FTA bitrate vs Dish or DTV?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
VBR is for muxed channels so that it can pull bits from the other channels that don't need them and move bits back & forth to which stream needs it the most. So the VBR is constantly moving the bits back and forth between the streams.

The strange thing is that the place I used to see this most often was on the old 32362 SR 4.2.0 CBS HD transponders that only had one video channel. I used to delay football games (can't do that now that they are 4.2.2) about 25 seconds to sync with alternative audio, and I could barely keep up with storing the video into a computer buffer while the programming was running, but during commercial breaks or something, they would switch to a static slate and the bitrate would drop from close to 40 mbps down to just 2 or 3 mbps if I remember right, and I'd see my buffer go from almost full down to nearly empty.
I can't figure out why they'd use that on a mux with only one channel. All the un-needed bits went into the NULL stream. Now that they have 2 channels on the muxes, it might make sense, but not with the 4.2.0 transponders with one channel.

Actually, it may be related to the same question: whether a broadcaster pays for bandwidth actually used, or just for rented bandwidth "capacity" regardless of use, unless went over the imposed monthly limit?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)