FTA: NTSC or PAL?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hibernicus

Original poster
Dec 1, 2007
As I wait for my dish to arrive, I've been looking at some of the settings of my Pansat box. I noticed that it can output both NTSC and PAL. Are there any PAL Ku-band channels?
My TV displays PAL fairly well. If set the output to Auto will it pass the PAL channels to my TV unchanged?

Occasionally I have seen PAL feeds.

If you set the receiver to PAL it will convert all broadcasts to PAL, if you set it to NTSC it will convert all broadcasts to NTSC.

the conversion process isnt steller, at least on my fortec and dreambox it isnt, gets glitchy during fast scenes. but at least its watchable.

Best way is just keep it at no conversion at all and just pass it through in NTSC or PAL format natively.

Your TV will adjust automatically to both formats.:)

Thanks a lot guys!

I'm getting antsy waiting for my dish :). I want to prepare as much as possible so I can jump right in as soon as the UPS truck pulls up.

PAL or NTSC refers to the video resolution. In Europe and Some other parts of the world, they use PAL. In the USA, we use NTSC.

Usually, in the setup menu of the receiver, you select the type of TV signal format output you want. So, if a channel broadcasts in PAL over satellite, but your TV only accepts NTSC signal, then your receiver will convert the video output from PAL into NTSC automatically.

Best way is just keep it at no conversion at all and just pass it through in NTSC or PAL format natively.

Your TV will adjust automatically to both formats.:)
oi wouldnt that be nice but for 99% of people its not true...

some tv's will auto switch from PAL to NTSC, but its far from the norm. Some tv's will tolerate PAL to different degree's, some wont tolerate it at all.

some will display PAL but will cut off the bottom,
some will display PAL but in B&W,
some wont display PAL at all, my 50" pany plasna sais no usable signal.
most will scroll real fast and will be of no use to you.

there are very very few tv's that will auto switch from NTSC to PAL and display both correctly.

My cheapo 19" CRT TV "rolls" when it sees a PAL signal. Luckily, my DVD recorder (Liteon 5005) does recognize PAL signals and converts them to NTSC. My Visionsat also will convert PAL signals to NTSC. The only PAL signal I have seen yet is Aghapy on Galaxy 26 Ku (93W).

In my experience, you just set the receiver to output NTSC and don't worry about what the original channel is, if it's PAL it will convert it for you.

Actually, I think NTSC, PAL and SECAM refer to analog broadcasts exclusively, defining number of scan lines, frequency, etc. DVB is DVB everywhere.

I know my TV will display a 480i signal (NTSC) or 576i (PAL). I guess I'll have to play around with it when my dish arrives.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)