FTA install questions/request for recommendations

Status
Please reply by conversation.

WLR

Original poster
Feb 7, 2005
(sorry this is so lengthy)

Well, after reading about things, and researching: I've decided to give this FTA thing a go. I'm a little limited w/the apartment balcony, but I can see the sats I really want to see (luckily on the correct side, plus second floor)

Plus combined with a recent influx of a good amount of cash, I can now spend it on something I want. Heh.

I have no prior C-band/KU-band equipment to incorporate: I currently have a DirecTV phase III dish.

I'm looking at the following.

* KU-band only system, 80 or so cm dish (31")
* Motorized (another thing to put in the Pronto RC): a quiet motor is preferred.
* USALS compatibility.
* mainly to receive sports backhauls, but other FTA stuff. (SBS6, AMC9, etc)
* non-permanent mount, narrow balcony. I will probably have to move the DirecTV dish for better line-of-sight; I need to at least have a taller pole to mount the larger dish, to get over the balcony railing, etc.

Since I go to Columbus a fair amount of the time, I'll probably go by Sadoun to take a look around this weekend. I'll do the install myself, get a friend to lower the DirecTV dish if I need to.

Questions:

Equipment? Looking at some of the recommendations here for reference, but I'm leaning towards the following (still open to suggestions, of course)

DVB Receiver: PANSat Lifetime Ultra
Dish: no preference
LNB: no preference
Motor: Stab HH90 motor

Since my probable true south is Nimiq2, but according to Lyngsat I can't pick up anything on this w/o a circular polarity LNBF, will this cause problems with my installation? Should I use another sat instead?

Sometimes I see references to analog-KU-band signals: will a DVB receiver pick these up, or will I need to find an analog receiver to pick these up using loop through output on the DVB box? I'm interested in picking up sports backhauls like on SBS 6, AMC 9, etc.

If I come up with some more questions, I'll be sure to write them down. Any information would be most appreciated.

WLR

Welcome to Satelliteguys.US!

I think you mean the Fortec Lifetime Ultra 2005 receiver, very nice!
This is a DVB receiver so yes you will need an analog receiver if you want to pick up the few analog feeds up there, I would stick to DVB for a while before adding analog, it can be added in seconds anytime (loop through)
I would use AMC-5 as your "close to true south" satellite, its very easy to do using the USALS feature. I would get as big a dish as you can afford!
The problem with balconies is the overhang from above make sure you have line of sight to the highest satellite(true south) from the top and bottom of the dish. I am sure the other guys will have some ideas for you also!
Have Fun!

Thanks for the welcome PSB.

Luckily, I'm on the second floor of a two floor building, and higher up than the building next to me, so the angles work well. The place where I may move to has plenty of room, so this'll be a good test run.

Not much else to talk about yet: taking measurements so I can make sure the non-permanent mount will fit appropriately. The good stuff will start with my purchasing excursion this weekend. Heh.

WLR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)