FTA and DTV on same line

Status
Please reply by conversation.

blackpony987

Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
Orange County, California
hello

i have a 3x4 multiswitch connecting a dual LNBF to it for my FTA and a home made rod for an antenna. i have 3 receivers connected to it that are all ready to receive OVA DTV and FTA signals. i run just 1 coax cable and split it near the receiver to each input of it. signal is ok but im waiting a an inline booster in the mail to make it better. i purchased a new DTV amplified antenna to increase the number of channels i receive. the problem i came across is that the antenna's amplified plugs in near the receiver and it sends a signal to the antenna to power its amplifier. i don't know what the strength of this electric signal is. this power unit also sends a signal to the motor that rotates the antenna. but this can only be activated with a switch. my question is, since i have one coax line that runs. will the signal from the power box of the antenna have any effects on the LNB of the FTA? will it make it weaker/ burn in? i would appreciate your suggestions or feedback. i would prefer not to add additional cables just for the antenna.

thank you

You would be very surprised at the increase in DTV terrestrial reception signal quality if the signals did not pass through the 3x4 and diplexers. Even with a quality inline amplifier, I would lose 12 of 44 channels by using 2 diplexers. The weaker DTV channels are lost below the noise threshold. You also would have better signal quality on the FTA if you ran direct cables without the diplexers.

To answer your question: The DTV amplifier's power inserter would need to placed between the 3x4 multi-switch and the DTV terrestrial antenna. Typically, the power inserter will not exceed 18vdc, but you do not want this voltage placed in a position to feed the LNBF as it would be permanently locked in horizontal polarity with the 18vdc. Also be careful as I have observed ac power inserters.....

The FTA power and DiSEqC commands should pass through the diplexer and multi-switch to reach the motor and the LNBF, but the ANT port on the Multi-switch is typically blocked from passing power.

Last edited:
of course!! i didn't realize i could bypass the 3x4. thank you!!. ill try it tomorrow. in regards to the weak signal i am going to install an 2 inline amps with
5~2150MHz for each of the lnb's output to the multi-switch. hopefully that will strengthen my signal a bit after all the diplexing im doing. i read somewhere that since the lnbf is receiving constant voltage from the receiver, then the amp will be powered and will increase my signal. (i am running 3 receivers with 100+ ft cable on each one and getting decent signal)

If the STBs are feed by only 100' of coax and a multi-switch, it is likely that the FTA inline amplifiers will actually degrade the Signal Quality reading.

Please post your test results comparing the Signal Quality on a few FTA channel with and without the inline amplifiers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts