FTA package deals- questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

SATisfied

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Lineboro, MD
I am new to the satellite tv community. I am presently looking to purchase an FTA satellite package deal from one of the sponsors listed above. I have a few questions:

1. Are these package deals complete? will I need to get anything extra that is not in the package. I am starting with nothing but a TV and outside antenna.

2. I noticed that there are stationary dishes w/ multiple LNB's that can recieve signals from 3 or more satellites at the same time, and there are the dishes w/ rotors that move east to west to pick up signals from different sats. w/ a single LNB. Which is better and why? I've been researching this site and others and trying to get the most bang for the buck.

3. Also, I was hoping to keep the cost down to $400 or less. Can I get set up w/ FTA on this budget? Any input appreciated. Thanks. I chose my username in the hopes that that is what I'll be when I'm all set up.

Hello and WELCOME to the SatelliteGuys.US FTA forum!

Great idea to buy from one of our sponsors here, you will not go far wrong there :up

1/ Double check exactly what you get, but usually all you would need to add to a package deal is some RG6 coax and grounding materials. Many packages even come with a self install kits!

2/ I prefer a dish with a motor, then all the satellites in your view of the Clarke belt can potentially be accessed. With a fixed dish with a few LNB's you are stuck on the satellites you are pointed at! With a motorized dish the WHOLE dish is pointing at the satellite giving much better signal quality!

3/ I am sure you will have some change left from $400 for some popcorn :)

We always recommend a motorized dish package.. Pete is dead on with that and even with the warmer weather arriving soon (I hope, good bye Feb!), it is much easier to change the dish position with a rotor, rather than going outside to manually move the dish, or setting up multiple dishes.

Try to find out what others in your area are using for dish size to know whether they get the signals you desire.

Blind scan or power scan is essential for searching out new feeds on your own. The speed of the blind scan may or may not be something worth paying more for. I'm ok with a 20 minute long blind scan of one satellite, although I wish it was faster.

I would not have been happy if I didn't get a motorized system. Although its not the only one, I'm happy with an SG2100. I'm sure the others are good too. Some may have better quality gears in them. I believe they are all slow. It takes me around 2 minutes to motor from Amazonas at 61W to G10R at 120 (?) W.

Tim
When you need to motor from one end of the arc to the other, make sure to pick a Horizontal transponder....more juice goes to the motor (18Volts vs. 13 on a Vertical TP) so it gets there faster :)

Main reason I keep Research & UWTV in my box :)

Iceberg said:
Tim
When you need to motor from one end of the arc to the other, make sure to pick a Horizontal transponder....more juice goes to the motor (18Volts vs. 13 on a Vertical TP) so it gets there faster :)

Main reason I keep Research & UWTV in my box :)

Thanks for the suggestion,

You could have a column named "Tip of the Iceberg":D

TiminMb said:
You could have a column named "Tip of the Iceberg":D

Thats funny (and creative) :)

Oneof the reasons I figurd that out is on a calm night I can hear the motor move (the dish/motor is right above me on the roof) and when I am in a H tranponder, you hear it move. A V one you can barely hear it :)

and it takes FOREVER to move from SBS6 to G10 on a vertical TP. Horizontal is maybe 30 seconds (or less)

Thanks for the feedback guys. That helps a lot. I'll probably be ordering my package before the weekend.

Just one other question. I saw the Twinhan PC card to watch satellite on the pc. If get one of these cards to record on my pc, can I still just use one dish or do I need another, or would I just need another DiSEq switch? Does the Twinhan card control a rotor? Would this scenario conflict with a receiver connected to the same dish?

Usually you can just slave the card off the receiver, then one dish will do it all! One short run of coax from the receiver LNB IF, to the "LNB In" on the card will do it!

You will be stuck on the same polarity as the master receiver, but thats no big deal.

Or you can just disconnect the receiver and use the card, PC DVB cards will drive a motor :)

But only use the card OR the receiver to motor or all your satellite positions will be messed up!

You would need two LNBs (or a dual or a quad) to have the card control the motor too. Otherwise you could slave the card off the receiver, although you can only use one polarity at a time and it won't control the motor.

If any one is still reading this thread, I have another question. I plan to mount my dish on my outside tv antenna pole which is about 1 1/2" dia.. How important is it to have the pole running perfectly vertical ( or plumb ) ? Would it skew the alignment of the dish to the Clarke Belt? If so, I'll have to realign the pole.

Pole MUST be bang on plumb and level when using a motor!

I even take into account the weight of the dish and motor when setting up a motorized system, its that important!

If the pole is not exactly plumb and level EVERYTHING will be off!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)