FTA and Dish System

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jgoecken

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
I was wondering if this forum could help me out with a few questions. I have a Dish Network dish and service. It's the DVR model. I was wondering what the easiest way is to get some FTA channels also. I'm a big horse racing fan and enjoy TVG and HRTV channels on DishNet but I also noticed that there is a NYOTB off track channel on the KU band that I would like to get.

Do I have to mount another dish? Can I just put another LNB on my existing Dish Network dish and have it run to my FTA receiver? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

moved to FTA area

welcome :wave

to get most of the KU band stuff you would need a 2nd dish. Normally you need a 30" dish or larger and a KU band LNB (along with a FTA receiver)

basic system runs a couple hundred bucks for the equipment (dish, receiver, LNB). Sadoun has a good basic system that would work for that.

Thanks

Holy crap you guys are fast on the response. I noticed the FTA area after I posted, sorry bout that. Thanks for the info. That's just what I needed.

New York OTB channels

Quick question. Has anyone seen the New York Off track betting channels? I don't understand the programming because I'm a newbie to FTA but I was wondering if it is just one channel or is it 4 different channels showing different races. I looked at the Lyngsat site and it said there were like 4 feeds next to the New York OTB channel but I'm not sure what it means by feeds. Here's some info I copied from Lyngsat but I don't really understand it. Thanks.

12182 H
tp 16U NYN - New York Network DVB 23000-3/4 ?-21
Conus Rick

(NYN feeds)

110 111

NYN - New York Network 120 121 E

(NYN feeds)

130 131

(OTB feeds)

140 141

(OTB feeds)

150 151

(OTB feeds)

160 161

OTB - Off Track Betting 170 171 E

OTB - Off Track Betting 180 181 E

OTB - Off Track Betting 190 191 E

Yep. Seen them lots of times.

It is different channels with different tracks. I know there is lots of harness racing on there.

There are 9 channels on that mux (mux is a group of channels)
3 are New York Net
3 are 24/7 channels of OTB (the last 3...they're not 24/7..when there is no racing its just a slate)
3 (middle ones) are feeds....like overflow channels. Sometimes they have the same thing as the "main" channels and sometimes its just a slate. If its a big day of racing (like a weekend in the summer when the northern tracks start) then these will be used.

The best part…once you buy the equipment the programming is FREEEEEEEEEEEEE

(please note stuff comes and goes but OTB has been there for 3 years now)

I noticed Sadoun has a package for $180 (S-1). That would work just fine

Awesome, then I'm definitely going to order a FTA system. I guess theoretically I could order a FTA system with dual receivers and watch two different tracks at the same time. Thanks for the info!

jgoecken said:
Awesome, then I'm definitely going to order a FTA system. I guess theoretically I could order a FTA system with dual receivers and watch two different tracks at the same time. Thanks for the info!

Yes, and since they are the same polarity you can get by with looping out from one receiver to the next.

When you say loop from one receiver to another does that mean you still need a dual LNB? Or is only one LNB needed?

yes you could use the loop out option but the 2nd recever would only get the same polaroty as the main.

But since they both would be on OTB its irrelevant :)

Does looping work like "daisy chaining" pc video game controllers? Would it be possible then to loop 4 receivers off of one LNB so you could view 4 different tracks at one time? If that's possible I would have to serve pizza, beer and racing forms! ha ha.

jgoecken said:
Does looping work like "daisy chaining" pc video game controllers? Would it be possible then to loop 4 receivers off of one LNB so you could view 4 different tracks at one time? If that's possible I would have to serve pizza, beer and racing forms! ha ha.

Or get a splitter that blocks power to all the ports except one . I have a coupple of 1 x 2 . Have seen 1 x 4 .

But for only 2 receivers , you could use a dual linear polorized LNBF & run 2 coaxes .

Wyr

Since you're looping one receiver to the next do you have to use the same brand, model of receiver or could different receiver models be used? thanks.

nope. They can be any brand.

I have a Toshiba TRX1420 (analog recever) looping out from a Coolsat 5000
USe to have a Toshiba TRX1520 looping out from a Pansat 1500 :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts