FTA boxes have an advantage over Dish/Direct boxes :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
One main reason FTA boxes are better than Dish/Direct boxes

If you download the newest factory software and you don't like what it did...you can always revert back :D

I just downloaded the update factory flash for the 6000 and it seems like some channels have a st-utter (yes, a stutter). Havent checked all satellites but CCTV on G3 and a couple others have a stutter. Its real obvious when watching a channel with a scoll (like ONN)

Havent reverted back to the previous flash (thats tongiht job) but hopefully that fixes the issue.

Well... it's possible also, as you know, to revert back to the older s/w with some DISH's boxes.. BUT this would go beyond this forum's scope of discussion :)

I know Dish has reverted back when they really screwed up but you have to wait. FTA boxes you can do it yourself :)

On my Pansat 2500 which still has the original firmware (I think mid 2004), PAL formatted signals stutter on it. It's very slight but easily noticable. Perhaps they reintroduced a problem they had fixed once before in other updates. If ONN does this then likely it's a different issue.
For me a bigger issue is the way it cuts off the bottom and right edge of the picture when it converts PAL to NTSC (especially annoying when watching soccer) forcing me to use the DVB card on my PC.

mark
my 1500 never did that and the firmware for that was Feb 04 :)

The 6000 didnt do that until this new firmware. My original was Nov 23, 05. The new stuff is 1/6/06 and there is a 12/27/05 that I'll resort back to :)

Iceberg said:
mark
my 1500 never did that and the firmware for that was Feb 04 :)
The 6000 didnt do that until this new firmware. My original was Nov 23, 05. The new stuff is 1/6/06 and there is a 12/27/05 that I'll resort back to :)

Time for me to figure out how to update the firmware on my Pansat.:(

Iceberg said:
My original was Nov 23, 05. The new stuff is 1/6/06 and there is a 12/27/05 that I'll resort back to :)

At least it looks like they are doing frequent updates... Even if you get a bug or two, I'd rather that than abandonment. (IMO anyway)

mark_calgary said:
Time for me to figure out how to update the firmware on my Pansat.:(

mark
downloading is easy. www.pansatusa.com has all the instructions and the current stuff.

You might want to back up your channel list. Most of the Pansat loaders will let you do that.

edit--I just downloaded it there and the "current" is 7/13/05

edit II--you can upload your channel list in case the new software erases everything. When you open the loader, click on "channel data" and upload. Upload it so you can reload it when done.

You need a straight through cable (at least the 1500 did)

Last edited:
Iceberg said:
I know Dish has reverted back when they really screwed up but you have to wait. FTA boxes you can do it yourself :)
I was talking about doing it yourself as well (some DISH boxes) .. and NOT DISH reverting the s/w back.. as they occasionally do...

However that discussion (of doing it yourself on some of those boxes) - would be beyond this forum's scope of discussion(s) ....

That's all i ment... :)

I think if Dish reverts it back, what they actually do is slap a newer version number on an older version of the code. The receivers themselves will only download something "newer" than what they already have.

mark_calgary said:
On my Pansat 2500 which still has the original firmware (I think mid 2004), PAL formatted signals stutter on it. It's very slight but easily noticable.

Am I understanding you good? you have access to PAL channels on NTSC PANSAT ?
Or NTSC channels on PAL firmware Pansat?
I am asking because I thought that PAL signals are not available in NA?
Are they?:p

There recently was a Pal signal on IA-7! They do pop up now and then, mainly feeds from other countries. Hard to know whats NTSC and PAL as most/some receivers switch automatically!

Marcyjok said:
Am I understanding you good? you have access to PAL channels on NTSC PANSAT ?
Or NTSC channels on PAL firmware Pansat?
I am asking because I thought that PAL signals are not available in NA?
Are they?:p
PAL channels are converted to NTSC by the Pansat for my NTSC TV.
I find them on Panamsat 9 C-band. Likely you can find some on Intelsat 805 which I cannot see because of the roof of my neighbour's house..... Those are the only Atlantic satellites I have a chance of seeing from this far west (114.1W).

You can revert to software on E* boxes. Nothing to do with hacking but I had a friend with a dead legit 2700. We had power every where on the board. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. The only thing he could tell me was after the power outage and surges a day before it caused it to stop working. I brought to an electronic repair shop and we couldn't find anything burnt. So we built a cheap JTAG cable and dumped the flash from his good 2700 and put it on his bad 2700. Boom it powered up. I was shocked! But then the box number was wrong so the card wouldn't work, said wrong receiver. I then compared the good flash to the bad flash. I found the part that was corrupted and fixed the old flash by taking parts off the good flash. The box has been working ever since and it still subbed today.

...often mentioning the word JTAG .. is like pointing a cross at the vampire around some of these forums, hehe :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)