FTA internet access?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mdovell

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
I was just curious if there's any companies that might have like a free one. I remember back in the day they'd be some for free on dialup (free due to banner ads taking 1/4 of the screen) I know of the older directway and I think there's one in europe...

What is the PSSI's Skip service on SBS6? Any details on what this is?

Maybe someday there will be free internet access that is ad-supported from the satellite. The consumer could purchase the hardware which would not be that cheap but the savings from having to pay for the monthly internet bill would make it worthwhile in the long-run.

Without special equipment on your dish, your connection is receive only. You'd have to have dial up to send your requests out to the internet, then receive them on the dish.

WildBlue has the cheapest plans I've seen for two way data from a dish.
http://www.wildblue.com

SkIP doesn't look cheap! They talk about intergration with truck equipment...
http://www.pssiglobal.com/ip.htm

Until more satellites are up there with "spot beam" technology, satellite internet is going to have growing pains. Even then, there is considerable delay with a two way setup.

There are a few companies that offer the service but you will have to pay a monthly fee (around $29+). I haven't seen anything offered FREE. However, most of these services have no commitment requirement.

Do a search on Google as follows: Broadband Satellite "Reasonable Use Policy"

BTW, the Twinhan 102G PCI card or the USB StarBOX with an 31"+ Dish and Standard LNBF can be used for this service

Stargazer said:

Maybe someday there will be free internet access that is ad-supported from the satellite. The consumer could purchase the hardware which would not be that cheap but the savings from having to pay for the monthly internet bill would make it worthwhile in the long-run.
Here ya go:
http://www.pssiglobal.com/ip.htm

Neal

I understand that the frequency range needs to be maybe modulated and IP address resolved across the internet, but maybe the new generation of FTA satellite receivers, incorporate functions such as modulation, DHCP, NAT translation, routing, etc...Otherwise, why would all all these FTA satellite receivers have Ethernet port ?

I understand that the frequency range needs to be maybe modulated and IP address resolved across the internet, but maybe the new generation of FTA satellite receivers, incorporate functions such as modulation, DHCP, NAT translation, routing, etc...Otherwise, why would all all these FTA satellite receivers have Ethernet port ?
You are not going to get free internet via Satellite, like you are thinking.
Some ad you found is a lie.
Jynxboxes are designed for hacking Satellite TV I would stay far away and not mess with them unless you like spending time in jail.

Reactions: armadillo_115
I saw a tv commercial for a high speed internet provider the other day.(I forget which one). They were advertising that 'Every one has a RIGHT to high speed internet'.

A 'RIGHT' ???? WTF ???

I wouldn't even call that Equal Opportunity since a private enterprise has to provide the service.

The concept of Rights sure have changed since I was in high school.Used to be Life,Liberty,and the Pursuit of Happiness...and even those 3 had limits.You could pursue Happiness, no guarantee you would 'catch' it.lol.

God,I'm getting out of touch. :confused:

<rant ended,back to my padded cell>

I saw a tv commercial for a high speed internet provider the other day.(I forget which one). They were advertising that 'Every one has a RIGHT to high speed internet'.

A 'RIGHT' ???? WTF ???

I wouldn't even call that Equal Opportunity since a private enterprise has to provide the service.

The concept of Rights sure have changed since I was in high school.Used to be Life,Liberty,and the Pursuit of Happiness...and even those 3 had limits.You could pursue Happiness, no guarantee you would 'catch' it.lol.

God,I'm getting out of touch. :confused:

<rant ended,back to my padded cell>

I've seen that same commercial and had the same thoughts! Pretty sure it's Netzero and even though they claimed it was a right, they're not giving it away for free. :biggrin

Reactions: Jelena
The technology is there, just no one is giving away free internet via Satellite. ;)

Reactions: Titanium
The technology is there, just no one is giving away free internet via Satellite. ;)
I made a diagram yesterday. Very easy to install. The equipment will cost 2,500.00 or less, depending on provider. VSAT needed, with iDirect Router (Modem). Inspection of certified services is required by the law, only one entrance plate in building - required, mount needs to be inspected, outdoor equipment grounded properly. That is all. The VSAT antenna needs to point to satellite feed that is Galaxy 28 or Telstar 11 N, or other. Now this is where the problem arises. They privatized Intelsat a while ago. It is not free to everyone to use, like it use to be. Now ISP have to pay them the same rate for broadband. But the Ombudsman for FCC is still alive. Nobody is holding you to gather and politely ask to donate some of the junked old satellite for the people whose tax payers dollar they use to fund the space satellite project at the very begging.
Lets talk a real talk

Attachments

• VSATDiag.PDF
    210.8 KB · Views: 320
I've seen that same commercial and had the same thoughts! Pretty sure it's Netzero and even though they claimed it was a right, they're not giving it away for free. :biggrin
I got the following email from FCC if you want to file a complaint or suggestion regarding free broadband satellite. they are open for suggestions. I do not see why Intelsat could not agree to donate an old satellite that is nearing the end of use - to be free to use by everyone who complies with the installation guidelines. They will probably need to bring additional regulations. Anyway I am forwarding you the message:

"You may file your complaint on line, using the FCC’s Consumer Help Center:
https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov
OR
You may contact the FCC’s Consumer Center at the following toll free number:
888-225-5322"

Who would donate the Internet feed, the uplink facility, the engineers, pay the station licensing, legal filings? Not just about parking an unused satellite in orbit and openly transfer 2way data. :)

Not saying that this isn't a wonderful idea, but I don't believe that this many resources could be donated, coordinated and managed. Nice to dream about Nirvana...

There's an old saying I've heard most of my adult life that says, "There's no such thing as a free lunch!" Meaning that if you don't pay, someone else does. Everything in life that's worth anything usually requires that time and effort be expended by someone to make it happen.

Reactions: armadillo_115
That's old-fashioned thinking Lone....you're as out of touch as I am.lol

Oh crap....the white suits are coming to lock me up again. :facepalm

Net zero and Kmart tried that.

Too many people found a way to get around the ads and it failed.

Besides today people use way too much data which there would need to be caps or people would ruins it for everyone.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts