FTA Only?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
You know, I think someone could start a viable business offering just FTA and OTA installation. Set a flat rate for, say, a rooftop antenna and 3 Ku Band dishes, and advertise the channel lineup you'd get in fliers and commercials and such.

Installation would be fine but if you charged a monthly fee you would go to the pokey pretty quick for violating copyright laws. Unfortunatly there is no easy ride in this world. Just don't want anybody to get the wrong idea out there. Also some of those channels you listed aren't published as ITC and I'll bet they would scramble pretty quick once word got around that the pizza guys were losing business.

Topfield 2100

I dont know if this is the place to ask but doe any one know about the topfield SRP-2100 i think it does S2/S28psk Blind Scan right out of the box?.Thanks

The biggest part of my tv is watched on cable. but I have hi speed internet , and I only have my locals channels only. I can get them OTA but the wife will not let me do away with the high speed.

I don't have cable, so I'm just OTA and FTA now. I live in a major city, so I get all of the local HD channels.

Add in some of the online services like Hulu and stations' local pages and there's little reason to pay an obscene price for cable. I'm not paying money for a load of crappy reality TV shows and the three channels I might like.

Besides, all I need for news coverage on TV is 97 West. Between Al-Jazeera and mHz, there's no need for the screaming heads on CNN/FOX/MSNBC.

FTA (C and Ku-Band), OTA, and cable here. Have basic analog cable for the high speed internet connection. Couldn't live without high speed internet. Could live without cable, though...

Quick story...

I spent a few nights at my parents home last winter. They have cable TV. I tell you this, I would not watch that crap if the cable company paid ME! It was horrible. What few channels that I have here on FTA satellite far out-performs what they had. I didn't want to tell my Mom that much as their sub for the cable was a gift from my brother (he pays it for them).

But I can tell you all. It really was bad. I couldn't stand it and wanted to be back home, here, so that I could watch my own stuff.

What I saw there was simply repeats all day long. The next day, it was the same shows once again. When I used to have a subscription to DN , even the movie channels were the same way.

One good movie once in a great while, if you were lucky enough to catch it, then the entire remainder of the month was filled will the same damned lame movie over and over again!

And, since I work nights, I had no choice but to watch paid programming! UUuggghhh!

Nope, I won't "pay" for garbage service ever again! If I lose all the FTA channels that I have now, I just won't watch television. It just isn't that important to me. It isn't worth that much. I can do without it all.

I have already rebelled at DN and DirecTV long ago... I cannot believe that my Mom is paying for cable (which is much worse)!

Oh well, I am just crazy I guess! But, I'd rather go fishing than watch TV if that is what it comes down to.

I'll buy the beer and the worms if anyone wants to go fishing with me. Bring your own pole, though. :)

RADAR

FTA and OTA only for me. I did put in a DN dish so the wife can watch the $10 Dish Net stuff...WE, Oxygen, etc...I get about 35 OTA channels but rarely watch them except for local news. Seems lately I'm watching the Cband stuff. I miss all the old Equity channels and a few others we've lost in the last year or so. Blind

OTA and FTA seem to make most of us happy, as it does me. We only get 8 OTA channels here, one only in digital format, the rest are still analog. Our county has been playing with setting up the repeaters as digital, so we get one channel for a while, then another, that'll be for a week or so, then they'll change to yet another, but still only one at a time. Living in Arizona, but getting a digital Las Vegas channel sucks, but the FTA keeps us happy without having bills from Direc or Dish.

And the more I hear about Netflix, the more I like the idea.

I bought Phottoette a 42" Plasma for her birthday, and only get the one digital channel (with one subchannel, in Spanish, so that doesn't count) I was thinking that a Blue Ray for Christmas would be a good idea, and it seems that they almost all connect to the Internet (which we have here, high speed) so maybe she'll get to watch more of the programming that she likes.

Photto

FTA only. Am thinking of Blu Ray/Netflix to supplement the multiregion DVDs we watch now. Only one possible OTA channel is available, and it would involve a tower, and frankly, I like the idea of a few more dishes better. Could put on a lab coat and act like a mad scientist in my back yard.

WOW, I am amazed to find so many who rely solely on FTA and / or OTA for programming.

FTA + OTA + a blu-ray player with a $9 Netflix subscription might be the answer.

The only benefit the small pizza dishes have is ease of use and DVR functionality combined with a program guide. This makes it easier for my spouse and daughter, but I'm sure they will learn quickly how to scan satellites and find the programming they desire.

...a $9 Netflix subscription might be the answer.

I bought a "cheap" Insignia brand bluray player from Best Buy and I am very happy with it especially for Netflix. :up

First of all I do not even bother with the DVDs from Netflix yet, just the streaming. The player is a basic no wifi capable but from what I hear there is a better chance of glitching with wifi. This was on sale for $99 and I am keeping it. I tried a Samsung and LG for their streaming features and was not impressed. The Insignia has more tabs for movies to select from so that means you do not have to use the computer much to make choices. The Samsung just kept a list of movies that were selected by me on the computer and placed in my account.

The Insignia works GREAT! :)

I have Dish's Welcome Pack for $9.99 that includes 20 channels plus their free public interest channels. It includes HGTV & TLC that my wife likes and AMC that I like as well. A decent selection of pay TV for $9.99 IMHO and if you get a Dish DVR 501 or 508 (not 510) you get basic DVR functionality for no additional monthly cost.

Combine that with OTA+FTA and I think it is a great combo for not a lot of money.

I have Dish's Welcome Pack for $9.99 that includes 20 channels plus their free public interest channels. It includes HGTV & TLC that my wife likes and AMC that I like as well. A decent selection of pay TV for $9.99 IMHO and if you get a Dish DVR 501 or 508 (not 510) you get basic DVR functionality for no additional monthly cost.

Combine that with OTA+FTA and I think it is a great combo for not a lot of money.

$10 per month? That isn't bad! That isn't a promo where the price will go up after a year or so, is it?

I wouldn't need it myself since I already have more than I can watch, but that is not a bad price, especially if you include the DVR.

RADAR

I dumped cable in August and haven't regretted it. Had the pizza dish from both providers in the past. I get around 40 channels ota from 2 major cities, so the locals are covered. I have ku & cband and even though the wife can't operate either system, I love searching for stuff to watch. I catch a lot of sports with my Azbox, so I don't think I miss too much from subscription tv. I like flipping through the channels (Isn't that what men do). Haven't missed pay tv at all.

Installation would be fine but if you charged a monthly fee you would go to the pokey pretty quick for violating copyright laws. Unfortunatly there is no easy ride in this world. Just don't want anybody to get the wrong idea out there. Also some of those channels you listed aren't published as ITC and I'll bet they would scramble pretty quick once word got around that the pizza guys were losing business.

I'm saying to charge specifically for installation. You can advertise "$0 a month!!!"

And besides History Channel and Biography Channel, they other two ARE listed as ITC. BYU TV posts the coordinates on their website, and when I asked ONN how I could receive their channel from Seattle, they said I would need a professional satellite set up, so ONN must know we're out here.

The rest are Digital Subchannels.

FTA and OTA since 9/2007. I recently got a limited directv service with HD so I could get Center Ice hockey, but it is TERRIBLE..very few games in HD that I want to see, and no Versus....next year they will be gone....

But everything else we watch is on FTA or OTA. We get by quite nicely, but then its just me and my wife, no kiddies. :D

I'm saying to charge specifically for installation. You can advertise "$0 a month!!!"

And besides History Channel and Biography Channel, they other two ARE listed as ITC. BYU TV posts the coordinates on their website, and when I asked ONN how I could receive their channel from Seattle, they said I would need a professional satellite set up, so ONN must know we're out here.

The rest are Digital Subchannels.

ONN is a pretty good FTA channel, I have seen them re air newscasts from other stations around the state as well as some sports.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)