if you cant run a phone line to the nearest jack. If you are still putting it in then call a csr before you start the install and tell the csr to put in the phone line bypass code on the account and this will expidite your activation as well as get that anoying phone ine test off the tv screen.

goaliebob99 said:
Here you go this is right up your ally.. Way cheeper than the pbx switch i payed for.. for 25 bucks you cant go wrong

ebay item number 5815419415

and it saves alot of heartbreak Oh btw Welcome to satelliteguys :) I hope that you make satelliteguys your New internet home :)

Have you done this??? I worked for weeks building dial tone generators, but recs needed more than just tone.

Need to know for sure if this will work on X22s! :D

You guys have missed the easiest solution just carry a wireless phone jack in your truck.

I also suggest you learn how to sell $5.00 a month for no phone jack or I'll run one for $50.00 or a wireless jack for $60.00.

This is called an add on sale and Profit for you $5.00 in parts for the jack & wire and that leaves $45.00 for your 15 - 30 min of labor which = $90.00 an hour labor rate or more and the customer breaks even in 10 months.

How many of you subs are making $90.00 an install let alone an hour?

The problem is "no phone connection" in new houses. Often we are a day ahead of phone co.

I emailed the guy with tone gen. and he was evasive.
I built a micro based dial tone gen. and a true sine wave generator, but neither would work on a 322.

I didn't know at the time but I believe sat signal must be present and who knows what else to beat the system.

If anyone has a $100 answer it would sure be a handy tool for the truck.

Something like this -- combined with a laptop and cell modem (GPRS or EVDO or whatever) would do your trick wonderfully (MAYBE)

The problem would be whether or not even then a dish box would be able to dial in.. Over a good EVDO connection and *IF* you could get internet sharing from the laptop to a vonage box, I *KNOW* it'd work because those boxes do dish boxes just fine..

Otherwise, it'd be a real big "maybe". If you have a laptop and ~$100 for the modem + like $40 a month for the internet service + the monthly for the cheapest VoIP line (vonage or any other VoIP provider that has known working-with-dish-boxes hardware) seems worth it to NOT have to call the place every time and possibly wait a long time for the box to be activated, it might be worth a shot!

OTOH, having GPRS/EVDO on a laptop can be really awesome anyway. [What I wonder is if it'd be possible to forward the ports to the VoIP box over internet sharing!] .. The additional $15 a month or so for a vonage line [with an RTP300 that I know works with dish's boxes] .. yeah.. then it doesn't sound like as big an investment heheh.

All they have to do in tech support is add the access fee to the account, send a hit, and then you just do a front panel reset. It takes care of it instantly. I do imagine they will do something about it with future software updates. They update the software on dual tuners every couple of weeks.

inwo said:
The problem is "no phone connection" in new houses. Often we are a day ahead of phone co.
Inwo has it - I just did one today. No landline until Wednesday.

The CSRs on the installer activation hotline know what to do. Never had a problem.

rowemance said:
You guys have missed the easiest solution just carry a wireless phone jack in your truck.

I also suggest you learn how to sell $5.00 a month for no phone jack or I'll run one for $50.00 or a wireless jack for $60.00.

This is called an add on sale and Profit for you $5.00 in parts for the jack & wire and that leaves $45.00 for your 15 - 30 min of labor which = $90.00 an hour labor rate or more and the customer breaks even in 10 months.

How many of you subs are making $90.00 an install let alone an hour?

there you go people, just another way dish screws there customers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)