FSN HD any time soon?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Raff

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2004
I am watchin the Boston Celtics on FSN and it says available in HD for comcast viewers. I was just wondering if DirecTV will be getting FSN in HD any time if at all?

If anyone can point me to any sites or information that would be appreciated !

Thanks

Not anytime soon, they don't have room for it.

They could use the 9 channel special event set up they use for football, but I guess there's legal issues in addition to just showing the game.

Raff said:
I am watchin the Boston Celtics on FSN and it says available in HD for comcast viewers. I was just wondering if DirecTV will be getting FSN in HD any time if at all?

If anyone can point me to any sites or information that would be appreciated !

Thanks

Once the spaceway birds are up, I would imagine that D* would add whatever RSNHD channels they can (assuming those channels are broadcast over sat of course).

Most of the RSNHD channels are owned by the cable operators and are sent over fiber so that cable can call them 'cable exclusives'. I'm not betting on many RSNHDs to get added once D* has the room for them.

I would think that the Fox RSN's would not be that hard to get since they are "part of the family"

fkostyn said:
I would think that the Fox RSN's would not be that hard to get since they are "part of the family"

They are only part owned by FOX. Majority ownership is the cable operators. At least that's how I understand it to work. And the cable operators don't want DBS providers getting their hands on the channels. In their minds, it gives them an edge to retaining customers by saying that you can only watch your favorite sports team in HD by having cable.

Many of the operators don't even share the channel amongst other operators. A great example is MSGHD and FSNYHD here in NYC. Both are owned by Cablevision (CV). FSNY is partly owned by FOX. You can only get those 2 channels on CV systems. TWC and comcast are shut out. So if you're an Isles/Rangers/Knicks/Devls fan wanting to see your team in HD, you have to live in a CV area to see the games.

Is anyone familiar with the blackout rules for the NBA? Last weekend I could watch the Bucks/Pistons play on my local FSN and the game was in HD on channel 94 or 97, I don't remember, but I couldn't get the HD broadcast. Why would that be? If I can see the SD version I would think I would get the HD one also.

Chris

CRendall said:
Is anyone familiar with the blackout rules for the NBA? Last weekend I could watch the Bucks/Pistons play on my local FSN and the game was in HD on channel 94 or 97, I don't remember, but I couldn't get the HD broadcast. Why would that be? If I can see the SD version I would think I would get the HD one also.

Chris

The Bucks/Pistons game was a NBAHD presentation (which is nothing more than a retransmission of the home team's feed). You would only have been able to see it in HD if you had your local cable co's HD RSN channel.

Since the game wasn't a national exclusive, the game gets blacked out in your local area as your local RSN has the rights to the game.

Same thing applies to NFL, NHL & MLB broadcasts.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts