wallyhts

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 24, 2008
FTA HD DVB-S2 Receiver

Hi, Found this DVB-S2 Receiver for under $150 shipped.

Anybody have any thoughts.

ird.gif

1.MAIN FEATURES
1). This receiver has all the functions of dreambox 800hd ; It is the cheapest HD receiver; Can be used around the world;
2). Linux Operative System ; Ali3602 CPU;Available tuners: DVB-S2;
3). Multilingual support on screen menu (OSD): English, French, Deutsch, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Danish, Greece, Portuguese, Finland, Holland, Turkish, Czech, selectable--and Language can be increased in the future
2.BASIC FEATURES
1) 300 MHz MIPS Processor - Linux Operating System
2) Fully compliant MPEG-4 H.264/AVC Main Profile Level 3 & High Profile Level 4.1;
3) Fully compliant MPEG-2 MP@HL & MP@ML;
4) Fully compliant MPEG-1 Layer I & II & III, Dolby Digital Audio(AC3);
5) SCPC & MCPC receivable from C/Ku band satellites;
6) multiple LNB-Switching control (supports DiSEqC1.0/1.1/unicable/1.2/1.3(USALS) supported)
7) NIT search supported;
8) Support MHEG-5;
9) Support HDMI 1.3;
10) Support PVR(store in USB disk);
11) Multimedia files playback(by USB);
12) Support Electronic Program Guide(EPG) for 7 days;
13) Teletext and subtitle out through OSD;
14) Support multi-lingual DVB subtitle and teletext;
15) Automatic and manual channel scan options;
16) automatic service scan
17) channel-change time < 1 second
18) OSD in many languages and skin-support
19) Multilingual support on screen menu (OSD): English, French, Deutsch, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Danish, Greece, Portuguese, Finland, Holland, Turkish, Czech, selectable;
20) LED Display
21) Multiple display mode: 1080i/720p/570p/576i/480p;
22) MPEG-2 / H.264 Hardware decoding
23) Videotext Decoder
24) Analog audio output: stereo(L+R);
25) Digital audio output: S/PDIF by coaxial and optical;
26) S/PDIF Interface for digital bit stream out (AC-3)
27) YCbCr available;
28) 2 x Scart (RGB, FBAS or S-Video)
29) Screen format:auto, 4:3, and 16:9;
30) Upgrade software through USB2.0 port;
31) Powerful program management function, parent lock;
32) CA 1x slot and CI 1xslot
33) 10/100Mbit Ethernet Interface
34) directly bouquet-lists

3.SPECIFICATIONS
DVB-S2
Input Frequency:950~2150MHz​
Loop Out Frequency:950~2150MHz​
Input Level:-65~-25dBm​
Input Impedance:75¦¸​
LNB Power: Auto/14v/18v/OFF, Imax = 500mA​
Video decoder
Video Compression MPEG-2 and MPEG-1 compatible, H.246​
Video Formats 4:3 / 16:9​
Letterbox for 4:3 TV-Device​
Audio decoder
Audio Compression MPEG-1 & MPEG-2 Layer I and II, MP3​
Audio Mode Dual (main/sub), Stereo​
Frequency: 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 16 kHz, 22.05 kHz, 24 kHz​
Output digital
Output Level 0,5 Vss on 75 Ohm​
Sampled Data Filtering 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz​
S/PDIF-Output optical, Toslink​
Video parameter
Input Level FBAS 1 Vss +/- 0.3 dB on 75 Ohm​
Teletext filter in conformity with ETS 300 472 Standard​
TV-Scart
Output: FBAS, RGB, S-Video​
Serielle Interface RS 232​
Typ RS232 bidirectional​
Bit rate 115,2 kBit/s max.​
Plug Connector SUB-D-9​
Function: Update of Firmware​
Ethernet
10/100 MBit compatible interface
Function: Update of Firmware​
USB
1 x USB 2.0 Host ,PVR​
LNB power and polarisation per tuner​
LNB Current 500mA max.; short-circuit-protected​
LNB Voltage vertical < 14V no load, > 11,5V at 400mA​
LNB Voltage horizontal < 20V no load, > 17,3V at 400mA​
Count of active satellite position​
DiSEqC 1.0/1.1/unicable/1.2 SAT POSITION / SAT OPTION​
DiSEqC - Rotor Control​
External PSU​
Input:110-240V AC / 50-60Hz / 0,6A​
Output: 12V = / 3,0A​
Physical specification
Ambient Temperature +15 ¡ãC...+35 ¡ãC​
Humidity < 80%​
Size (W x D x H): 300 mm x 220 mm x 56 mm​
Weight: 1,8 kg without HDD​
Power
AC input range:100-240VAC 50/60Hz​
PowerConsumption (Standby): Max. 10W (<1 W)​

Last edited:
I tried However sadoun said "Have mercy and please start your own thread about whichever other receiver you are talking about."

So I started this post.

I would hold on buying any receiver until you researched reviews of the model it was prototyped of if any, and reviews of the receiver performance in NA conditions. Testing products locally and verifying compliance before offering them for sale is part of being a dealer anyway, at least in my understanding. After that truly independent tester reviews are supposed to complement the picture.

This receiver has a SCART, which is primarily for the European market. Few questions, Is this a clone? Is this a grey market device and does it have a North American warranty?

I think it’s a clone of the dreambox 800hd however it has HDMI.

Warranty could be a problem since it would have to be shipped back to Asia.

Grey market not sure.

The box is only $90 bucks however shipping is like $60.

It is 5:58am Wednesday (CST) - Time in Shenzhen, China I will try and call the mfg later tonight and see what they have to say.

Ask the manufacturer (factory manager), who contracted them to make the box. If it was DVB World, then the chance is high they designed the receiver (either cloned or own design using Dreambox as a prototype). If another company (possibly Chinese firm - many prone to copy tested Korean models), or if its a product overrun (made more copies than original developer paid for), then DVB World simply reselling it for profit, and they don't really know how to program these chipsets that run this STB. Anyway, when a clone is copied, more expensive original components are often replaced with locally available cheaper analogs, and if original firmware still runs, it wouldn't usually be upgradeable later, since it costs a lot to improve it and might not be possible due to hardware limitations and lack of chipset programming info. Of course the receiver you posted is exact same receiver that we were talking about all week, but without any sticker at all - name it as you pleased, just pay cash. Possibly Solomend is the name DVB World ordered it with for his own company as a reseller. ;)

Last edited:
In China several manufacturers use the same case design that is usually outsourced from another supplier.

I have the same exact case receiver as the SatHawk PVR800 sent to me by another Chinese manufacturer about a year ago to demo and test. The outside is the same as the SatHawk PVR800, but the inside HW and SW are completely different.

If anyone is interested in buying this demo from me, just PM. It sold as is where is, no warranty expressed or implied.

The demo is suppose to work with DVB-S2 and DVB-S. No Blind Search and the menu is way different than the PVR800. If anyone wants it, I will sell it for $100 delivered.

Note: Front cover on CA slot is loose.

The box is only $90 bucks however shipping is like $60.
And if there is a problem, you have to pay for shipping and Western Union fees again.
I have experience with those kinds of things.
Buy local, the few extra bucks is worth it, especially for support.

Well maybe Brian would spring for a pallet of these guys and we would have another new toy to check out with stateside support.

If the developer was as commited in customer feedback and accessable as DVBWord has appeared to be for their productline, it could be an interesting venture.

Competition is good, especially for the pocketbook!:)

I think I can get a couple more STBs wedged in somewhere in the stack without retiring anything.

Zamar, now would be a good time to find out what the SOC is in the 'Hawk.
The one for this box is spec'd as an Ali3602, ya dang propellerhead.....lol

2). Linux Operative System ; Ali3602 CPU;Available tuners: DVB-S2;

And if there is a problem, you have to pay for shipping and Western Union fees again.
I have experience with those kinds of things.
Buy local, the few extra bucks is worth it, especially for support.

Shipping was free with mine, shipped from China on Friday, had it Tuesday, no Western Union fees unless you choose to pay that way. Just to clarify I would have bought from Sadoun had he announced he would carry them before I ordered. He needs to be supported.
Support for me will come from China in the forum of firmware upgrades:)

Linux Operative System ; Ali3602 CPU;Available tuners: DVB-S2;

our STB main IC solution is ALI , demodulator model is M3501 from Ali.

Melgagra

It seems you are missing too many details for a tech savvy guy. ALi (Acer Labs) CPU (Decoder) and Demodulator are different creatures, but both STB's seems to have ALi Video CPU ("main solution" ;)). Neither ALi no Nvidia 300M CPUs spec 4:2:2 support, but I guess it can be added in Linux STB, memory size and performance permitting if the Proc is also fast enough, which doesn't seems to be the case here. If I'm a propeller head, how would you classify yourself under the circumstances? :D

It well may be that the manufacturer offers a choice of key components with this unit, like Tuner - Demod - Video Proc and FW customization options as well. Its like the same coders team doing FW for Sonicview and Viewsat, they have some minor on-screen similarities (and that's the only thing a user would know about the FW), but can be easily ID'd as done by the same craw when dissected. It can also be that the same case is used for different boxes. Could you guys post closeup photos of this box without the hood when you get one? From its spec it sounds like exact same box without a faceplate label. No list of supported multimedia file formats playback from a USB drive either, so the working assumption is none is supported apart from TS. :)

Last edited:
Someone with a Kentucky accent calling someone in china with bad English is very interesting. (So we went with email)

Anyways got an email back.

Hi Dave ,
Of course, it will perform a blind scan. Regarding 4:2:2 ,I don't know what you mean ? please tell me clear about what you requirement .thanks

Can someone provide a good way to tell what 4:2:2 is to the mfr?

Looking at the Pics you posted, that "looks" to be the same unit as the Solomend PVR800 and or SatHawk PVR800. Having just received the SatHawk PVR800, it does Blind Scan DVB & DVB-S2, it does not do 4:2:2.

Someone with a Kentucky accent calling someone in china with bad English is very interesting. (So we went with email)

Anyways got an email back.

Hi Dave ,
Of course, it will perform a blind scan. Regarding 4:2:2 ,I don't know what you mean ? please tell me clear about what you requirement .thanks

As Lak7 has said, no 4:2:2 for now, Dvbworld has already said that here at Satelliteguys. I've sent him 4:2:2 stream files and he has had no luck in playing them.
I don't know who you were talking to in China but if you want to know something about the receiver talk to Dvbworld. They are the people who are doing the firmware development, already an update has been issued. Email the support people not sales at Dvbworld. Prepare to be patient, he's probably overloaded right now with requests:)
EDIT: Forgot to add, I think these boxes started out as the Solomend then became Sathawk in NA, and will probably have another name in the future, looking at the specs and faceplates, they are the same boxes.

You can refer him to Chroma Subsampling Wiki Article in Chinese. There are a few threads with definitions on the topic on this forum, like inside High & Low Symbol Rates Gambit or 4:2:0 VS 4:2:2 ones.

I guess, simple definition understandable by a factory man is:

4:2:2 is a method of encoding color images in a video encoding format. It should be listed in the STB's Video Decoder Chipset Specification if supported.

You can add optional details: "The two chroma components are sampled at half the sample rate of luma: the horizontal chroma resolution is halved. This reduces the bandwidth of a video signal by one-third with little to no visual difference."

zamar23,

Thanks

Aks him to attach component manufacturer specification pdfs for Tuner, Demodulator and Decoder chipsets, and also original designer contact for the STB, but these may all be tricky requests to answer. Basically, they would prefer you to buy without asking any questions to avoid being disappointed before you paid. Instead, some "smart" sellers would suggest: why don't you try (meaning buy) and find out...as if Specifications never existed in this world. No returns though. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)