Frustration with Install, should I switch?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cavemantrader

Original poster
Feb 7, 2006
Hey guys,
I'm new to the forum and I'm writing because I had an appointment scheduled for today to get the upgrade to the MPEG4 dish. The installer did not call until 5:00 (for my 1:00 to 5:00 time slot) and he explained that he would get to my house after 6:00. I told him don't bother coming since he will not be able to successfully install the dish in the dark on the second floor stucco wall of my house. He said "oh I've never done one on a stucco wall" and agreed that he would not be able to do it today.

I made this appointment last week and I left work early so that I could make it home for the upgrade, but now I have wasted the afternoon. In addition, the Retention department that helped me schedule the appointment did not list the work order like we discussed. I wanted 2 upgrades receivers and 2 new receivers (4 total). The order listed only 2 receivers.

I have been a customer since 1998 and I currently run 6 Directv receivers (had hoped to go to 8 on this order). I have always been a big fan, but now I find that my frustration is pushing me to consider HD cable instead of buying new boxes everytime that I upgrade or add receivers.

Am I crazy? Should I just get over my frustration?

Any input, particularly from anyone who has recently had HD cable would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

i understand your frustration, but, the tech is legal, he called by 5 pm.

he should have called earlier, i ALWAYS DO.

the time slot means he can get to your home anytime between 1 and 5 , dont confuse this with getting there at 1 and being done by 5.

i dont know what cableco is in your area, but here we fight comcrap. GUESS what the appointments are for them here in the pittsburgh area?

A DATE. yep 8 am to 8 pm PERIOD.... you be there all day.

so how would the cableco be any better??

I don't think you want to put that AT9 dish on stucco. Do you know what stucco is? Its like sprayed on Styrofoam painted. I don't think D* will like the any dish mounted to stucco.

tate,

here in the burgh, stucco is srpayed on GUNNITE, same as our pools are made of. and it is usually backed by mesh over either concrete block or 3/4 inch plywood.

The Tate,
I think that the "stucco" that you are describing is the much hated artificial stucco. Mine is actually 3 layers of concrete put on over a period of a week.

Dragon,
with regard to which cable company, I would be dealing with Time Warner. I don't like them, but I don't understand how DTV drops the ball with regard to the details of what I wanted done and getting the guy to my house today. And the only reason that I needed to do this change was because of the upgrade. Normally, I would just buy another receiver myself and connect it.

How about picture quality? Has anyone seen HD cable recently? I don't know how the cable would compare to the DTV that I used to, keeping in mind that my concern is over a 61" plasma, a 43" plasma, and a 110" projector.

Thanks again,
Dave

3/4" plywood is not good enough to mount the AT9 dish, unless you can hit a stud. Of course, properly anchored mounting into concrete would also be OK.

-Robert

Is it stroug enough to support the AT9 dish?

I saw pictures of a DWay dish that was mounted to stucco, "note I said WAS" it fell the next day after it was installed and shattered.

By the way dragon congrats.

Edit: Robert answered my question before I got my post up. Thanks again.

Installer late etc...

DIrectv and or the hsp schudules the installers, they always over book and a typical install takes between 2 and 3 hours sometimes. And lot of times there is problems that the installer cant account for etc... That why he was probably late, it is best to get an early morn. install from these guys..

I agree that the early morning appointment is the most predictable. However, most of my action at work occurs before noon each day. It is much easier for me to leave work early in the afternoon than it is to show up at work around noon.

dodge said:
DIrectv and or the hsp schudules the installers, they always over book and a typical install takes between 2 and 3 hours sometimes. And lot of times there is problems that the installer cant account for etc... That why he was probably late, it is best to get an early morn. install from these guys..

2-3 hours....you ARE funny!! average 4 bagger is 2 hours. most are 1.5 hours.

cripe i did the actor terry o'quinns conversion with 12 IRDS in under 2 with 2 paratodos dishes with the sat c combiners

Installs

I did a swap of an triple lnb to at9 on a roof saturday about 1 hr to mount dish and 45 mins. on the phone with directv trying to get them to turn on customers locals. Did another at9 h20 and an d11 that afternoon 2 hours mount aim dish run new lines and 1hr on phone with activation with directv.

Caveman, I would call customer retention and let them know how "unhappy" you are. Seems to me that when they don't write good notes for the installer and they don't bring enough equipment you have a pretty good beef. Other than that though I think you just got caught in the D* same old not giving the installers all the info spin.

dragon002 said:
2-3 hours....you ARE funny!! average 4 bagger is 2 hours. most are 1.5 hours.

cripe i did the actor terry o'quinns conversion with 12 IRDS in under 2 with 2 paratodos dishes with the sat c combiners

That depends if you are using a Round ODU or a AU2.

lol, now I'm really curious, both tate and dragon know way more about this stuff than I, and they aren't even sure, someone confirm please.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts