FSS question

trido

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 17, 2004
Southern indiana
I am hooking my DP 44 switch today and see on switch it wants FSS sat on port 4?

Is my FSS SAT the 105 for my locals and I have a super dish 105 which LNB is it?
The one by itself?

thanks

Trido

haven't used dp44 in awhile, but yeah, pretty sure 105 is fss. Should be a book in the switch box that tell's you exactly.

joshschuler said:
haven't used dp44 in awhile, but yeah, pretty sure 105 is fss. Should be a book in the switch box that tell's you exactly.
no book doesnt say only it wants fss sat into port 4.

Let me ask this way with a super dish 105 which coax is 105 or should ask which lnb when i look at dish is 105?

i first thought dp 44 did care what sat is into what port but says on switch itself FSS to port 4.

thanks

Trido

ats7627 said:
105 and 121 are both FSS.
which LNB on the SUPER DISH 105 is the 105 lnb?

thanks
trido

I am at work BUT what about this when I do a check switch thru 811 box and it shows 119,110,105 I think that shows what is hooked to what port??

MAYBE

trido

trido said:
I am hooking my DP 44 switch today and see on switch it wants FSS sat on port 4?

Is my FSS SAT the 105 for my locals and I have a super dish 105 which LNB is it?
The one by itself?

thanks

Trido
Yes it's the single LNB off the side. FSS satellites are 105 and 121.

are you sure??

FSS needs to be aimed at the focal point so it might be the one in the end aimed at the dish focal point

for 105 I could see
105 on end
110 in middle
119 hanging off on the side

Check the LNB for markings for KU band

Or how about... wouldn't it (105) just be the leftmost one if you're facing north looking at the dish? And for the 121 SuperDish, 121 would be the rightmost LNB.

very true

I never seen a SD up close, so I can't comment, but I know the 121 SD has a "pencil" LNB for 119 (just like the old DirecPC ones did)

The LNB "eye" for 105 seems to be smaller looking than the Dish ones :)

Iceberg said:
are you sure??

FSS needs to be aimed at the focal point so it might be the one in the end aimed at the dish focal point

for 105 I could see
105 on end
110 in middle
119 hanging off on the side

Check the LNB for markings for KU band
darn this is a mess well dish was installed on room in a postion I cant see writing on lnb.

Hope maybe the DP 44 wont care

Say what about that idea doing a check switch with the 811 doesnt that show port order?

trido

Iceberg said:
yes it will...hopefully

I know mine (Legacy does)
port 1 is 110 & 119
port 2 is 148
\Iceberg I think I solved it maybe I go home to DP 34 I unhook what I think to be 105 sat port

I run inside to check switch on 811 then iwill screen NOT showing 105 and only 110,119

then I know which coax is to what SAY.

Hope that makes some sense.

trido

Oh BTW dish emailed me minutes agao saying they now have the add 61.5 dish and ALL hardware needed for the 100 dollars.

I sure thought Charlie at the retail thing said no

just hook it up! older legacy receivers receivers cannot see certain locations off of certain receiver outputs from the switch, and some are not compatible with the Super Dish at all. You have an 811, just hook them up and run a switch test. The one on my display floor has the FSS 121 on sat input 2 never any trouble. This should not be an issue for you

Iceberg is correct. The FSS lnb on a SuperDish is at the end of the arm or the focal point of the dish. With a 105 SuperDish, (when viewed from the back of the dish and counting right to left is as follows), 105-110-119

Just follow the orbital slots through their reflection off the dish and you will easily figure out which is which...

The switch marks FSS on it, because some of the older legacy recievers can only see 105/121 when it's hooked into port 4.
DP recievers don't care, so you can hook satellites into any port, regardless if DBS or FSS.

The DPP-44 manual actually states this, and lists which recievers need 105/121 in port 4.

jergenf said:
Yes it's the single LNB off the side. FSS satellites are 105 and 121.

The single LNB off to the side is a Dish Pro Dual (DBS) LNB. - for 119 or 110 depending on the Dish. The FSS LNB is part of a siamese-twin set-up that has 1-DBS and 1-FSS LNB. There are stickers on the back of the siamese-twins that tell you which one is the FSS LNB and which is DBS, but I like the idea of just dropping the cables off the existing switch to determine what's what. I'm always dropping the screws in the yard when I take things apart outside.

The comment about the the Dish-Pro receivers not caring a where FSS satellite is connected is correct, but the DPP44 book says that some of the older receivers can't see FSS sats at all, and can only see three sats anyway - so the FSS is recommended to be on port 4. That way any older receivers can get 119/110/61.5 or 119/110/148

You probably will want to keep 119 on port 1 (or 110). I don't know which sat have updates for the receivers, but it's got to be 119 at least. That is important because if your receivers or ones you might add don't have the latest software from dishnetwork, they might not recognize the switch. I'm guessing that whatevers on port 1 will be recognized by default so that the receiver can get updated to recognize the switch. The superdish install manual talks about this, but it doesn't explain much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)