FTA and free Dish, motorized antenna! rookie needs HELP

Status
Please reply by conversation.

aldenes

Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
Hello All,

It's great to find such a good resource on the web.
I am new to digital satellite, my last system I owned 15 yrs ago was analog and at that time I became proficient with the install and programming.

I just recently bought a receiver from overseas (Germany) http://www.palcom.de/ - model DSL-220 - site is in German and a 0.3 db LNB for free to air. I also ordered a 30' dish with a second LNB compatible for Direct TV and a duplexer which should be arriving in the mail in a few days. As well as a true horizon to horizon motor.

My questions are relative to the install. First of all installing 2 LNB's in a dish seems a little strange to me. Bot I was told that the second Direct TV LNB could be placed off-center using some custom made hardware and due to the high intensity of the signal will be able to receive all free channels of Direct TV. Are there any free channels I wonder, in other words is it worth installing the second Direct TV LNB in my dish?

I also saw online different receivers . I wouldn't mind buying another receiver. Sellers advertise that is FULLY OPEN to Direct TV paid and unpaid channels, first dealer of Blackbird would even give you unocking codes when they change. QUESTION: How legal is this and do I need it or not? It doesn't seem very legal to me...

On the installation part, I would like to do it myself and thus learn more about the system but would be willing to spend some $$$ and hire some help if available. Mainly because it will not be an easy install as it need to go on the roof due to clearance from trees. I live in Santa Clarita, 30 miles north of Los Angeles. If any of you know any installers kindly please provide me the info.

Thank you and regards to all of you for contributing to this forum and answering my question.

Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome! A lot of your answers can be found by reading the MPEG-2/FTA forum. I'll address a couple of obvious ones here.

I think you are talking about Dish Network not DirecTV. There are no free channels on DirecTV that can be received with an MPEG-2 receiver. DirecTV uses the DSS encoding scheme which is only recognized by their receivers. There are a few free channels on Dish Network and Expressvu though. See the thread on "what can I get with an 18" dish". To use the two LNB's together you will need a switch.

The other activity you described is highly illegal, not condoned here, and can get you banned if you talk about it.

I built an FTA system myself with a Microyal MRX-1000 and an old PrimeStar dish I found lying around. I just got a motor for it and am quite pleased.

aldenes said:
I also saw online different receivers . I wouldn't mind buying another receiver. Sellers advertise that is FULLY OPEN to Direct TV paid and unpaid channels, first dealer of Blackbird would even give you unocking codes when they change. QUESTION: How legal is this and do I need it or not? It doesn't seem very legal to me...

I moved this to the FTA area

The above is highly ILLEGAL and not condoned here at satelliteguys :)

I removed the websites you posted. Those are not free to air dealers...they are free to steal dealers. Big difference

Correction

Thanks for your reply. Correct, I meant Dish Network and not Direct TV.
I understand that it is illegal and thanks for clarifying it. I really didn't want to buy a hacked receiver and perform any illegal activities.

Therefore I will mount only one LNB and stick to the free-to-air channels.
Alex

you can use a DirecTV or Dish LNB to get the audio on Dish & ExpressVu

That is unencrypted. So is NASA, Angel One and Gol TV :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)