Status
Please reply by conversation.

JFOK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
Cape Cod - MA.
Hi All,

I know this has been asked before, but I need some quick clarification.
I was recently given a relatively new Dish Net Plus dish (approx. 30") by a friend who decided to switch to cable. This dish has two LNBs attached. My question...I want to use it as a fixed dish and am wondering if I have to switch out the LNBs...and if so, with what ?
I'm very new to the small dish FTA scene, having had a BUD dish since 1991. Thought I'd see what I could do with a smaller dish. Still keeping the BUD...BTW.
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You will need a linear LNBF, either standard (recommended) or universal.

I am not familiar with Dishnet dishes but not many of them have linear LNBFs, most are circular polarity. Someone here will know the polarity of the one you have though, most likely.

Not much you can do with it - bit small and the LNB mounting system doesn't lend it self to linear LNB's.
Bob

Thanks phlatwound and wescopc for your replies.
I'm not looking to get the full spectrum as I can do that with my BUD.
However, I thought it might be usable as a fixed dish for a strong satellite with the proper set up.

John

...However, I thought it might be usable as a fixed dish for a strong satellite with the proper set up...

I'm sure you will have to devise a means of mounting a suitable LNBF and get it at the focal point, but if that dish is 30" elliptical it should definitely pick up at least some strong Ku transponders. Worth experimenting with IMO, as long as your expectations are reasonable.

I have one of those dishes modified for FTA. It is not perfect but works. I used a Titanium Satellite PLL-1KS LNBF.

Build a cardboard template to locate the existing LNBF face (center one), remove existing LNBF, use template to locate the FTA LNBF in the same position. Allow for some fore-aft adjustment as the plastic feed cover may be 'thinner' on one or the other.
Should work fairly well. 97W, 30W??

Thanks to all of you who responded to my post.
I appreciate the suggestions and will keep you updated as I experiment with this dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)