FTA reciever that will play rtsp streams?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rsmithwi

On Vacation
Original poster
May 14, 2014
Land of 10,000 taxes!
Do any of the new FTA receivers play an rtsp stream from a local source?. I want to view an IP camera from the lan on a tv rather than a pc (i.e. VLC). If anyone has any info that would be appreciated. I am having a tough time finding a box that will.

I ask about sat receivers as they do allot more than just display a/v from satellites these days. An all in one would be great.

Amiko A3.

Screenshot_2014-08-23-21-20-29.png

This is a screenshot of the Android Play store on my little tablet but these same apps are available on the Play Store through the Amiko A3. It’s a computer, same as a tablet or a desktop or a smartphone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Titanium
That is exactly what I need!!. Thank you, will look into getting one ASAP. I like the fact it does satellite and media in one box. Have too many different pieces of equipment to do the various needs and would like to combine them.

From the very beginning I wanted a single box that does it all. The closest thing to that was some variety of the Azbox but it had a lot of issues, one of them being it didn’t do ATSC which is important for me.
They discontinued them anyway so I never got one.

When I saw the A3 I thought “Hmm, could that be the mythical ~One box to rule them all~ ?”
I seems that very likely it is. I guess it will be a while longer before I know for sure since I messed mine up.

As I sit here and play with my little Android tablet I can see that the A3 will do all those same things plus a whole lot more.

Being that it’s a full computer, I am starting to have some great ideas of things I would eventually like to do with it.
I wish Whitesprings.tv was still around. They finally died. I guess there’s a skeleton sitting at the controls over there.
Being able to watch IPTV is a great feature I’ve long wanted. I have a Roku 3 and while you can do that, it’s not very easy to do, they like to keep you within their garden walls.

What if you don't do touchscreens, and you don't know Android from Deltoid? But, you just want to scan everything for any signals you can get, radio, tv, sat, and IP, and do some web browsing too! Would this A3 be good for me? How is the blind scanning? ... sorry to hijack the thread ;)

What if you don't do touchscreens, and you don't know Android from Deltoid? But, you just want to scan everything for any signals you can get, radio, tv, sat, and IP, and do some web browsing too! Would this A3 be good for me? How is the blind scanning? ... sorry to hijack the thread ;)

Ok, well let me say a little on this Android business.

I’m not much of a tech wizard like you guys,, I really just started messing with satellites about, I dunno, maybe 5 years ago I think?
And being someone that is paranoid of google and the internet in general, I have never before owned or used an android device or google service.

I’m a photographer and an Apple fan girl. I’ve been using Macs and iPhones and iPads for quite a long time. (I also despise windows and don’t use it except for an HTPC)
I do however consider myself very adept in the world of OSX/iOS and Apple stuff.

In preparation of getting an Amiko A3 I bought some cheapy little chinese phone/tablet aka Phablet to use as a controller for the A3. I also intend to use it with my DSLR.

When I got the little tablet, about a week before the A3 came in, I powered it up and I was like WTF IS THIS BULL**** !!???!??!?!?!?!
I totally flipped out. I hated it, I despised it, I didn’t understand it, not at all, not even a little bit.
I spent two or three days swiping things, opening, closing, killing, trying to delete chinese gibberish things, and lots of cursing.

I had no flippin clue what I was doing. I had entered into an alien world and was lost, big times.
But I looked up some youtube videos of someone unboxing one of the little tablets like I have and I watched them change it to English.
That was the first step in the right direction. Then I watched a few videos on the google play store.

I was extremely upset at the permissions that some of the apps wanted. So I went looking for a way to fix that before I went any further.
That took me to a site that let me “root” the tablet which on Apple is called “Jailbreaking”.
Then I was able to install some apps from outside of the google garden walls that allowed me to take back control of the thing. Very aggressive ad blocking for instance.

I got rid of most of the chinese gibberish apps but some are baked in and I don’t yet know how to remove them but I’m going to keep at it until I do remove them or I break the tablet.

After about two weeks now I’ve figured out enough about it to be able to use it without looking like an idiot in front of friends now.

And for the 25 hours I had the A3 before I broke it really, really bad, I was able to make the tablet talk connect with the A3 and I was doing some really cool stuff with it.
With the Spark2 app I walked out into my backyard and stood next to my dishes and was watching TV on the tablet, coming from the A3 connected to the dishes I was standing next to.
I could move the dishes and change channels, out there in the yard, using my $87 chinese tablet.

One of the things I found in the A3, before I broke it, was that there were a TON of free IPTV channels. I watched one for awhile, some old, old, long forgotten movie from before my time. :)

What’s really excellent about the A3 is that it’s Android. And even though I don’t have it now because I broke it and had to send it back to be fixed, I still have my little Android tablet with is also Android and while I’m playing with it here and now, I’m learning how to use the A3 at the same time. Well, except for the satellite stuff which the tablet obviously can’t do.

Android is not that hard to figure out, it’s just DIFFERENT than what I’m used to. And when confronted with something new and different, I flip out, curse a lot and click everything.

Another thing, which is related to the original question, yes, you absolutely can use the A3 to view security cameras.
I’m doing it with my tablet so when my A3 comes back from repair I will be able to use the same app on the A3 to view my cameras.
We have had a lot of burglaries here over the years and several years ago my roommate and I had issues with two creeps that had made death threats against us.
I ended up having cameras put in and over the years I’ve expanded it a bit, added more cameras and a better DVR for recording.
Video from my cameras actually helped put two guys in prison for a very long time. :D

Screen shot from my tablet. (blurred a tad) My A3 will also do this.

Screenshot_2014-08-24-14-50-51.jpg

If I can figure out this stuff in two weeks you guys certainly can!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)