FTA receiver with Dish 1000 dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

driver8

Original poster
Nov 25, 2007
Hello all,
Theoretically speaking, if a person had moved to a location where a Dish Network 1000 setup was previously in use, and the dish, LNB and cabling were still in place, could a person hook up a FTA receiver and receive channels? Just wondering... Thoughts...

ZD

Short answer NO.

Long answer Since the dish is probably still pointing at the dish sats, you could receive a couple channels (NASA and some other promo channels or something) if you knew how to handle the bandstacking that dish lnb's do (you have a dish 1000 so it's using 3 DP or 1 integrated DPP LNB). Also odds are I think that LNB power requirements would kill a fta receiver eventually.
If you hook up an FTA receiver and it starts getting other channels, such as USA or Sci-Fi, then that receiver is loaded with illegal software and what you are doing is illegal.

If you really want to get into FTA, get a bigger dish and some standard LNB's.

Thanks for the info. I am interested in getting into FTA. Not to waste anybody's time, is there somewhere you guys can direct me to for newbie info? I am fairly technical, I just am not sure what is the best setup for me to purchase. I want HD content with PVR if possible. It appears I need a receiver, dish, some configuration of LNBs and a motor. Is this accurate? Suggestions for hardware?

Thanks Again.

I could recommend a few things and so could many of the members here.

Please take the time to read up here on the hobby and what it entails. Everyone here is very helpful. Feel free to ask questions ( but please don't ask blindly, at least try to search first :) )

Check out thelist here for what is available FTA wise on a regular basis. Also realize there is so much more (especially sports) that pop up for the event only.

Check out the site sponsors, SatelliteAV and GoSatellite and also, a former sponsor Sadoun.com for FTA setups and packages.

Shop around for HD and PVR stuff. It's still kind of new for the FTA community.

Oh yea, welcome to satelliteguys

Only one HD channel 24/7 on Ku, and that is PBS-HD. There are a handful 24/7 on C-Band (6 foot dish minimum).

Feeds on both C and Ku are another story. Lots of sports feeds in HD pop up on Ku during games ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)