Frustration with 2-year deals

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hofferb

Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
Virginia
Am I missing something? I currently have Comcast and want to save some money and get some extra functionality by going to satellite.

However, these providers lock you into 2-year deals with the price going up the 2nd year busting the budget I hope to set for myself.

Is the trick/rule-of-thumb to call back at the end of year one and threaten to switch providers so that they continue the deal???

Thanks...

No you are locked into a contract for the 2 year. Leave and be hit with a ETF.

Figure it takes them almost 2 years to break even on a new customer. That is why Satellite companies require a 2 year contract.

Am I missing something? I currently have Comcast and want to save some money and get some extra functionality by going to satellite.

However, these providers lock you into 2-year deals with the price going up the 2nd year busting the budget I hope to set for myself.

Is the trick/rule-of-thumb to call back at the end of year one and threaten to switch providers so that they continue the deal???

Thanks...

I do find Dish to be a great deal especially if you have 2 TVs. A Duo receiver can be used for 1 HD and 1 SD TV. This would mean no equipment charge for the primary receiver. One charge that some get with one receiver is a DVR fee. Even with three TVs (2 HD, 1 SD), there could be a low $7/month charge when considering that other providers charge.

The 2-year contract is not bad when considering free installation and free equipment (although it is leased and you may incur monthly charges for more than one receiver).

After the first year, if you find your package to be too much, then you could downgrade to the lowest available package according to the contract terms. What is great is that Dish has several options or packages such as Dish Family, America's Top 120, America's Top 200, America's Top 250, America's "Everything" Pak, Dish America, Dish America Silver, Dish America Gold, Dish Latino (Basico, Clasico, Plus, Dos, Max...some of these have English channels as well), and international packages along with premiums, Blockbuster @ Home, a la carte, sports programming packages, etc.

After the second year, the loyalty department will try to keep you either with offers or money off your bill for a certain number of months [ex. free premium(s), an amount of money (ex. $10) off your bill for months (ex. 6 months), equipment upgrades (possibly...although this may get you into a new contract for new equipment), etc.]. There is even a $14.99 Welcome Pack in order to retain subs with a nice variety of channels. Dish also has several options of contacting them. Phone, e-mail, online CSR chat, the wonderful DIRT members here (usually the best route unless you are away from a computer or/and Internet), etc.

Last edited:
:welcome

There are some great deals you can get right now:

-Cinemax, HBO, Starz, and Showtime for 3 months free ($35 value per month)

-Blockbuster @ Home for 3 months free ($10 value per month)

-Up to $30 in Monthly Programming Credit for a Year* (*$5 for Dish Family; $10 for Dish Latino Clasico, Dish America, Dish America Silver, Dish America Gold; $15 for America's Top 120, America's Top 120+, Dish Latino Plus, Dish Latino Dos; $18 for Dish Latino Max; $25 for America's Top 200; $30 for America's Top 250, America's "Everything" Pak)

-Protection Plan for 4 months free ($6 value per month)

-I believe that you can still get up to 3 HD receivers for free during installation along with 1 HD DVR
[Note: HD Solo receivers can be turned into DVRs with a one-time $40 fee without the $6/monthly DVR fee along with your own external hard drive(s).]

Resources:
Channel Line-up Cards
Pricing Calculator
Manuals
Plan Agreements

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. We are here to help! :)

Last edited:
This link provides a better, updated list of the Dish Latino channels: DISH LATINO

For the first year, I would honestly recommend America's Top 250 if you like movies because you get the west feeds of The Movie Channels, Epix Drive-In, Encore (East) HD, Encore West, Encore Westerns, Encore Action, Encore Suspense, Encore Drama, Encore Love, Encore Family, and MoviePlex.

Or you could consider an OTA antenna and some Internet programming or a BB/NetFlix subscription. Plus, your local library may have some DVDs to loan out free.

It would be nice if new customers or existing could get a guaranteed locked in price for 2 years. 2013 less than a year from now will surely have some surprises & probably not in a good way. Not a good time to be signing a 2 yr contract with dish.

Mojo Jojo:

I don't care about 3-6 month deals. I would rather lock-in my budget for the whole 2 years!
I wish they would just average it!

Mojo Jojo:

I don't care about 3-6 month deals. I would rather lock-in my budget for the whole 2 years!
I wish they would just average it!
You could still take the 2 year deal. Just figure out what your total cost will be for the whole 2 year contract and budget it that way. It's not that hard.

I believe the fee is $99 along with equipment costs.

You can also self-install and avoid that fee. I used Clint at ae-tx.com to mail me my stuff and got set up about a year and a half ago.

You could still take the 2 year deal. Just figure out what your total cost will be for the whole 2 year contract and budget it that way. It's not that hard.

Yep, you've got to factor that in at the start. I've done that to a fault, it's true, but pretend you're paying your average from the start, save the balance in a cookie jar, and get ready to shell it out the next year.

That's part of why I went Flex. Turn it off whenever you want, but pay full price for the privilege.

Just like budgeting anything you need to look at what it will cost you in the long run. Obviously you have know idea if there will be a prize increase in the future but you won't know that with any provider. Depending on how many TVs you want hooked up Dish is usually the best deal after all the promotions are over.

It would be nice if new customers or existing could get a guaranteed locked in price for 2 years. 2013 less than a year from now will surely have some surprises & probably not in a good way. Not a good time to be signing a 2 yr contract with dish.
Well, it is a guaranteed discount. And it is doubtful Dish will up prices from affordable to unaffordable in the period of a year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)