Fta Hd Receiver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
mark_calgary said:
Clearly targeted at Europe where DVB-S2 is starting to be rolled out for HD.
I'm happy that most FTA HD feeds here in NA are still in QPSK.

are you sure about that?

just because it does dvb-s2

it also does mpeg2 and QPSK
plus at some point providers will start using that format.
yea i know europe now has about 10 receivers supporting MPEG4 for premiere etc.

zinwell has american support as it has offices in CA.

it will be interesting to see if VIEWSAT comes out first with their HD receiver 10000HDpvr suppose to come out in may of this year.

Woah! That looks very interesting. If I could get one for about the price of the Pansat 6000, I'd be sold!

For now, I'm using the money I would have spent on a Pansat 6000 to build a HD capable rackmount PC into which I will put an ATSC tuner card (ATI HDTV Wonder) and two DVB cards (for now, I'm looking at Nexus-S cards unless someone comes out with MPEG-4 support very soon)...

Here's hoping that Viewsats can be upgraded...

To MPEG-4, DVB-S2, etc...

And the Pansats...

They have decent processors...is the RAM slot isn't hardwired who's to say the SDRAM DIMM can't be replaced with a 32, 64, or 128.

Crossing fingers...

Else I'll have to butter up the wife...

:D

mrrabbit said:
To MPEG-4, DVB-S2, etc...
And the Pansats...
They have decent processors...is the RAM slot isn't hardwired who's to say the SDRAM DIMM can't be replaced with a 32, 64, or 128.
Crossing fingers...
Else I'll have to butter up the wife...
:D

no they can't be upgrated ,totally different processor doesn't support MPEG4

as i said earlier in MAY of this year VIEWSAT is supposed to roll out with their receiver.

MPEG-2, MPEG-4 is created by software my friend...sent and received by hardware my friend...and processed on the receiving end by software my friend.

If the software binary was compiled to support the architectural assembly/machine language of the CPU question - then assuming all else is well - doth will it execute!!!

Binaries for Sun Microsystem 32/64 traditional server platforms are "sun4u".

Binaries for the PC world typically are x86 and x86-64.

For the Macintosh/IBM PowerPC/Motorola world it's PPC or Mach or both.

etc...etc...

In other words, if the Viewsats RAM and Flash/NVRAM were not hard-wired/soldered - i.e., removal and replaceable with larger capacity units AND Viewsat CHOSE to compile HDTV / MPEG-4 / DVB-S2 application binaries for the existing CPU platform currently in the Viewsat - then a hardware/software upgrade is possible.

Problem is, in the business of making money - most if not all companies choose to get overly greedy and screw the customer by NOT doing so and force them into another ARTIFICIALLY CREATED upgrade path just to start the production - sales - profit margin cycle all over again.

The risk of course is that your customers call you out on the carpet for it and go with someone who is a little less brazen about it - hence it backfires.

Apple is guilty of this hardware and OS wise...

Microsoft is guilty of this applications wise...

The list is quite long...

One reason the TCP/IP protocol underlying the Internet has done so well is that it doesn't specify a hardware platform. All it asks PHYSICAL layer wise in general is:

"Can our IP datagram packet fit within your PHYSICAL layer frame?"

Note how in the last 6 months alone the phone companies and nationwide ISPs are trying to come up with creative non-hardware ways to control large portions of - if not all of the current Interent.

=:cool:

Tron said:
Woah! That looks very interesting. If I could get one for about the price of the Pansat 6000, I'd be sold!
For now, I'm using the money I would have spent on a Pansat 6000 to build a HD capable rackmount PC into which I will put an ATSC tuner card (ATI HDTV Wonder) and two DVB cards (for now, I'm looking at Nexus-S cards unless someone comes out with MPEG-4 support very soon)...

BTW... I highly recommend the MyHD-130 over the ATI HDTV card.

Thanks Digiblur, I'll look that one up. This is the first I've heard of it. I know that Hauppauge puts out an ATSC tuner card (do they still?), and some of the new ones even do QAM for digital cable. I got the ATI due to its lack of broadcast flag-related hardware.

I emailed the Walnut, CALIF location since it's about a good 50 miles away from my office. Awaiting their reply. :D

Tron said:

this one is the first one to come out with MPEG4

http://www.c-pax.de/dateien/kncone/kncone.htm

you need to translate it from german.

Tron said:
Thanks Digiblur, I'll look that one up. This is the first I've heard of it. I know that Hauppauge puts out an ATSC tuner card (do they still?), and some of the new ones even do QAM for digital cable. I got the ATI due to its lack of broadcast flag-related hardware.

I've had mine for almost a year and wouldn't go back. It records OTA and QAM signals with two coax F connectors, component out, SPDIF out, SVideo IN, Composite IN, DVDPlayback, and DVI out w/daughtercard. It's nice to setup weekly timers for programs, let them record, and then go back with HDTV2MPEG and have it pull the commercials out for you with just a few mouse clicks. The mpeg2 encoders/decoders are hardware based so it doesn't need a hefty CPU to handle it.

http://www.digitalconnection.com/Products/Video/mdp130.asp

If you want to know more about the card let me know...we can start another thread in another appropiate forum.

pro96 said:
I emailed the Walnut, CALIF location since it's about a good 50 miles away from my office. Awaiting their reply. :D
Call 'em ;). I did but the guy that answered had a pretty thick accent and asked me to call back after 2. I got busy and wasn't able to call 'em back.

It looks like this box might be customizable to add an off-air tuner too, unless I just read the specs wrong.

Shawn

digiblur said:
I've had mine for almost a year and wouldn't go back. It records OTA and QAM signals with two coax F connectors, component out, SPDIF out, SVideo IN, Composite IN, DVDPlayback, and DVI out w/daughtercard. It's nice to setup weekly timers for programs, let them record, and then go back with HDTV2MPEG and have it pull the commercials out for you with just a few mouse clicks. The mpeg2 encoders/decoders are hardware based so it doesn't need a hefty CPU to handle it.

http://www.digitalconnection.com/Products/Video/mdp130.asp

If you want to know more about the card let me know...we can start another thread in another appropiate forum.
Thanks Digiblur, might want to start a thread in the OTA HD forum.

Looking at the MyHD, it looks like a great product. The only problem I have with it is the fact that it will use up a PCI slot for the daughterboard. I already have an ATI X1600XT with dual DVI outputs and hardware-assisted MPEG2, 4, DivX, and H.264. I wonder if, with that video card, I could get by without the DVI daughterboard...

Back OT, though, I think a well-bulit HTPC can be a great alternative to the set top DVRs out there.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)