OTHER FTA Globally

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Worldsailer

Original poster
Apr 5, 2017
USA
Hello Everyone,

Sorry if this has been discussed before.

I own a boat I like to sail around with a good bit in my spare time, and have started wondering about getting it setup for TV and stumbled into FTA as a potential due to moving from country to country.

I was wondering on FTA receivers, do they work globally? Or do I have to have one for a different country as i'm moving around? Will a box that I buy in the US work in south pacific or in the Med?

I figure its faster to ask than confuse myself too much.

Thanks for any help.

Best regards,

James.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys!

FTA receivers will work anywhere in the world with a few caveats.

Use a compatible power supply (most receivers have 12VDC input jack), use a universal type KU band LNBF (LO 9750/10600) on the dish, set the receiver's video output resolution/scan rate to match the connected TV monitor, and purchase a receiver that supports a complete global list of satellites (or at minimum, a model that supports an external editor so easier to update).

Are you planning to use only dockside (with dish on shore) or while in-motion with stabilized dish system? If in-motion, what size vessel?

:welcome to SatelliteGuys James!!!
Brian gave some excellent advice. Looking forward to hearing more about your adventures and what size vessel.
FTA would be a great choice if you sail, as no need to own different receivers for different services.

Thanks Brian,

How would I tell if it has a complete global list? Or what are some boxes that have this already in place?

An in-motion stabilized dish system. When i'm on, I don't stay at docks to much other than to resupply. Its 64'.

While most FTA receivers work all over the world, they do not have the memory capacity for a complete list of all satellites/transponders around the globe. You would need to customize your list for the ocean you are sailing.

Most Linux or Android based STBs like Edision OS mini, Octagon SF-4008, Amiko A4, etc. support global satellite lists and adequate memory to keep active transponder lists and multiple favorites lists of channels in different regions.

64' is best suited for a KU-band system. C-band stabilized systems would be too large. When purchasing a stabilized antenna system, be sure that the unit supports linear polarity and if you wish to have the option of subscription packages which might require different polarizations or bands, swappable feedhorns is ideal.

Do not purchase the lower cost systems designed for nearshore Dish Network/Bell/DirecTV reception as these systems will not be compatible with international subscription or with FTA.

Carefully review the specs for stabilized systems. Likely some discussion on sailing forums. Be aware that some systems have significant power requirements for the stabilization and might not be appropriate for your banks and generation.

Reactions: KE4EST
Hahah, but I like pirates. Thinking of going to the Pacific Islands first.

Whats the difference between DVB-S and DVB-T? Is it just connection type or do they do different decoding based on different regions?

Never mind that was a stupid question. Found something to explain S vs T vs other letters.

So let me ask this instead. What would be y'alls recommendation for an Android Unit, twin tuners, and HD. That doesn't look like a radio shack special. With enough power that I don't have to worry about changing load outs for satellites. And easy to navigate the GUI for channel scanning/selection.

I figure point at other satellites would be different function to scanning for channels.

And one other question. If the receiver has a card slot does that mean I could get a subscription with anyone and plug it in? (IE Sky UK and/or DirecTV)

And one other question. If the receiver has a card slot does that mean I could get a subscription with anyone and plug it in? (IE Sky UK and/or DirecTV)
Not Directv or any other North American based subscription service.
You could though sub to some stuff in Europe, and other places.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts