FTA PC card for HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I must be confused, I didn't think anything DSS was FTA, even audio (like Dish's unencrypted music channels)... :shocked

If you were close , geographically , I have a 10' dish I would give you .

I did the mini-but thing too .

It encouraged me to start scrounging buds .

Wyr

few Qs regarding this topic

I am very new to this. Pls allow my naive.
1) I have a intel core 2 due 6400 @ 2.13GH/2GB ram/geFore6700t/320GB HD, will it be OK for the task of HDTV for PC?
2) what kind of HDTV signal will be received through the dish of the satellite? dish network or direct TV? Do these two need decode?
3) what is the resolution of the HDTV from the PC card? 720p?/1080i? Can the signal be exported to HDTV from the card by using S-cable?
thanks.

Like, maybe here? :D

I've used a Twinhan 102g, which is supposed to be very similar, if not the same, as other Twinhan DVB-S models. I think when I initially did research on it it was described as a "1020 without the overheating issues." As previously stated, the codec and pc make all the difference in decoding HD. On my last rig (Athlon64 2GHz 3000+ / 1GB DDR RAM) I could receive HD, but at about 2-3 fps. I used a codec that came with some DVD software I had installed (sorry, I forget which but someone will pipe up). Now that I have a brand new setup (AMD64 X2 2.6GHz 5200+ / 2GB DDR2 RAM) I'm eager to get another one of these cards and try again!

The only problem I had was I never got USALS to work, but I'm going to blame that on the motor. Because it certainly couldn't be OE (Operator Error). Oh no. :eek:

Not sure whether this rates its own thread, but figured I'd give a heads-up to anyone looking to buy a DVB card soon. As I said, I couldn't find a (new) card for much under $70+ unless I went all the way back to a VP 1020a, which are known for being rather toasty. I decided I really wanted a 1025 or 1027; the only difference I could find is that the 1027 doubles as a video-capture device as well. I don't care about that, so the 1025 became my beast of choice.

Remembering how I got a great deal on my old 102g watching the right auction at the right time, I scoured Ebay for awhile. Finally found a seller named "fido-dido999" of all things that has dropped his price down to $50 Or Best Offer with $20 shipping... from Taiwan. I figured, what the heck, I have no dish yet and am in no real hurry with nothing to lose- I offered him $40. He accepted it almost immediately, so I spent $60 shipping included on a brand new Twinhan 1025 with remote etc! I then settled in to wait for it to arrive. I ordered it March 2nd (Friday night) about 8pm. They tried to deliver it at 10am this morning! I will go pick it up tomorrow, but I wanted to share this with anyone looking for a deal. It wouldn't hurt to try a $35 offer and see if you can get it even cheaper. I'm all for supporting our wonderful sponsors, but a deal is a deal, and most of them (the ones that carry DVB cards) are either out of stock or are $70+ not including shipping.

I have a 1020a on the way...my HP has enough fans in it at full song they sound like a 747 taking off so I don't know about heat issues...but I'll let you know if I do.....

I saw that guy from Taiwan on Ebay...but I wanted a 1020a....especially after some consulatation with a valued member of Satelliteguys...who informed me it was the best choice. :D

Newbie question here.... Will the 1025 board handle the 4:2:2 HD feeds as well?

Yes... it's not up to the board as the board simply sends the signal taken from the coax to the DVB app. It's up to the DVB app and the codecs to handle the rest.

And let me tell you, if you just think you're gonna plug it in and watch TV, don't be fooled. I got mine installed today, and I tried the Twinhan software...there are 19 MILLION options to do everything but light my cigar and put splenda in my coffee. Holy crud how confusing! its gonna take me MONTHS to figure this out! :mad:

Sort of along the same lines- I've done a lot of Google-ing and can't find an answer for this. What (other than appearance and original release date) is the difference between the Twinhan cards? 1020a, 1025, 102g, 1027... they all appear to have identical specs and perform the same functions. Does anyone know if there's any advantage having one over the other? All I've found out is the older cards are generally slightly cheaper. Looks like I'm going to pay $70 or more with shipping if I want anything newer than a 1020a, and even $60+ for one of those. I've owned a 102g and was pretty happy with that... is there an advantage to getting the 1027?

Just to confuse things more, Digiwave has a "103g" card for about $65 shipped. Better, worse, apples and oranges...? Trying to be smart and do my homework before dropping money, but I can't find any data! Really hating the 'hackable market,' I remember when I bought my 102g for $35 during 'down time.' :D

Oh, and as a side note I don't think system speed is going to be an issue no matter what card I get (say, for 4:2:2 feeds). Every two to three years I build myself a pretty top-of-the-line new pc, so as of a few weeks ago I have:

AMD64 X2 (Dual Core) AM2 5200+ @ 2.81GHz
PCIe 16X Radeon X1900 256MB Videocard
Over 1 Terrabyte of hd space (SATA)
2GB of DDR2 800 RAM

The 1025 was the low profile version of the 1020 (I believe). The only difference was that it was low profile (wich made it easier to use in SFF systems). I have no clue on the differences between the others, I ended up finding the best deal I could on any of them (because I believe they are all pretty much the same card). I paid $30ish shipped for it (I dont remember the exact $ amount but in was in that ballpark. I got it from ebay though and got no support (it was supposed to come with a 2x1 switch which I desperatly needed but didnt receive, when I said something to the buyer about it I got the ole cold shoulder). Luckily the card worked.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)