fta compatible lnb

Status
Please reply by conversation.

adleeman

Original poster
Feb 21, 2011
central florida
I got a pansat 250sm for 2 bucks(no remote). An original dish network antenna from the neighbor. and bought a tripod/original dish network dish/ and a dish network 3900 reciever and ?multi ?3? lnb antenna for 35 bucks. my question is are the original lnb's compatible with fta recievers? or the multiple one? seems like g19 has a lot of channels. waiting on a satfinder meter. the onscreen meter doesnt seem to responsive in finding satellites.
am a newbie. any help appreciated.

ps... on the on screen meter the power level seemed to be random depending on what satellite i picked. but some sats adjusting invoked a response. quality meter always read 0. do i need a quality reading to get reception?

THANX

Dish Network dishes and LNBFs won't work for anything other than the circular DBS signals the pay services use. FTA signals such as those on G19 are linear and weaker, requiring a larger dish and linear Ku-Band LNBF. The only channels a DN dish will receive are the very few on Dish Network that are unencrypted, such as Dish 101 and a couple of preview/banner channels (if they are still in the clear, Dish scrambled almost everything last year).

You do not need an external meter to find the satellites. In fact, the meter will not be as good as the internal meter in the receiver. You should take the receiver and a small TV out to the dish for an easier install. The receiver must be configured to work with the connected LNBF in order for the meter to work or a satellite to be found and channels viewed. You most likely will need a remote control to enter and adjust the menu settings.

For example, if you want to try out the receiver and view one of the promotion channels on a Dish Network using the 18" dish and circular LNBF, set the receiver to the 119 satellite and select LNBF type Standard with LO frequency of 11250 (assuming that the LNBF is not labelled DishPro). Set the Transponder Frequency to 12457, Polarity Vertical (to receive right polarity circular), and Symbol Rate 20000.

Use a dish aiming calculator such as GeoSatFinder - Satellite Finder Calculator - Satellite AV to assist with adjusting the approximate dish elevation and azimuth (compass reading). SLOWLY pan the dish 10 or 15 degrees either side of the compass heading while observing the Signal Quality reading. IF the Signal Quality reading doesn't show the satellite signal, increase or decrease the elevation by 1 degree and SLOWLY sweep the same area again. Repeat until the satellite is located and the Signal Quality is peaked.

Once the Satellite Signal Quality is peaked, perform a Transponder Scan or Blind Scan the satellite. As Tron indicates, you will only receive a few free channels, but this will assure you that the receiver is working until you can order of locate a proper dish. You will need a 90cm/36" dish with a linear type LNBF to receive FTA channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)