FTA motor Drive for BIG Dish?????

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

norman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 22, 2005
Anybody got any ideas on how to use a motor control to operate the motor on a big, 7', dish using the Smaller FTA Receivers? I have found a Quad Feedhorn. 2 cband H/V, 2 Ku H/V. Now I am wanting to have some type of motor control for the BIG dish.
Norman KB4TXT

Are you talking about the Moteck Digibox Positioner? I wonder if it will move the big dish?
Norman KB4TXT

Moteck Digibox Positioner.
How do it work? lol
Do you run your FTA reveiver to it first.
Then it controls your BUD ????
Any help would be nice.

It's pretty straightforward.

DVB receiver --> VBOX ---> DiSEqC Switch (optional) ---> LNB(s)

Also coming off the VBOX is four spring terminals to control to the actuator.

The VBOX connects just like a normal H-H motor would, only it's right at the reciever vs out at the pole.

Shawn, Have mercy on me. I am new and getting my feet wet.

FTA receiver --> "VBOX". Call me dumb. What is VBOX?

Norman

norman said:
Shawn, Have mercy on me. I am new and getting my feet wet.

FTA receiver --> "VBOX". Call me dumb. What is VBOX?

Norman
The VBOX is the box that translates DiSEqC 1.2 commands to positons for a linear actuator on a BUD.

The Digibox serves a similar function, only for the H-H motors such as the SG2100. Some of the older receivers won't control a motor and the digibox is basically a stand alone DiSEqC controller. It won't help you to move the big dish.

Moteck also makes a 'VBOX II' which is supposed to be 'better' than the VBOX from DMSi. DrHydro is testing one over in the C-band forum to see if it works out any better than the VBOX DP-710 (VBOX for short).

My DP-710 has the same symptoms that many others are having problems with. It seems to 'drift' the satellite positions as new ones are saved so it's very likely that you'll have to fine tune the dish every time it moves. It's pretty annoying.

The only dumb question are the ones we don't ask :).

Shawn

So this is what I think I understand.

FTA Receiver to the VBOV.
Vbox controls the BUD.
Then from VBOX to DiSEqC Switch.
DiSEqC Switch to eather one or more LNB's

Am I correct, the DiSEqC Switch can go to multi lnb's?

Norman

norman said:
So this is what I think I understand.

FTA Receiver to the VBOV.
Vbox controls the BUD.
Then from VBOX to DiSEqC Switch.
DiSEqC Switch to eather one or more LNB's

Am I correct, the DiSEqC Switch can go to multi lnb's?

Norman
Exactly correct.

If you are using that quad feedhorn then you might concider a multiswitch so that you can select your polarity via voltage vs by a DiSEqC port. You'd also be able to choose C/Ku via a 22k tone.

It would also work using a 4x1 DiSEqC switch, but you'd have to setup a seperate sat for each polarity in the receiver.

If you plan on having multiple receivers it gets more complicated. That quad feedhorn was made so that multiple recievers could use the H/V polarities at the same time. Unless you got that feedhorn free (nice find if you did!) I think you'll find that it is VERY expensive, not to mention that you need to buy 4 LNBs.

Shawn

The Quad was not Free. Boy do I wish it was.
I have a 12' BUD Fiberglass that I will be using the with the Quad feedhorn.
My 7.5' Dish will be my c/ku plaything.

I have read the problem that Drhydro and the other guys have had with the VBOX's.

I think I have a challenge. Now I need to find a used VBOX to rev-eng to see what makes it tick. I love seeing what makes thing tick.

Right now I am working on a design for a small, 4meter, Simulsat dish. The big simulsat dish's are way too costley.

Norman

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts