Fta in HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mk279

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 30, 2005
Is there a fta receiver that shows decodes HD if you are fortunate enough to find a HD feed ????

There is 1 HD fta receiver that I know of, but it gets very little. Pretty much only PBS HD for sure and other random stuff at times.

The problem is the receiver does not decode 4:2:2 or 8PSK which a lot of HD is.

So you'd get a little bit more HD with a PC card that can do 4:2:2

Another problem is most the HD backhauls for sports are on C-band, so you'll need a BUD.

Finally there aren't any cheap consumer fta devices that decode 8psk, so anything in that you won't get (like NBC-HD) or anything dish network has fta in testing..

The QUALI-TV QS 1080IR High Definition Satellite Receiver. And it does 4:2:2 and QPSK. But, it's not cheap. I paid 700 for mine. It won't do a blind scan either. That's its worst flaw, there are other flaws. I'm not complaining. I use it every day. Now, I couldn't imagine not having it.

Al

On the yahoo backhaul pages, I've seen a lot of sport feeds listed as

HD 4:2:0 AC3

I know we are out of luck with AC3 audio. My question is, for these HD 4:2:0 feeds, can I receive them with my legacy 4:2:0 receivers? I have a DMT1050 and a Globecast.

I don't think so, at least not with that receiver. You would need something to decode either QSPK and/or 8SPK. At least I think. I could be wrong.

Al

rangers00 said:
I know we are out of luck with AC3 audio. My question is, for these HD 4:2:0 feeds, can I receive them with my legacy 4:2:0 receivers? I have a DMT1050 and a Globecast.

no you will not be able to decode them. When I scan these in, it hoses up my Pansat and I have to do the power switch reset

voomvoom said:
The QUALI-TV QS 1080IR High Definition Satellite Receiver. And it does 4:2:2 and QPSK. But, it's not cheap. I paid 700 for mine. It won't do a blind scan either. That's its worst flaw, there are other flaws. I'm not complaining. I use it every day. Now, I couldn't imagine not having it.

Al

When you say it won't do a blind scan , do you mean you have to manually enter transponder values and then scan ??? Thanks, MK

Yes...

EDIT: Also note, some were set in at the factory. But it has only a few American sats even listed. You have to use other sats or one of the 4 empty slots.

Al

Also, the type of scans are:
NIT = the particular transponder frequency you have set.
Single TP = all frequency's on the particular transponder.
Single Sat = all frequency's on the particular satellite.
AUTO = all frequency's on the diseqc switch (up to 4) you have turned on for the particular satellites. You can scan 4 satellites at one time. Provided you have frequency's set to do a scan.

Al

voomvoom said:
Also, the type of scans are:
NIT = the particular transponder frequency you have set.
Single TP = all frequency's on the particular transponder.
Single Sat = all frequency's on the particular satellite.
AUTO = all frequency's on the diseqc switch (up to 4) you have turned on for the particular satellites. You can scan 4 satellites at one time. Provided you have frequency's set to do a scan.

Al

Thanks for the info .................... I've been doing internet searchs the last couple of days to get some pricing and shipping info. Every search result comes up from Europe. Shipping could be expensive.

Could I reverse the original question for just a second to ask if HD feeds are backwards compatable with "standard" FTA receivers? What I mean is, as more and more feeds become HD will my receiver be able to decode less and less?

Forgive me for diverging from the original question.

Thanks.

123tim said:
Could I reverse the original question for just a second to ask if HD feeds are backwards compatable with "standard" FTA receivers? What I mean is, as more and more feeds become HD will my receiver be able to decode less and less?
yes

but remember that most HD is on C-band

Iceberg,
Sorry, sometimes I'm sort of dense. Is that answer yes, HD feeds are backwards compatable, or yes, Standard FTA receivers will be able to decode less and less?

I guess I sort of asked a double ended question.

Probably will never have C band even though I'd really like to get the Outdoor Channel. And I'd really like to have a BUD.

Thanks!

Are you asking, will hd fta receivers, still get SD, the answer to that should be a obvious yes ;)

I hope I'm not dragging this thread down....No, what I was asking is can a standard FTA receiver decode a High Definition signal. Sort of like listening to a stereo broadcast on a mono radio.

Sorry for the confusion. I'm not very High Def. literate.
Thanks

Sometimes it will pick up the audio, but no it cannot decode the video

Thanks BFG,

I guess that's bad news for anyone not wanting to upgrade for a long, long time?

I guess that I should have said "forward compatible" instead of "backward compatible". When I word it like that it sort of answers my question instantly.
Never see anything designed for future advancements. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)