Please reply by conversation.

kb2kir

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 18, 2007
Norwich, NY
Hi, I'm new to FTA,
So if I've posted in the wrong place, please don't flame me,
let me know, and I will take care of it.
Many Noob questions for you.
I have just purchased a Coolsat 6000 reciever. I have a friend giving me a 1.2 meter dish. My question is what LNB should I use? Linear or circular?
Any specific brand that works best?
I have an old Dish 500 and LNB. Is this LNB of any use?
Does this site offer an FAQ as I am sure you have answered these questions a thousand times before.
Thanks,
Joe

Hi, I'm new to FTA,
welcome :wave
So if I've posted in the wrong place, please don't flame me,
let me know, and I will take care of it.
we don't flame here. We're all one happy (dysfunctional) group of people who love FTA :)
Many Noob questions for you.
I have just purchased a Coolsat 6000 reciever. I have a friend giving me a 1.2 meter dish. My question is what LNB should I use? Linear or circular?
linear will work the best. circular is for the DBS satellites
Any specific brand that works best?
some people love the Invacom. I like the Sadoun LNB's (the invacom for me didnt work right)
I have an old Dish 500 and LNB. Is this LNB of any use?
What can I get with a Dish500?
Does this site offer an FAQ as I am sure you have answered these questions a thousand times before.
Thanks,
Joe

We have one but that is what makes this site different than others. We don't say "do a search" or "read the FAQ". We've answered the same questions numerous times because we were all new to FTA too. Now don't get me wrong, I would read through some of the posts to see if anything interests you but if you have a question, we won't flame you if it was answered 2 weeks ago :)

starter plan

Here's just one list of many, showing the available FTA programming on Ku band.

Tell us more about your dish.
Did it come with an LNB and/or feed horn?
Probably just aiming it at one satellite (of your choice) would be a good way to get started.

The guys here are happy to help folks who make the effort to get into FTA.

If you're still looking for that FAQ, you'll find it here.

I noted that the responses are from senior members!! Thanks for the welcome.
I should be getting the receiver in the coming week, so I'll try to set it up next weekend.
Anole, I haven't seen the dish, it's a round 1.2 meter with the feed arm
I have the cable and mount still on my roof (flat) from my old Direcway system.
So no drilling required. My intention is to use that cable and mount.
Joe

I notice you said your getting a 1.2m...if your getting a channel master your directway mount will not work. Like I said I dont know what 1.2m your getting, but if its a channel master the az/el mount requires a 3 inch pipe. If you can report back as to what kind of dish and if its coming with a az/el mount or a polor mount. Az/el is for pointing to a fixed posistion and polor is for tracking an arc.

Hang in there you'll get the hang of it.

Dont know about the direcway dish, but I had the directPC (2way) internet dish on my roof also. The lnb/dish will work for fta, though not as well as a bigger dish. If the cable is still run indoors, you may get some free-to=air tv off that dish, depending on what sat it was set on. I know they used Galaxy11 and Satmex5 and others for internet.
The direcPC dish works pretty well on one satellite-I just moved mine off Satmex5 a few degrees west to Galaxy10 and used that, before I got a bigger dish (on a pole in the backyard) What satellite is the direcway dish pointed at??

I am clueless as to the brand of dish, I pick it up tomorrow. This guy may also have an LNB also.
I also don't know the sat the Direcway was aimed at.
Turbosat: love the logo.... is it an evil petting zoo?
Joe

It was a freebie avatar, they're avail someplace here when you check your account pref. You could prob get 'something' on your direcpc dish , Im sure it was on a ku band satellite. If the cable's still hooked up at the dish I would fire that thing up and blind scan it if you already have a receiver. Call it whatever sat you want when you start the scan, set local osc (LO) at 10750 in your satellite setup, see what you get.
Post back if you find something and we can figure out what sat its on.

Got the dish

Ok. Picked up the dish today, it's a General Instrument # A12-10C.
Slightly eliptical, no LNB. Bought 2 from ebay one dual, one single.

Last edited:
if you can post a picture or two
i did a search and somewhere is says it is a 47" X 51" dish usually mated with a general instruments lnb 125c but can't find anymore info. this will make it a little difficulte to mate a replacement lnb, but i suspect you will be looking for a feedhorn real similar to the that fits the primestar round

No way to post pics.
Also, it has no mount. just the 3 alumium rods with threads at the end.
Brand new however. And the price was right
The gent who gave it to me made 3 small brackets to mount the lnb with a hose clamp at 32.5" .If you know of a mount to fit this dish, "steer" me in the right direction.
Joe

best I can do

The guys could give you superb advice if they knew exactly what you had.

But, baring that, check out this thread on mating Primestar dishes to an SG2100 motor.
Not so much that I'm suggesting a motor.
Got to walk before you run.
But, the fellows in that thread came up with multiple amazing ideas to replace the heavy Primestar mount with something lighter.
You might get some ideas on fabricating a little mount of your own.

Measurements of the dish, pictures of course, or a link to a web page discussing the dish... anything would help. :cool:

LNB Mount

Sorry, for not being clear.
I was refering to the LNB mount.
The dish came with a polar mount with threaded adjustments.
Fine threads !
Its already on the roof, waiting for the reciever and LNB to arrive....
I'll take some measurements tonight after dinner if I don't go flying.
Thanks,
Joe

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)