FTA problems for a Brit

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mikem1226

Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Hi guys, I'm very, very new to this FTA, I've arrived from the UK and bought a house in Florida, beatiful state, anyway my problem is trying to set up this Coolsat 4000 Pro that I bought off ebay and the existing dish that was used for Direct TV, it has 3 LNBs and I really dont know if I need to change any settings on the receiver, also which satellitte would be the best for my area, I'm at Hernando County on the West coast. Many thanks

Hi Mike and welcome!!!
First of all, the Direct TV dish is not compatible with your Coolsat. For FTA you'll need a dish at least 30" across (or larger) with a linear LNB. Many people like to start with G18 because there is a lot of good free programming there with the RTN feeds. From there the sky's the limit.
Check with some of the sponsors here for a new dish that will fit your needs and do as much reading here as you can. FTA is a wonderful hobby and a great way to get TV for Free!!
Check out "The List" here SatelliteGuys.US - TheList it will give you a good idea of what's up there and on what satellite. You'll be looking for the Ku band section.

Good luck and happy reading!!! Any more questions just ask, everyone here is very helpful!

You can get all of these FTA satellites.
That list is arranged by language spoken, if that's of any help.

I agree with Inno that you should probably first start with a 36" dish aimed at 123° w.
It's now called G18, but prior to this summer, it was known as G10r (the satellite was replaced)
So if you want to search our threads for info, keep that in mind.
Here's the RTN (Retro Television Network) programming he spoke of.
If you'll tell us your preference in programming, maybe we can suggest other satellites.

You can pickup NASA off 119°W using a DirecTV PhaseIII dish. I did that initially before I got my 36" motorized setup.
LNB: standard
LO: 11250
22Khz: ON
Freq: 12370
Polarity: Vertical or Right
Symbol: 20000

Scan for FTA only and you should find NASA. Then order up a real FTA dish. :)
Note that FTA in the mind of the eBay seller didn't necessarily mean real, legal FTA so follow the advice of the other posters about getting at least a 90CM dish (and a motor later) and enjoy a lot of interesting content.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts