FTA - PVR and external hard drive.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pasta

Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
Hi all!

I just bougth a ConaxSat Duo receiver and I'd like to use it PVR capabilities. I know that I need a USB 2.0 external hard drive to connect the FTA receiver to. But the question I have in mind is if it is possible to connect a NAS network Hard Drive like a Buffalo LinkStation Live or a Synology DS-106j through the NAS USB port?

I'd like to be able to use the NAS as PVR storage and Network drive for my other computers.

Thanks in advance,

Pat

Ok, I think you would get more response if you posted this in the FTA area, but anyways it just so happens that I have a TRIO and a NAS setup from Buffalo.

The USB port on the back of the Buffalo is cantankerous at best. It's really more for the NAS to offload onto than to go reverse. It can be done, but the software is flunky for it overall.

Can I ask what sats you are aimed at that you would possibly need all that storage on the receiver? I have an 80 gig in a USB2.0 enclosure and I think I would have a very hard time filling it up.

I aimed at B3V. Why I'm thinking of a NAS and 250Go is because I would mainly like to use this NAS as my network storage (file server) and/or backup for my three computers in the house.

So If I understand, I'm better to go "straight USB hard drive" way than NAS?

Are you serious? Regular channels are not free???? I don't know, I'm new to FTA... So you tell me that there is few fta channels on B3V ? :(

Is there any other sat, that I can look at, that have more fta channels?

That's a bad news! :mad:

Serious as a heart attack. Cmon, Bell expressvu is a subscription service. Not a good business model to have a subscription service with no way to stop people from getting them for free. Almost all channels on bell sats are encrypted.

There are lots of sats with FTA channels, but you'll need at least a 30 inch dish for most of them and a linear LNB. What equipment do you have now?

here's a decent list of channels and what sats they are on btw.
http://www.global-cm.net/MPEGlistKuBandUS.html

Hi all!

I just bougth a ConaxSat Duo receiver and I'd like to use it PVR capabilities. I know that I need a USB 2.0 external hard drive to connect the FTA receiver to. But the question I have in mind is if it is possible to connect a NAS network Hard Drive like a Buffalo LinkStation Live or a Synology DS-106j through the NAS USB port?

I'd like to be able to use the NAS as PVR storage and Network drive for my other computers.

Thanks in advance,

Pat
Back on topic, this is how Dish should have done their DVRs to begin with. Basic box that talks to an external hard drive. The endless wait for external storage would be moot.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)